Knee Discomfort

2»

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,604
    Front of knee pain can either be overly tight itb, and or sitting too far forward or with the saddle too low.

Can also happen if the cleats are too tight and don’t allow for much float.

Do your knees come out when you cycle?
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    sniper68 said:

I started with knee niggles about 18 months ago.I finally made an appointment to see my GP who sent me for X-rays.Osteoarthritis in both knees.Been to see a physio and stretches/supplements/creams not having any effect so switching on a consultation.Injections probably next on the agenda.
    You don’t say your age.I’m 52 but ride with a lass who had to have both knees replaced at 45 due to Osteoarthritis.
    My advice is get it looked at ASAP.
    I’ve recently changed from Look Keo to Speedsy Zero and have found a sweet spot for the cleats that makes riding painless again.

Interested in how changing pedal system has made a difference for you. What does Speedplay do that Look doesn't? Never tried Speedplay so know next to nothing about them.

I'm having a complete rest from the bike for a few days, do some stretching / foam rollering every day to see if that makes any difference.

Either way I will still go & see a physio though.
  • ibr17xvii

Front of knee pain can either be overly tight itb, and or sitting too far forward or with the saddle too low.

No they don't. They are pretty straight.

As above I have considered cleat float / bike position & although I'm no expert by any means I'm reasonably happy & have had pretty much the same position for a good while.

That's not to say that it's right of course as I'm no bike fitter but I'm as sure as I can be.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edited June 2021

front of knee can also be miniscus, acl, mcl distortion, pcl, patella disalignment, issue with quads and a hundred other things.

Go and see a HCP.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • mr.b-campag
    mr.b-campag Posts: 387
    edited June 2021
    I ended up in a lot of pain when my saddle slipped down very slightly without me realising it (I have a plastic shim to fit the narrower seat post I use). Had lots of physio treatment (thankfully paid for by my then employer), but in the end realised visually that the seat had slipped down over time. Whilst you've not changed anything, maybe worth just double checking nothing has moved by itself (height, fore/aft etc)? At the very least might be worth getting a physio that understands cycling and maybe bring your bike along.

Also you say you're not very flexible, but I've heard a credible source say that what often causes problems is not lack of flexibility but an imbalance in flexibility. Have you noticed whether you might have tightened/loosened up somewhere on one side (perhaps because of something outside of cycling - maybe you work from home more and tend to sit more on one site/leg etc)?
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    ibr17xvii said:

sniper68 said:

I started with knee niggles about 18 months ago.I finally made an appointment to see my GP who sent me for X-rays.Osteoarthritis in both knees.Been to see a physio and stretches/supplements/creams not having any effect so switching on a consultation.Injections probably next on the agenda.
    You don’t say your age.I’m 52 but ride with a lass who had to have both knees replaced at 45 due to Osteoarthritis.
    I’ve recently changed from Look Keo to Speedsy Zero and have found a sweet spot for the cleats that makes riding painless again.

Interested in how changing pedal system has made a difference for you. What does Speedplay do that Look doesn't? Never tried Speedplay so know next to nothing about them.
    Seedplay have lateral adjustment as well as fore/aft adjustment.They also have fully adjustable float from 0-15°.The lateral adjustment allows you to widen or narrow your 'stance' on the pedals.
    Not cheap and take a bit of getting used to clipping in but best thing I've done B)

• sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    ibr17xvii said:

sniper68 said:

I'm having a complete rest from the bike for a few days, do some stretching / foam rollering every day to see if that makes any difference.

Speedplay have lateral adjustment as well as fore/aft adjustment.It enables you to have a wider/narrower stance on the pedals.They have fully adjustable float from 0-15° too.
    Not cheap and clipping in takes a bit of getting used to but the best thing I've done B)
  • mr.b-campag
    mr.b-campag Posts: 387
    re. sniper's post Time pedals also allow for similar adjustments and are a lot cheaper (some of them at any rate), though some say the cleats are made from cheese :-)
  • ibr17xvii

I ended up in a lot of pain when my saddle slipped down very slightly without me realising it (I have a plastic shim to fit the narrower seat post I use). Had lots of physio treatment (thankfully paid for by my then employer), but in the end realised visually that the seat had slipped down over time. Whilst you've not changed anything, maybe worth just double checking nothing has moved by itself (height, fore/aft etc)? At the very least might be worth getting a physio that understands cycling and maybe bring your bike along.

Also you say you're not very flexible, but I've heard a credible source say that what often causes problems is not lack of flexibility but an imbalance in flexibility. Have you noticed whether you might have tightened/loosened up somewhere on one side (perhaps because of something outside of cycling - maybe you work from home more and tend to sit more on one site/leg etc)?

