TDF 2021: Stage 18, Pau > Luz Ardiden 129.7 km **Spoilers**

Comments

• above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Not the Pyrenees, but doing the Izoard loop in the pissing rain resulted in three of us plus driver and bikes in a Fiat 500 L from Le Laus back to Briançon. Those things are ROOMY! Fiat can have that story for an advert if they want.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

Not the Pyrenees, but doing the Izoard loop in the pissing rain resulted in three of us plus driver and bikes in a Fiat 500 L from Le Laus back to Briançon. Those things are ROOMY! Fiat can have that story for an advert if they want.

I considered one of those when I was looking at a family car last year. They do look very practical
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    elbowloh said:

I once did Luz Arididen after a long long day in the saddle. A "bonus" col as it was sold to me.

Real mistake. 2/3rds of the way up we all were bonking. Turned back down to the final cornershoppy place and I remember we walked in like zombies and just started eating stuff straight off the shelf. It was like i could feel the sugar coursing through my veins, all the way to ends of my fingers and toes.

Eventually the guy carrying the kitty shuffled over to the counter and just asked how much it all was.

The top is really disappointing. Just a big carpark. I was sold a stunning view but it was all in cloud.

I did Tourmalet as part of L'etape in 2014. It started to get foggy and mizzly near the top, couldn't see sod all.

On the descent, they had marshals posted on every corner blowing whistles, so you could hear where the corner was, as you couldn't see it!

At the bottom in the town (sorry don't know the name) the main square was full of hundreds of riders wrapped in foil blankets suffering from hypothermia. Me and my ride buddies went to a café to warm up and have coffee as we were shaking uncontrollably.

The course ended with a mountain top finish at Hautacam.

then had to cycle back down the way we came to actually get to the the pasta party place etc.
    This describes the experience quite well

https://www.sportive.com/etape-du-tour/514656/wet-cold-and-hard-riding-the-2014-etape-du-tour
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    neonriver said:

First Tour since there founding that Ineos/Sky haven't won anything

What did they win in 10 and 14?
    Weren't in the race in 10

11 and 14 they took combativity awards on stages with Flecha and Nieve

Unless I've missed something, nothing this year
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,163

neonriver said:

Yes they were

• elbowloh said:

elbowloh said:

I once did Luz Arididen after a long long day in the saddle. A "bonus" col as it was sold to me.

Real mistake. 2/3rds of the way up we all were bonking. Turned back down to the final cornershoppy place and I remember we walked in like zombies and just started eating stuff straight off the shelf. It was like i could feel the sugar coursing through my veins, all the way to ends of my fingers and toes.

Eventually the guy carrying the kitty shuffled over to the counter and just asked how much it all was.

The top is really disappointing. Just a big carpark. I was sold a stunning view but it was all in cloud.

I did Tourmalet as part of L'etape in 2014. It started to get foggy and mizzly near the top, couldn't see sod all.

On the descent, they had marshals posted on every corner blowing whistles, so you could hear where the corner was, as you couldn't see it!

At the bottom in the town (sorry don't know the name) the main square was full of hundreds of riders wrapped in foil blankets suffering from hypothermia. Me and my ride buddies went to a café to warm up and have coffee as we were shaking uncontrollably.

The course ended with a mountain top finish at Hautacam.

then had to cycle back down the way we came to actually get to the the pasta party place etc.
    This describes the experience quite well

https://www.sportive.com/etape-du-tour/514656/wet-cold-and-hard-riding-the-2014-etape-du-tour

The photos like the ones in that always make me laugh. People spending £ks on aero bikes, then having to attach an A4-sized piece of card to the front
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,163
    Best result was a 2nd for Geraint Thomas behind Cancellara in the Cobbled stage

https://cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/race.asp?raceid=17882
  • above_the_cows

neonriver said:

2011 EBH won two stages.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,595
    Remember when Dave Brailsford said Sky would win the Tour in 5 years and everybody laughed? How times change.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091

On the other hand it lets me do my Carol Decker joke every year, so I quite appreciate going back t'Pau.

