wednesday gonna get out of this void

'ning

ride, cafe stops, basking
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
«13

Comments

  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Morning, another lovely start to the day not a cloud in the sky at the moment, dog walked, might just catch a few rays today
    Have a good day
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,004
    Rest day so chilled walk with the hounds and as the wife is WFW grabbed the kitchen for the first part of the day to enjoy the sun.


  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Misty mist rolling round down out the wood this morning suns taking care of that though. feels odd having the burner on in June but it was down to single digits here last night.

    Some vague form of work today some video calls mainly telling me I'm not allowed in said calls now and wanting me to introduce my replacement.
    May take a wander round the wood in a bit seeing how little I can do today. Debate still raging on wall art and stuff, hookers being firmly a no.

    Is it too early for a nap?
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,004
    step83 said:

    Misty mist rolling round down out the wood this morning suns taking care of that though. feels odd having the burner on in June but it was down to single digits here last night.

    Some vague form of work today some video calls mainly telling me I'm not allowed in said calls now and wanting me to introduce my replacement.
    May take a wander round the wood in a bit seeing how little I can do today. Debate still raging on wall art and stuff, hookers being firmly a no.

    Is it too early for a nap?

    Why no to hookers?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,575
    edited June 2021
    Morning folks,
    wfh with added cba. But it's Wednesday which is pubday so it's not all bad. Step, you could paper your room with posters of Wimbledon pub signs. I've got a few hundred of them.

    You could even put them the right way up.

    TLW, what's that bright light at the top of your picture?
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,162
    Morning, another heavy week in HDland, Sundays exertion, my birthday on Monday and son turned 18 today.

    Pretty tired and more drinks tonight as it's the traditional first (legal) pint out later.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,845

    Morning folks,
    wfh with added cba. But it's Wednesday which is pubday so it's not all bad. Step, you could paper your room with posters of Wimbledon pub signs. I've got a few hundred of them.

    You could even put them the right way up.

    TLW, what's that bright light at the top of your picture?

    PIR light innit.

    Bit misty, drizzly dull here today.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,004


    TLW, what's that bright light at the top of your picture?

    It’s a fleeting thing
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,162
    A bit of a write up.

    I'm not sure I've mentioned it on here but on Sunday 20th of June I completed a 70.3 tri at Outlaw Nottingham.

    In reality I've not trained hard enough and having to isolate with covid for 10 days a few weeks ago didn't help.

    Times:
    Swim - 48.43
    T1 - 10.06
    Cycle - 3.02.40
    T2 - 9.22
    Run - 2.51.27

    I was happy with the swim time as I'd estimated 50 minutes however the combination of my tri suit and wet suit did make breathing difficult as it's all tight so I didn't do as well as I have done in practice at a local lake.

    The total transition length was 800 meters due to social distancing and I wasn't out to win so T1 & T2 times were fairly slow, my main thought was being comfortable for the next part.

    Cycling is my strong point and I'm more than happy how that went. For the most part I was averaging 30kph but that dropped slightly towards the end. Comfier shorts or a new saddle are needed when wearing a tri suit.

    Hit T2 with a smile on my face as I was happy with how it was going, and then set off on the run... And it went t1ts up.

    From the word go I just knew it was going to be painful, I could just about manage to run a few hundred meters before having to walk for 20 or so, my legs were like jelly and my HR was too high. It obviously showed my weakness however in a normal run on its own I can do a half marathon is about 2.10.

    Now to start training for the Manchester Marathon in October.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,004

    A bit of a write up.

    I'm not sure I've mentioned it on here but on Sunday 20th of June I completed a 70.3 tri at Outlaw Nottingham.

    In reality I've not trained hard enough and having to isolate with covid for 10 days a few weeks ago didn't help.

    Times:
    Swim - 48.43
    T1 - 10.06
    Cycle - 3.02.40
    T2 - 9.22
    Run - 2.51.27

    I was happy with the swim time as I'd estimated 50 minutes however the combination of my tri suit and wet suit did make breathing difficult as it's all tight so I didn't do as well as I have done in practice at a local lake.

