Giro 2021:- Stage 17: Canazei – Sega di Ala 193 km **Spoilers**

Comments

• dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    Carthy has shed loads of time...
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    Almeida might regret sitting on Yates for as long as he did - might have caught Martin if he'd gone earlier (equally might have popped of course).
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,906
    Carthy shipped over 3 minutes. Vlasov gurning with Castrovejo behind him looking like he's been out for a coffee ride.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560

dish_dash said:

Bernal looking so different from his previous rides this Giro... really struggling, hunched over the bars

Limited the loss OK in the end though
    Yeah... just lacking all the swagger he's shown until now...
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Rob mate, I'm not really sure that it's the order of Tour, Vuelta, Giro that's what's important here...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Bernal looked w@nkered staggering into the motorhome.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,860
    Fantastic stage . Caruso is canny . Shame Hugh lost do much time . ... Bernal looked like he got the knock there
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,620
    Ulissi was 4th. Is that his best climbing performance?
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    Biggest loser of the day, just finishing.
    Ciccone loses 8 minutes.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mididoctors
    Dan Martin was class there. Old skool climbing
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    Bernal was looking pasty long before it all kicked off I thought.
  • mididoctors

Ulissi was 4th. Is that his best climbing performance?

Was he?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,620

By the way, ignore anything I previously said about Almeida

Yes, he would be close to 4th now without his babysitting duties.
  • mididoctors
    Almeida is sort of a zubeldia who failed to hide .
  • Martinez digging deep to make the split when Yates and Bernal first went has ended up saving Bernal quite a bit there
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,250

Without that first bad day, he'd be within about a minute of Bernal now.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,616
    Bernal should probably have let Yates go. Suspect the time loss would have been minimal if he'd just tempoed up with DM.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Bernal doesn't sound too upset in the interview.

Said the stage suited Yates better, he's happy as he only lost a couple of metres to Caruso etc., just needs to be careful etc.

When Martinez was shouting and gesticulating to try and motivate him it looked like he was a bit unhappy though...
  • bobmcstuff
    Yates (asked if he is stronger in the sun) "I think that's obvious... Every day it's rained I've had a bad day"

Poor showing from the Northern lad :wink:
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    He's from Bury, that's midlands at best!
  • mididoctors

Better bet than remco that's for sure
  • bobmcstuff
    jam1e said:

He's from Bury, that's midlands at best!

Get out
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,154
    The stage was never in doubt once the lucky omen turned up

Twitter: @RichN95
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    For all Bernal's chirpiness, it's noticeable as Yates rode away that he was a bit twisted on the bike - crabbed over towards the left. Hopefully that's not a sign that he's struggling with his back.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812

But I suppose you could say, that without Bernal's bad day, he wouldn't, so it kind of evens itself out. ;)
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,326
    Excellent stage, it's added some real spice to the race. Really hope Bernal isn't suffering a relapse of the back issue.

The big question for me is why did Caruso lead Bernal? Surely either sit in and follow or attack and put some time in? It's not like they were sharing the work, he was doing the most by far. Looks like a very conservative approach, more concerned with keeping 2nd than gaining time.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,250

But I suppose you could say, that without Bernal's bad day, he wouldn't, so it kind of evens itself out. ;)
    He'd be within about 2 minutes then :)
  • bobmcstuff

Excellent stage, it's added some real spice to the race. Really hope Bernal isn't suffering a relapse of the back issue.

The big question for me is why did Caruso lead Bernal? Surely either sit in and follow or attack and put some time in? It's not like they were sharing the work, he was doing the most by far. Looks like a very conservative approach, more concerned with keeping 2nd than gaining time.

Well Caruso needs to peg Yates back otherwise he isn't going to win anyway. He may not have been able to attack.

But yes 2nd is probably very good for him, no?
  • bobmcstuff

• Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091

"The thing is, the thing is right, Han shot first. They've messed that film up, if you ask me..."