TDF 2021 - Rest day 1 - *SPOILERS *

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,253
    I'd be happier with more sunshine and views, but yesterday the helicopter got some pretty dramatic shots anyway.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,860
    amrushton said:

Exactly. We’re not even half way yet. The GC race isn’t over.

It is for the win. It was barely alive after the TT. It would have to be a monumental collapse or a crash for anything to change.
    Seen it happen enough times tho. Yates obviously but one hot day and a lack of fuel or some crash and it's over. Until he gets over the finish line it's not a done deal.
    Yates put 30 secs or a minute into his rivals over and over and looked increasing hollow and carved out ... His eyes 👀 recided into his skull 💀.. pog gained 30 secs the other day as a afterthought . I can't see this collapse. A hot day perhaps isolated with out enough drinks and feeds
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,926

I don’t understand anyone saying things are boring even if it is - the only way it’s over is if we’re watching the arrival of a rider who would then go down in history as one of the best new talents the sport has ever seen. As a cycling fan isn’t that something to be celebrated, something fabulous to just sit back and watch?

In fairness I have been dealing with some nasty stuff this week and it has coincided with what the forum reckons were the best days, so I do not have a complete picture.

First 5 days were a snooze if you're not a cav fan.

Sprint uphill, one dominates the rest, repeat day two but different rider, sprint stage, GC destroying TT, sprint stage.

Crashes were just sad.
    Clearly you have forgotten the Mur de Bretagne with MvdP attacking first time up to get the needed bonus seconds and then attacking again the second time to take yellow, in memory of his grandad. that was pretty special, and had zilch to do with Cav.

Then MvdP riding an incredible TT to hang onto yellow by a handful of seconds.

A breakaway the next day featuring the yellow and green jerseys.

Seriously Rick, whether you include Cav or not, it's been a bloody good first week, including those first five 'snooze' days.
  • When you think of all the things that can happen from KM 0 to the Champs Elysees....the level of concentration perseverance motivation etc is incredible for all. Then add the pressure of expectation for the GC contenders...and that's minute by minute on the road. And then you are the defending champion at 22. I've lost my train of thought 😂 but it's bloody amazing
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,906

amrushton said:

It is for the win. It was barely alive after the TT. It would have to be a monumental collapse or a crash for anything to change.
    Seen it happen enough times tho. Yates obviously but one hot day and a lack of fuel or some crash and it's over. Until he gets over the finish line it's not a done deal.
    Yates put 30 secs or a minute into his rivals over and over and looked increasing hollow and carved out ... His eyes 👀 recided into his skull 💀.. pog gained 30 secs the other day as a afterthought . I can't see this collapse. A hot day perhaps isolated with out enough drinks and feeds
    Indeed, when he put time into people it was 26 seconds, 4 seconds, 2 seconds, 17 seconds, and 41 seconds, which coupled with the days he lost time (such as the time trials) meant he was just 28 seconds ahead of Dumoulin prior to his blow up.

Pogacar took 30 seconds yesterday out of apparent boredom as much as anything else.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,699
    edited July 2021

I don’t understand anyone saying things are boring even if it is - the only way it’s over is if we’re watching the arrival of a rider who would then go down in history as one of the best new talents the sport has ever seen. As a cycling fan isn’t that something to be celebrated, something fabulous to just sit back and watch?

In fairness I have been dealing with some nasty stuff this week and it has coincided with what the forum reckons were the best days, so I do not have a complete picture.

Sprint uphill, one dominates the rest, repeat day two but different rider, sprint stage, GC destroying TT, sprint stage.

Crashes were just sad.
    Clearly you have forgotten the Mur de Bretagne with MvdP attacking first time up to get the needed bonus seconds and then attacking again the second time to take yellow, in memory of his grandad. that was pretty special, and had zilch to do with Cav.