    The total transition length was 800 meters due to social distancing and I wasn't out to win so T1 & T2 times were fairly slow, my main thought was being comfortable for the next part.

    Cycling is my strong point and I'm more than happy how that went. For the most part I was averaging 30kph but that dropped slightly towards the end. Comfier shorts or a new saddle are needed when wearing a tri suit.

    Hit T2 with a smile on my face as I was happy with how it was going, and then set off on the run... And it went t1ts up.

    From the word go I just knew it was going to be painful, I could just about manage to run a few hundred meters before having to walk for 20 or so, my legs were like jelly and my HR was too high. It obviously showed my weakness however in a normal run on its own I can do a half marathon is about 2.10.

    Now to start training for the Manchester Marathon in October.

    Awesome, well done and great write up.

    Keep looking at them and did have a swimming coach for a couple of weeks back in Feb 20 and then lockdown happened.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,162
    We had a session with a coach and did the video analysis which mainly highlighted I kicked my legs far too much and thats why I was breathing so hard as larger muscles were using all the oxygen.
    Whilst out in the lake and with the added buoyancy of a wet suit I hardly kicked the whole way around.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,575

    A bit of a write up.

    I'm not sure I've mentioned it on here but on Sunday 20th of June I completed a 70.3 tri at Outlaw Nottingham.
    ...
    Now to start training for the Manchester Marathon in October.

    All of this just confirms your insanity, you've got a long way to go to match TLW levels of insanity/boozing but these are not targets you sholud aim for.
    But bloody good effort all the same, well done. Oh, and happy birthday for Monday, bet you felt old after Sunday.
    Hope the 18 year old is buying you a pint as is traditional.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,525

    A bit of a write up.

    I'm not sure I've mentioned it on here but on Sunday 20th of June I completed a 70.3 tri at Outlaw Nottingham.
    ...
    Now to start training for the Manchester Marathon in October.

    All of this just confirms your insanity, you've got a long way to go to match TLW levels of insanity/boozing but these are not targets you sholud aim for.
    But bloody good effort all the same, well done. Oh, and happy birthday for Monday, bet you felt old after Sunday.
    Hope the 18 year old is buying you a pint as is traditional.
    Yep, I’d prefer to slowly kill myself with booze than tri/marathon type things.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,162
    Thank you and yes, it must be old age that's making my brain do silly things. I didn't feel old the day after, it sort of hit me on Tuesday and I didn't want to get up this morning.
    If he is buying I'll no doubt be subbing him the cash.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 59,949
    Good going HD, not sure it's something I could ever do even if I wanted to.

    Drove into the office early-ish today to replenish supplies of work shirts etc and go to a few meetings. Still got caught in the bottleneck near the Oval. Just looking through the half-ar$ed effort the sellers have made in filling in the fixtures and fitting and property info forms so they'll be getting lots of questions as punishment.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,575


    If he is buying I'll no doubt be subbing him the cash.

    This is also traditional :D
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    tlw1 said:

    step83 said:

    Misty mist rolling round down out the wood this morning suns taking care of that though. feels odd having the burner on in June but it was down to single digits here last night.

    Some vague form of work today some video calls mainly telling me I'm not allowed in said calls now and wanting me to introduce my replacement.
    May take a wander round the wood in a bit seeing how little I can do today. Debate still raging on wall art and stuff, hookers being firmly a no.

    Is it too early for a nap?

    Why no to hookers?
    Something to do with feeding them or some nonsense plus wall mounting them how do you go about that?
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,004

    A bit of a write up.

    I'm not sure I've mentioned it on here but on Sunday 20th of June I completed a 70.3 tri at Outlaw Nottingham.
    ...
    Now to start training for the Manchester Marathon in October.