Carol Decker invented rap. In 1987. Which will come as something of a surprise to e.g. The Sugar Hill Gang

Does that mean UK drill is both black and Decker?
  • tailwindhome

neonriver said:

2011 EBH won two stages.
    Mea Culpa

2010 was indeed the first Tour for Sky.

Flecha took a combativity award that year

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    Great believer in the maxim that it's quicker to post something on the internet and have someone correct you than look it up for yourself

Occams Razor I believe it's called

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741

neonriver said:

2011 EBH won two stages.
    Mea Culpa

Should he manage it, does not Carapaz finishing on the podium count as something?
    (not much I know but.....)
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217

neonriver said:

2011 EBH won two stages.
    Mea Culpa

Was that the Hoogerland crash stage or was that the following year?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    r0bh said:

Bahrain Victorious were raided by Les Flics last night- it's just like the good old days!

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/police-raid-bahrain-victorious-hotel-at-tour-de-france/

I assume there was some form of intelligence behind this as surely a random spot check would have been better focussed on UAE?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,242

Just reminding everyone not to take us back to those times

Lance?
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    neonriver said:

Ebh won a stage 2010?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors

neonriver said:

Lol what year did ebh win a stage for them?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • above_the_cows

neonriver said:

Lol what year did ebh win a stage for them?

2011 EBH won two stages.

• above_the_cows
    Pross said:

r0bh said:

Bahrain Victorious were raided by Les Flics last night- it's just like the good old days!

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/police-raid-bahrain-victorious-hotel-at-tour-de-france/

I assume there was some form of intelligence behind this as surely a random spot check would have been better focussed on UAE?
    According to this https://theguardian.com/sport/2021/jul/15/police-search-bahrain-victorious-hotel-and-team-bus-at-tour-de-france it was some other team making allegations...

"In June this year, anonymous doping allegations against the team were made by rival team managers in Le Parisien, after the team took second place overall in the Giro d’Italia and also three stage wins in the Critérium du Dauphiné stage race, in the French Alps."
  • mididoctors
    Total speculation
  • blazing_saddles
    Surely not?
    Too easy if it is.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    I'm enjoying the fact that they took training data as evidence. Like we're going to see a criminal conviction based on someone riding 6.6 w/kg for 15 minutes at a training camp :smiley:
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • blazing_saddles
    Pross said:

r0bh said:

Whatever it was, I am sure it has nothing at all to do with Mark Padun's performance as that other ASO little number: the Critérium du Dauphiné.
  • rick_chasey
    Yikes
  • rick_chasey

I'm enjoying the fact that they took training data as evidence. Like we're going to see a criminal conviction based on someone riding 6.6 w/kg for 15 minutes at a training camp :smiley:

Yes, measuring output in professional sports to determine doping seems rather stupid.
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    I'm loving the Tour this year, and the Giro back in May. Even though the weather has been pretty cack, it makes me yearn for the pre Covid/Brexit days when you could just load up your car and head off anywhere you wanted in Europe... :'(
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

neonriver said:

2011 EBH won two stages.
    Mea Culpa

Should he manage it, does not Carapaz finishing on the podium count as something?
    (not much I know but.....)
    Isn't a podium worth a lot more than a few combativity awards?

I have absolutely no idea who's won any combativity awards in this Tour, although I would guess at Schelling having won a couple as he was in the break loads earlier on.

I couldn't tell you any combativity award winners in last year's Tour, but I can name the podium.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032
    davep1 said:

it makes me yearn for the pre Covid/Brexit days when you could just load up your car and head off anywhere you wanted in Europe... :'(

What? You can't?
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    pblakeney said:

Remember when Dave Brailsford said Sky would win the Tour in 5 years and everybody laughed? How times change.

He could say it now and we'd all laugh.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago