left leg pain

Hi all,

first of all, apologies for the English as it is my second language.

Here's the issue.

I took on cycling a couple of years ago (I am now 50) and bought an 2011 Orbea Onix (Shimano 105 10 speed and Ultegra crankset) .
The shop set it up for me.

I started riding regularly and have always felt medium to strong discomfort/pain to my left leg. I then decided to take the bike to a proper bike fitter in my local town. This made a difference but the discomfort is still there. It can become painful on long rides, in which case i unclip and stretch my leg, which helps a great deal.

I have recently acquired a new bike (Willier Izoard 2012 with campagnolo record 10 speed) and went on to try it last week. NO pain at all!!! Very slight discomfort but barely noticeable. I guess I'll have to try it on longer rides and judge.

What can it be? I am really confused.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    You'd have to assume the problem is positional, and that whatever differences there are in fit and/or position between your old and new bikes is the reason.

Other than that, it's impossible to be any more specific based on the information you've provided. You haven't provided much information on the leg pain, which might help.
  • HI imposter, thanks for the post. I find it difficult to describe the pain, but I'll try.
    It goes from calf to back of the hip and is quite a deep pain, lingering. It covers the outside of the leg mostly, running bottom to top. I wish I could give you more.
  • As I am not a medical or bike fit professional, this is just an opinion. On the basis that this seems to occur just when you ride and is only applicable to the one bike, as Imposter says, it sounds like a bike fit problem related to the Orbea.

From the way you have described the pain, it sounds like it could possibly be nerve related. Leg pain that runs all up the back of the leg to the hip or lower back could possibly indicate an impinged or compressed nerve. As I mention, this is purely an educated guess!

Is the pain, sharp, burning or stabbing at all? This would again give a bit more weight to the idea of nerve damage.