    All of this just confirms your insanity, you've got a long way to go to match TLW levels of insanity/boozing but these are not targets you sholud aim for.
    But bloody good effort all the same, well done. Oh, and happy birthday for Monday, bet you felt old after Sunday.
    Hope the 18 year old is buying you a pint as is traditional.
    My long runs started with a marathon, just saying 😂
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,004
    seanoconn said:

    A bit of a write up.

    I'm not sure I've mentioned it on here but on Sunday 20th of June I completed a 70.3 tri at Outlaw Nottingham.
    ...
    Now to start training for the Manchester Marathon in October.

    All of this just confirms your insanity, you've got a long way to go to match TLW levels of insanity/boozing but these are not targets you sholud aim for.
    But bloody good effort all the same, well done. Oh, and happy birthday for Monday, bet you felt old after Sunday.
    Hope the 18 year old is buying you a pint as is traditional.
    Yep, I’d prefer to slowly kill myself with booze than tri/marathon type things.
    I like to mix and match, remember you need to decide the rough age you would like to die, then get the lifestyle to achieve that
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    ciao

    been out and about sorting stuff but back now.

    how is everyone?
    .
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,575
    MattFalle said:


    how is everyone?

    Absolutely phucking livid. Was supposed to be collecting the lad from uni on Monday but he's just called to say he has to isolate. They had a couple of mates over to watch the footie last night, a couple of girls turned up with the mates. Turns out one of them had been for a PCR test as she'd had symptoms but didn't bother to tell anyone. Test has now come back positive and she's told them. So now at least 8 people in 2 different houses are having to isolate. To add to the complications they have to move out by Wednesday as their term is up. I told them to ask the landlord if they could have an xtra couple of days in light of the situation. If not, I'll have to go and get him and then I have to isolate. All because some stupid bint couldn't wait for a test result.

  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    and this is why people are fuckingidiots and this thing will drag on and on and on.
    .
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,004
    MattFalle said:

    and this is why people are fuckingidiots and this thing will drag on and on and on.

    Nails it

    FFS what a silly cow
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217

    MattFalle said:


    how is everyone?

    Absolutely phucking livid. Was supposed to be collecting the lad from uni on Monday but he's just called to say he has to isolate. They had a couple of mates over to watch the footie last night, a couple of girls turned up with the mates. Turns out one of them had been for a PCR test as she'd had symptoms but didn't bother to tell anyone. Test has now come back positive and she's told them. So now at least 8 people in 2 different houses are having to isolate. To add to the complications they have to move out by Wednesday as their term is up. I told them to ask the landlord if they could have an xtra couple of days in light of the situation. If not, I'll have to go and get him and then I have to isolate. All because some stupid bint couldn't wait for a test result.

    Hope the sexy time was worth it.

    I suppose you could post him a tent and come back for him in a few days?
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    thistle_ said:

    MattFalle said:


    how is everyone?

    Absolutely phucking livid. Was supposed to be collecting the lad from uni on Monday but he's just called to say he has to isolate. They had a couple of mates over to watch the footie last night, a couple of girls turned up with the mates. Turns out one of them had been for a PCR test as she'd had symptoms but didn't bother to tell anyone. Test has now come back positive and she's told them. So now at least 8 people in 2 different houses are having to isolate. To add to the complications they have to move out by Wednesday as their term is up. I told them to ask the landlord if they could have an xtra couple of days in light of the situation. If not, I'll have to go and get him and then I have to isolate. All because some stupid bint couldn't wait for a test result.

    Hope the sexy time was worth it.

    I suppose you could post him a tent and come back for him in a few days?
    Recent weather a canoe may be more useful
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,575
    thistle_ said:

    MattFalle said:


    how is everyone?

    Absolutely phucking livid. Was supposed to be collecting the lad from uni on Monday but he's just called to say he has to isolate. They had a couple of mates over to watch the footie last night, a couple of girls turned up with the mates. Turns out one of them had been for a PCR test as she'd had symptoms but didn't bother to tell anyone. Test has now come back positive and she's told them. So now at least 8 people in 2 different houses are having to isolate. To add to the complications they have to move out by Wednesday as their term is up. I told them to ask the landlord if they could have an xtra couple of days in light of the situation. If not, I'll have to go and get him and then I have to isolate. All because some stupid bint couldn't wait for a test result.

