TDF 2021: Stage 7, Vierzon > Le Creusot 249.1 km **Spoilers**

Comments

• gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,471

Don't think Pogacar will get that lucky twice.

As long as Carapaz is the main challenger he's got movistar to help.

He'll win tomorrow by a chunk and everyone will forget today's teensy snaffoo.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,940
    Well that was a bit of a bike race
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,714
    Roglic loses a bundle, about 4 minutes??
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,682
    Latest GC

1   MATHIEU VAN DER POEL -
    2   WOUT VAN AERT + 00h 00' 30''
    3   KASPER ASGREEN + 00h 01' 49''
    4   MATEJ MOHORIC + 00h 03' 01''
    5   TADEJ POGACAR + 00h 03' 43''
    6   VINCENZO NIBALI + 00h 04' 12''
    7   JULIAN ALAPHILIPPE + 00h 04' 23''
    8   ALEXEY LUTSENKO + 00h 04' 56''
    9   PIERRE LATOUR + 00h 05' 03''
    10   RIGOBERTO URAN + 00h 05' 04''

• Pross

Wow, what a waste of effort for Carapaz, caught on the line!

At least he had a crack. It showed that Pogacar is vulnerable and that was on the shorter, steeper climbs that I would have thought favour Pog.
  • TheBigBean
    Presumably WvA will take yellow tomorrow. If he can drop the other van.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,858
    Game over for Roglic.
    His team is kaput and he looks totally deflated.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,940
    Pross said:

Does Movistar have a big market in Slovenia? That's twice they've helped out the Slovenian favourites when they were under pressure

Beef with carapaz ?.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,163
    I think Movistar's tactics must be being decided by Netflix
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    gsk82 said:

Don't think Pogacar will get that lucky twice.

As long as Carapaz is the main challenger he's got movistar to help.

He'll win tomorrow by a chunk and everyone will forget today's teensy snaffoo.
    I'm not convinced Movistar can do that on a big MTF though. Geraint should have taken a tumble and wiped them out today.
  • blazing_saddles

Pross said:

Does Movistar have a big market in Slovenia? That's twice they've helped out the Slovenian favourites when they were under pressure

Beef with carapaz ?.
    Could well be, if Movistar didn't have such a stellar record in dumb tactics.

Pogacar making silly faces behind Mohoric as he gets an early Spanish Christmas present.

• Strong meme potential
  • Pross
    Yet again a hilly stage creates more action than a big mountain stage.
  • neonriver
    neonriver Posts: 228

Pross said:

Beef with carapaz ?.
    Could well be, if Movistar didn't have such a stellar record in dumb tactics.

Pogacar making silly faces behind Mohoric as he gets an early Spanish Christmas present.
    It's definitely a problem with Carapaz, upset with him leaving they weren't even signing riders with the same agent as him until recently
  • bianchi_dave
    bianchi_dave Posts: 847
    Seeing that again, it was a real shit sandwich for Carapaz
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • bianchi_dave
    bianchi_dave Posts: 847
    Pross said:

Yet again a hilly stage creates more action than a big mountain stage.

Seems to have happened a lot in recent years, they're like one dayers. It would have been even better if JA had sneaked into that break!
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • TheBigBean
    edited July 2021
    It's a bike race. Movistar don't have to stand by and applaud while another rider goes up the road.

The only logical reason for Ineos, Movistar and EF - Education to not chase the breakaway was that they didn't consider them to be a threat. As soon as someone who they did consider to be a threat attacks, they chased.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,134
    Movistar need to get over Carapaz leaving; holding a grudge this long is a bit 'small time'....
    How about spending more time trying to win races?
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • blazing_saddles
    edited July 2021

It's a bike race. Movistar don't have to stand by and applaud while another rider goes up the road.

The only logical reason for Ineos, Movistar and EF - Education to not chase the breakaway was that they didn't consider them to be a threat. As soon as someone who they did consider to be a threat, attacks, they chased.

Yet on the Breakaway, Hammond and Smith are also bemused and think Movistar are morons.
    Bare in mind that they were also involved in putting pressure on the UAE team in the first place.

"Billy" : Ineos's nickname for Carapaz. B)
  • blazing_saddles
    edited July 2021
    FWIW, it looks like Jonas Vingegaard is now the Jumbo team leader.
    Kruijswijk stayed up front with him, which is very telling.

Unless they think WVA can go for GC......
  • Pross

The only logical reason for Ineos, Movistar and EF - Education to not chase the breakaway was that they didn't consider them to be a threat. As soon as someone who they did consider to be a threat attacks, they chased.

If they're doing it for their own benefit then it's fine but they did the same at the Vuelta - it's negative riding against a former employee. Why not be more positive and try to get someone to go with him and help capitalise on Pogacar having no team instead?
  • Pross
    Roglic is now Jumbo's third best GC rider (4th if you count WVA).
  • TheBigBean
    Pross said:

If they're doing it for their own benefit then it's fine but they did the same at the Vuelta - it's negative riding against a former employee. Why not be more positive and try to get someone to go with him and help capitalise on Pogacar having no team instead?
    I imagine they are happy to hurt Pogacar if they can, but the primary objective will be to get close to the podium. Mas is 14s behind Carapaz and Lopez is 3.5 mins behind. I really don't understand why it would be sensible to give Carapaz some time.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,317
    WvA didn't look top rank GC in Tirreno, but he only lost 45 seconds to Pog on the climby day. Think he's got a chance of yellow from tomorrow until Wednesday, but can't see him staying with the little guys from then on.
  • TheBigBean
    edited July 2021

WvA didn't look top rank GC in Tirreno, but he only lost 45 seconds to Pog on the climby day. Think he's got a chance of yellow from tomorrow until Wednesday, but can't see him staying with the little guys from then on.

He needs to drop MvDP first, but yes it is the most likely outcome.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    I love a grudge, especially when served cold.

And remember, they didn't do it for our enjoyment, but so they could simply savour the thought of the spoiling the day for Ineos.

And on another matter, I had thought about not picking Roglic for PTP GC as I am getting the feeling he is a bit of a faller. But could not think of what the JV Plan B might be. Still not quite sure.
    Half man, Half bike
  • Pross

Asgreen says Cav helped him get in the break and helped him all day with bottles and gels. Class act.

It was noticeable just before he got dropped he rode up to Asgreen to hand him a bottle, took his empty and then dropped out the back (he then gave the empty back to the car and got himself a fresh one).
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,163
    Well today shows that Pogacar can be got at

Twitter: @RichN95