It's a good shout that actually, I've not checked so I'll get the tape measure out tomorrow. I doubt it but you never know.

As regards imbalance & stuff like that, the honest answer is I don't know. I've been fortunate that my work routine hasn't changed at all throughout the pandemic so I can't put it down to anything like that. I've never had a bike fit as I've never experienced any pain before so I've always been "if it ain't broke don't fix it". That's pretty much the only reason I say I'm happy with my position is cos I've literally had no issues like this up until this point.

I do get this nagging doubt in the back of mind that what if there's something slightly out with my saddle height or whatever but I'm loathe to start tinkering until I've had a diagnosis if I'm honest.
  • ibr17xvii
    Just want to say as well thanks to everyone who has contributed. There have been some suggestions & comments that I would've literally never thought of.

As MF says I know it's difficult / impossible to play internet doctor but I do appreciate everyone trying.

FWIW today is my 2nd full day off the bike & it's still as sore as when I'd finished my last ride on Thursday so not sure anything bike related is making it any better or any worse.
  • ibr17xvii
    sniper68 said:

ibr17xvii said:

sniper68 said:

Speedplay have lateral adjustment as well as fore/aft adjustment.It enables you to have a wider/narrower stance on the pedals.They have fully adjustable float from 0-15° too.
    Not cheap and clipping in takes a bit of getting used to but the best thing I've done B)

Interesting.

I've always fancied a go with Speedplay cos of the double sided clip in & don't get me wrong if it helped I would 100% do it but fortunately for my wallet I'm not at that stage yet.
  • ibr17xvii
    Just to update this - had 4 full days off the bike, only doing stretching & foam rollering which got ride of the pain in the front of the knee when going up & down stairs but still felt I had a niggle in it when moving on it generally.

Went out this morning to do a gentle 20 or so miles, had a bit of pain in the front of my knee on & off almost straightaway. Calmed down after a bit but still have this dull pain as I sit here now like I did before.

Checked the measurements of my setup & the saddle was about 4mm further forward than I'd normally have it for some reason so moved it back & will see how I go with that.

Still not convinced it is bike setup related so think I'm gonna have to go down the physio route. Bike fit is the last option really.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    edited June 2021
    So in your first post you mention you have had this pain/discomfort for 9 months and you are expecting it to resolve itself with 4 days rest. You need to see a physio or similar regardless of whether or not it’s your bike set up.
    If I injured my back weight lifting and I was still in pain 9 months later do you think this would be resolved by 4 days rest and advice on how to lift differently.
  • MattFalle
    I'm afraid to say it but yup, best see a HCP asap.
  • ibr17xvii
    webboo said:

So in your first post you mention you have had this pain/discomfort for 9 months and you are expecting it to resolve itself with 4 days rest. You need to see a physio or similar regardless of whether or not it’s your bike set up.
    If I injured my back weight lifting and I was still in pain 9 months later do you think this would be resolved by 4 days rest and advice on how to lift differently.

Yep absolutely fair point well made. Can’t argue with that.

I’m trying to avoid the inevitable I guess.
  • webboo
    You are not alone I have been in denial about various injuries for 40 years.
  • ibr17xvii
    webboo said:

You are not alone I have been in denial about various injuries for 40 years.

Not gonna lie I'm along the same kind of lines.

I will wait until the last possible minute for any ailment to clear up before I'll do the something about it.
  • webboo
    I was rock climbing on a Saturday and something went pop at the back of my ankle. I drove home 60 miles, next day I went for a walk round town and on the Monday I went to work. Where someone suggested I get it checked out, went to minor injuries and they quickly shoved my leg in a pot.
    I had snapped my Achilles.
  • ibr17xvii
    webboo said:

I was rock climbing on a Saturday and something went pop at the back of my ankle. I drove home 60 miles, next day I went for a walk round town and on the Monday I went to work. Where someone suggested I get it checked out, went to minor injuries and they quickly shoved my leg in a pot.
    I had snapped my Achilles.

Oooofffff that's gotta hurt.

Hardcore.
  • ibr17xvii
    Just to update this as a courtesy for all the helpful replies - I went for a sports massage today & give me a 100 miler on the bike any day, it was brutal. My left leg is now in bits.

Basically I've got tight muscles in the leg (particulalrly the IT band & abductors apparently) so had an hour on the table getting poked & prodded which I have the pleasure of paying for.

Continue doing foam rollering / stretching was the advice & then see how I go over the coming weeks.

It was certainly an experience though.
  • MattFalle
    IT band info sheet - hope its legible

• MattFalle

• ibr17xvii
    MattFalle said:

Cheers mate, I think I can make it out.

Very common “injury” for cyclists she said.