Seriously Rick, whether you include Cav or not, it's been a bloody good first week, including those first five 'snooze' days.
    In fairness, I missed that entirely as did all the ITV4 viewers on an ad break and I only noticed it after the finish when he took yellow.

The sentimentality stuff doesn't work for me unfortunately. His dad also took yellow (but they screwed up the timings so he missed the podium), and I saw an interview with him on the day - gave you a different vibe to the whole thing.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,775

Roglic crashing out was kinda predictable ... That pre race prep stratergy had nervousness written all over it. Cav being this good is just incredible as he would say ... Sonny colbrelli could really challenge for that jersey if he keeps going in the hills... Same for KOM competition which is going to be the best for years .....

GC ....well what can you say ? Still a lot of road left . Plenty of talk about how mega pog is . Podium battle may get absurd with long range attacks by people 10 mins down keep coming ...why not ?

A lot of "pog may crash " energy floating around ... Bit weird thinking about it.

Ok big factors in first week being so good was WvA and MvdP along with JA.. WvA made that escape happen and MvdP made it stick . They animated the first week .

Geraint even more so.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Pogacar himself said he prefers the cold and wet weather and the heat might cause him problems. If there's a couple of hot days in the Pyrenees it could be interesting.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • rick_chasey
    I am also missing the carnival vibe with things like the avondetappen still in Ned and the ITV lads still in the UK, as well as the people on the call.

The tour is as much about that for me as it is the racing.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,621

I am also missing the carnival vibe with things like the avondetappen still in Ned and the ITV lads still in the UK, as well as the people on the call.

I think you're just missing WvA action.
  • rick_chasey
    edited July 2021

Pogacar himself said he prefers the cold and wet weather and the heat might cause him problems. If there's a couple of hot days in the Pyrenees it could be interesting.

I don't mean this in a doping way, I don't care about that so much, but he reminds me of Lance a lot.

Lance is the last rider I think who could beat his rivals mentally long before the race was over.

I feel Pog did that in the TT and then again in the first mountain stage. Even if he has a weak day I don't think it matters, he's got them all beat.

That ability just to give everyone a big smack on GC early on.

I always felt with Froome it was much more calculated than that and the margins much smaller.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,327
    I've got to say, I've thoroughly enjoyed the first week, and I get what you mean about Avondetap (I assume that's pretty much the DK Aftentour equivalent). Also, my commentary is coming from Chris Anker and Rolf Sørensen, who are actually in France I believe. There's certainly a "being there" thing of being able to watch live and then recap on the day in the evening.

There's been plenty to follow from a Viking perspective as well - Vingegaard, Asgreen, Bjerg and Mørkøv have all been excellent, and with 11 riders there's a lot of chat and high hopes of a Danish stage win. Mads P provides excellent value bombing other rider's interviews to take the piss.

Aside from that, Cav is an incredible story, MvdP animated the race, Friday's insane breakaway (cmon, we had the lead trio from Flanders racing each other!) and plenty of high drama (not all of it fortunate). Not to mention that the last two days were in awful weather and became insanely hard.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812

Me too, although I am not sure why you are missing it, as unlike my other compulsory Tour show, "Vive le Velo" which has kicked into touch, De Avondetappe is live every evening.

The reason I can't watch is that I finally gave up on the big dish set up.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey

Me too, although I am not sure why you are missing it, as unlike my other compulsory Tour show, "Vive le Velo" which has kicked into touch, De Avondetappe is live every evening.

I meant more the vibe isn't the same when they're not in France.

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812

I meant more the vibe isn't the same when they're not in France.

Oh yeah definitely.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560

Crashes were just sad.

In fairness, I missed that entirely as did all the ITV4 viewers on an ad break and I only noticed it after the finish when he took yellow.

The sentimentality stuff doesn't work for me unfortunately. His dad also took yellow (but they screwed up the timings so he missed the podium), and I saw an interview with him on the day - gave you a different vibe to the whole thing.
    Adri Van der Poel was only Poulidor's son in law though. So there is something much more special for Poulidor's grandson to have worn the jersey that he never did.

