Retro pro cycling.

2»

Comments

• roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 463

Not really. The nearest is Rouleur but a good 30-40% is not pro-cycling related.

I thought that might be the case
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    Rouleur did force procycling to up their game.

I get the impression most people who want to pay for physical mags will be more interested in the Rouleur stuff.

Tbf, Rouleur has some excellent writing. It’s just patchier as there is usually an angle.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,131
    A shame no doubt - but only bought it occasionally recently, as it tended to become a bit 'samey'.

However, I did find it slightly amusing some of the comments about being transferred over to MBR........talk about insular, blimey that's an understatement.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    I don't thing I've bought any magazine in over five years with the exception of Viz occasionally.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    RichN95. said:

I don't thing I've bought any magazine in over five years with the exception of Viz occasionally.

Same here. After a few months you realise that the articles are pretty much annual refreshes. I found it the case in cycling, fishing and running magazines. They used to be good for catching up on results but that's now all online the articles are the only thing they have.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750
    Pross said:

RichN95. said:

Same here. After a few months you realise that the articles are pretty much annual refreshes. I found it the case in cycling, fishing and running magazines. They used to be good for catching up on results but that's now all online the articles are the only thing they have.
    Yup. Been through a number of magazines on a range of topics and they all end up being repetitive eventually. Stopped altogether quite a few years ago,
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    In defence of Procycling there wasn't that much repetition, especially in the last five years.

The writing, for the big pieces anyway, was always pretty interesting and there was something to be said for having a slightly longer term (month-to-month and end of year review) perspectives.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750
    For perspective, Rouler was the last magazine that I subscribed to and it will probably remain that way. I can see Procycling was different if it was covering races instead of just being articles.
    I think printed media is outdated and will always be behind the curve for sporting coverage. Things have moved on.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah. The problem I find with rouleur is the coverage of the pro-cycling bit is really unpredictable.

"This year we're doing a photo essay on Roubaix" Great.
  • Missed this thread first time round. But thought I'd contribute this tdf preview from procycling.

• rick_chasey

Missed this thread first time round. But thought I'd contribute this tdf preview from procycling.

Remember that one well! In hindsight one of the least insightful previews come the day of the grand depart!
  • Missed this thread first time round. But thought I'd contribute this tdf preview from procycling.

and the answer was the UCI....
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    edited December 2021

Missed this thread first time round. But thought I'd contribute this tdf preview from procycling.

I still have a copy, too!
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • I lost interest in the magazine when they seemed to keep the Armstrong myth going a bit longer than was comfortable.

I did use to scrutinise the early editions for images of Pascal Richard who was my favourite 90's rider.