• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157

"But Hampsten didn't win the stage. Erik Breukink did!"
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    edited May 2021
    jam1e said:

He's from Bury, that's midlands at best!

Depends. It's a northern hell for you soft southerners but go North 30 miles to Dunsop Bridge and that's the geographical centre of Britain apparently. The Queen owns it.
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    amrushton said:

jam1e said:

He's from Bury, that's midlands at best!

Depends. It's a northern hell for you soft southerners but go North 30 miles to Dunsop Bridge and that's the geographical centre of Britain apparently. The Queen owns it.
    No, I'm from the actual North - Dunsop Bridge is still only the Upper Northern Midlands even if we're being charitable!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    The state of the M5 every Friday night suggests you all wish you were Cornish anyway...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,584
    Evening all,

I've avoided the result, online and on this ere forum.

Would any kind soul be willing to tell me from what km remaining I should start watching?

I normally start from at least 45 out, but happy to extend if something interesting happened earlier.

Grazie.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Thats probably ideal
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    Purely from memory you won't be too far off with 45 kms out.
    The final climb is the main event but there are events on the build up.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • daniel_b
    Thanks both, will up to 50k to be safe :)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • RichN95.
    Evenepoel won’t start tomorrow after the crash (official)
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    RichN95. said:

He'd have gone home yesterday if his team put his welfare first.

Watching it with hindsight, did the team know Bernal was struggling pretty early on? Moscon up the road and the slow pace on the climb could suggest they did.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    He looked pretty good behind Yates... Until he wasn't.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,860
    gsk82 said:

RichN95. said:

Watching it with hindsight, did the team know Bernal was struggling pretty early on? Moscon up the road and the slow pace on the climb could suggest they did.
    My thinking too . Very conservative ride .
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,860
    Bernal should be attacked early on Friday Saturday .. won't be Caruso thou . ...
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    From the highlights Bernal and the team were on the radio quite a lot early on the climb, maybe early conversation about knocking it back a little?
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    gsk82 said:

RichN95. said:

In retrospect, Ineos not taking time back on Martin when they were on front looks like protection rather than just taking it easy.
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    ddraver said:
    They weren't though were they? The preceding kilometres were, but the final two didn't look that hard.

Maybe he means he could have pushed on a bit more than he did on the final couple of k to limit his losses? Which sounds a bit optimistic given how he looked at the finish but maybe he's bluffing a bit.
  • daniel_b
    edited May 2021
    jam1e said:

ddraver said:
    They weren't though were they? The preceding kilometres were, but the final two didn't look that hard.

Maybe he means he could have pushed on a bit more than he did on the final couple of k to limit his losses? Which sounds a bit optimistic given how he looked at the finish but maybe he's bluffing a bit.
    He's saying 'Weren't extremely hard' as in maybe he had assumed it was hard all the way to the finish, when the last 2km he did not need to save energy for.
    But yes agreed, he looked toasted - early on I thought he was going to really capitulate and shed minutes. Martinez was key I think.

Here we go:

"Bernal confessed he might not have tracked Yates' initial attack had he realised how much the gradient eased inside the final two kilometres.

"I tried to follow him and maybe I made a bit of a mistake. Maybe if I knew the last two kilometres were not so hard, I would have waited until then and I might have had more energy to go faster," he said. "It could have been important but you can't see all the stages, and overall I'm pleased with today."

That was very entertaining, did not expect to see Bernal having issues like that, would be gutting if it is his back :/
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    edited May 2021
    Finding it hard to understand why the leader of the richest team who spends a lot of time on the radio back to the car wouldn’t have known about the gradients.

Happy for Dan as he worked for that win.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    bm5 said:

Finding it hard to understand why the leader of the richest team who spends a lot of time on the radio back to the car wouldn’t have known about the gradients.

Very much this.
    Sound more like a bluff/cover up while he hopes to recover tomorrow.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • daniel_b
    pblakeney said:

bm5 said:

Very much this.
    Sound more like a bluff/cover up while he hopes to recover tomorrow.
    Yes I don't doubt that for a minute, trying not to show weakness - if it's his back that was the cause however, tomorrow he can probably hide, but Friday and Saturday are going to be rough.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,112
    This slow pace that Ineos were setting as they rode defensively, shed most of the top ten on GC.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,906
    bm5 said:

Especially as a big song and dance was made about Moscon being local to the area and therefore very familiar with the climb.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,906
    andyp said:

This slow pace that Ineos were setting as they rode defensively, shed most of the top ten on GC.

Exactly. Vlasov and Carthy in particular looked in a right mess by the end. I don't think they were going slowly whatsoever.