    Hope the sexy time was worth it.

    I suppose you could post him a tent and come back for him in a few days?
    I don't think he even got any of that, if he had he wouldn't have been so annoyed. Obviously judging by my own standards here.
    Good news is their landlord has gone with the shithappens philosophy and is not bothered about an extra couple of days.
    Looking in the Covd thread somebody said about having to isolate and a response saying turn test and trace off and carry on as normal. Exactly the kind of response that causes this amongst those trying to be sensible.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    SAT IN MY BOX ROOM SINCE 8 LOOKING AT THE SUN OUTSIDE, EVEN HAD TO GET LUNCH DELIVERED, JUST DOWNING A CAN OF LAGER BEFORE MY LAST MEETING from 5-6, OR I'M A GONNA KILL ME SOMEONE.

    Some really interesting stuff we are doing in the energy transition, de-carbonisation and agri-science/tech industries and our business model has been changing, and is now accelerating from a trad Japanese trading company to a giant "socially and environmentally conscious" investment fund (or at least as much as a group that employs 70,000 people worldwide can be), but I'm either going to have to outsource/robotify grunt compliance work, or get a super junior minion. My latest hire was hired as our junior, and he is only 27, but he's really good, so good that when I was at lunch with PWC last week, my main contact said (only half jokingly) that he would be approaching him with an offer (after just a couple of calls they've been on together).

    So much interesting work, but I am sooooo lazy, I want someone else to refine my high level thoughts into detailed, cross referenced analysis, then for me to present it and take the credit? Any introverted tax workaholics who are satisfied with a Magnum Classic on a hot day, the occasional chicken katsu, and a perfunctory "nice work" and a friendly tousling of the hair from time to time?
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Is experience seen as a disadvantage in any other jobs?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 59,949
    hopkinb said:

    SAT IN MY BOX ROOM SINCE 8 LOOKING AT THE SUN OUTSIDE, EVEN HAD TO GET LUNCH DELIVERED, JUST DOWNING A CAN OF LAGER BEFORE MY LAST MEETING from 5-6, OR I'M A GONNA KILL ME SOMEONE.

    Some really interesting stuff we are doing in the energy transition, de-carbonisation and agri-science/tech industries and our business model has been changing, and is now accelerating from a trad Japanese trading company to a giant "socially and environmentally conscious" investment fund (or at least as much as a group that employs 70,000 people worldwide can be), but I'm either going to have to outsource/robotify grunt compliance work, or get a super junior minion. My latest hire was hired as our junior, and he is only 27, but he's really good, so good that when I was at lunch with PWC last week, my main contact said (only half jokingly) that he would be approaching him with an offer (after just a couple of calls they've been on together).

    So much interesting work, but I am sooooo lazy, I want someone else to refine my high level thoughts into detailed, cross referenced analysis, then for me to present it and take the credit? Any introverted tax workaholics who are satisfied with a Magnum Classic on a hot day, the occasional chicken katsu, and a perfunctory "nice work" and a friendly tousling of the hair from time to time?

    No, you can't have any of my minions...

    Surely it'd be better to be on the vodka or gin then you can sip the stuff from a water glass while you're on the call without getting rumbled?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    johngti said:

    Is experience seen as a disadvantage in any other jobs?

    For context, here there seems to be a sweet spot in terms of years on the job. 3-7 years, ideal. Invited to take part in working groups, fast track to leadership, voice listened to. 8-15 years - on SLT, lots of interesting responsibilities, well-respected. Me - joined the school with 24 years under my belt. Absolutely sidelined in every respect. Now on 30 years teaching, it’s like everyone’s just waiting for me to fade away. Whythefuckdoibother