What different vibe in the interview you on about? On the day MvdP won yello?
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565
    The thing with a Lance is that he was very obviously soooo Alpha and conspicuous in his domination of others (not just on the bike). Pog seems to just need to turn up.

I’m just praying he’s clean as well. I’ve seen this too many times where it’s turned out to not be the case.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,202
    edited July 2021
    https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x82h270

Rest day interview with Pogacar.
  • mididoctors
    edited July 2021
    pblakeney said:

Roglic crashing out was kinda predictable ... That pre race prep stratergy had nervousness written all over it. Cav being this good is just incredible as he would say ... Sonny colbrelli could really challenge for that jersey if he keeps going in the hills... Same for KOM competition which is going to be the best for years .....

GC ....well what can you say ? Still a lot of road left . Plenty of talk about how mega pog is . Podium battle may get absurd with long range attacks by people 10 mins down keep coming ...why not ?

A lot of "pog may crash " energy floating around ... Bit weird thinking about it.

Ok big factors in first week being so good was WvA and MvdP along with JA.. WvA made that escape happen and MvdP made it stick . They animated the first week .

Geraint even more so.
    I am on record for saying as much in the pre tour thread ... Half joking / not joking at the time
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,202
    Pog had two tests before yesterdays stage and one after. When asked the question about his performances.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,775
    edited July 2021

pblakeney said:

Geraint even more so.
    I am on record for saying as much in the pre tour thread ... Half joking / not joking at the time
    My main reason for not picking him for the PTP.
    Pogacar was too obvious. But then you don't win by picking second place. 🤬
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    edited July 2021
    gweeds said:

I’m just praying he’s clean as well. I’ve seen this too many times where it’s turned out to not be the case.

No point worrying about that during the event. The feelings you get when you watch the ride can't be changed, only the feelings about it afterwards.

I still remember how slack jawed I was at rides in the '00s and they really were imprinted on me. That memory doesn't just disappear with a positive test.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,154

I always felt with Froome it was much more calculated than that and the margins much smaller.

Although Froome won the first mountain stage on three of his four wins (and on Wiggins's as well). They included 2016 when he one attacking on the downhill after the 'experts' said he was a bad descender and would be vulnerable.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    edited July 2021
    RichN95. said:

Although Froome won the first mountain stage on three of his four wins (and on Wiggins's as well). They included 2016 when he one attacking on the downhill after the 'experts' said he was a bad descender and would be vulnerable.
    He did. You know exactly what I mean though. When I saw that opening stage TT Lance did in 2005 when he caught Ulrich, you knew already the Tour was won.

I haven't really felt like that so early on until I saw the Pog TT.
  • mididoctors
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Geraint even more so.
    My main reason for not picking him for the PTP.
    Pogacar was too obvious. But then you don't win by picking second place. 🤬
    I always pick a mad outsider ...
  • mididoctors

RichN95. said:

He did. You know exactly what I mean though. When I saw that opening stage TT Lance did in 2005 when he caught Ulrich, you knew already the Tour was won.

I haven't really felt like that so early on until I saw the Pog TT.
    Writing was on the wall for sure .
  • mididoctors
    Uran is looking relaxed and healthy
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005

Also, my commentary is coming from Chris Anker and Rolf Sørensen, who are actually in France I believe.

Wait - Chris Anker and Sørensen are two different people ?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,154

RichN95. said:

I thought 2016 was a similar statement after the discussion of his alleged descending.
    But he didn't have six consecutive wins like Armstrong.

With Pogacar it felt it's not just this Tour that's won but those for the forseeable future too.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,550
    RichN95. said:

RichN95. said:

I thought 2016 was a similar statement after the discussion of his alleged descending.
    But he didn't have six consecutive wins like Armstrong.

With Pogacar it felt it's not just this Tour that's won but those for the forseeable future too.
    But Remco!