wednesday appears to have highly-abstract underlying principles

Comments

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    thistle_ said:

Yeah! Phucking dog owners! ;)

There's dog owners and dog owners.
    Like there's cyclists, 'cyclists' and cyclists.

WFH, early start, seemed to be working hard but don't seem to have got very far with anything.
    No pedal at lunchtime, thundering and hailing most of the day.
    Sunny now though so walking to gym in a bit to hang out with the laydeez.

Broadband swaps over tomorrow, not sure whether to chance it WFH or WFW.
    Phucking cyclists!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,605
    Reminds me of this...hope its readable

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Stevo_666 said:

Reminds me of this...hope its readable

I suspect you knew the answer to that, I don't think it's my aging eyes 🤓
  • tetley10
    tetley10 Posts: 693
    johngti said:

Morning.

“You look fed up all of the time these days”

“I’m not fed up”

“Well you look like you are “

“Sorry”

“Oh ffs”

Aside: not fed up, lonely. Don’t like living in Dartford, have no real friends, left the club I helped establish because it was too committee oriented, stuck on HoD level at work, probably too much like hard work to talk to me - people literally take a different route when they realise they might have to interact. 52 years old, highly qualified, being overlooked for any kind of promotion/whole school role.

So not really fed up, no.

Sorry. Realise there’s plenty with worse problems than me. This would be the only place I can “vent” like this. Carry on.

I live in Dartford, and ride a bike, could meet up to watch you pedal squares if you fancy it?

• hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    I have been watching the BBC documentary snooker gods. Fantastic programme for those who, if like me, fell in love with the game in the 80's.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    edited May 2021
    elbowloh said:

From who to who?

Vodafone to Now.

The actual broadband connection has been great, but the cs was a bit of a fail from day 1, and they were planning on putting the price up by ££££ next month.
    As long as this lot are no worse I'm happy.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    hopkinb said:

I have been watching the BBC documentary snooker gods. Fantastic programme for those who, if like me, fell in love with the game in the 80's.

I remember my dad waking me to watch the end of the 1985 final when Taylor was catching up.

Had some great characters in those days.

Says it all 😎
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • ballysmate
    I have been drinking Penderyn Celt and listening to sopranos and mezzos, particularly Anna Netrebko.
    Culture innit?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,089
    seanoconn said:

I remember my dad waking me to watch the end of the 1985 final when Taylor was catching up.

I watched the whole final session.

One of the best moments was Cliff Thorburn's yellow in his 147. He had a bad position on his final red and couldn't create the angle on the black to get up the table so he elected to go long on the yellow.

Another fantastic 147 was James Wattana's. It was poetry oh and of course O'Sullivan's 5 mins and 8 second 147.

I'll also never forget Higgins winning the WC.

'Mr Maximum' Willie Thorne missing the blue into the centre to win the UK Championship and lost to Davis.

Joe Johnson winning the Worlds.

White winning the Benson and Hedges masters - on those lovely tables with lighter wood coloured rails and he just played with the cue ball when potting the last colours. Such awesome control. Of course, loosing to Hendry in the WC's will never leave him.
    Snorting Cocaine in the toilet in the interlude of the final session wasn't the best move.

Davis set the standard but Hendry blew everybody out of the water until Ronnie.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
  • ballysmate
    pinno said:

seanoconn said:

One of the best moments was Cliff Thorburn's yellow in his 147. He had a bad position on his final red and couldn't create the angle on the black to get up the table so he elected to go long on the yellow.

Another fantastic 147 was James Wattana's. It was poetry oh and of course O'Sullivan's 5 mins and 8 second 147.

'Mr Maximum' Willie Thorne missing the blue into the centre to win the UK Championship and lost to Davis.

White winning the Benson and Hedges masters - on those lovely tables with lighter wood coloured rails and he just played with the cue ball when potting the last colours. Such awesome control. Of course, loosing to Hendry in the WC's will never leave him.
    Snorting Cocaine in the toilet in the interlude of the final session wasn't the best move.

All matches from the days when it was compulsive viewing.
    Quite boring now, unless you are my in laws. They love it.
  • pinno
  • pinno
    edited May 2021
    Played Higgins on a pool table, 1993. He won 2-1 for a tenner!
    Sad, emaciated, pale.
    I was coming out of chemo and he was travelling trying to make money. Totally surreal.
  • ballysmate
    pinno said:
    Indeed.
    What would he have achieved if he had stayed sober?
  • ballysmate
    pinno said:

Played Higgins on a pool table, 1993. He won 2-1 for a tenner!
    Sad, emaciated, pale.
    I was coming out of chemo and he was travelling trying to make money. Totally surreal.

You coming out of chemo probably looked in better nick than him.
    Mate went to see him in an exhibition game. He was that pissed he fell off the table when reaching for a shot. Still blinding though!
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Yeah, but is it a sport?

;)
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • hopkinb
    edited May 2021

I have been drinking Penderyn Celt and listeinning to sopranos and mezzos, particularly Anna Netrebko.
    Culture innit?

👍

A while ago I posted a video of netrebko and Garanča doing offenbach's Barcarolle. Not sure whether in rehearsal, or not in full dress as a recording. Nevertheless, sparkling. They do some Mozart duets too.

Some lovely older recordings of Bartoli and Fleming doing the duettino sull'aria on YouTube.

Duets are spellbinding, but quartets can be transcendent. Several in Mozart's requiem mass.
  • hopkinb
    seanoconn said:

hopkinb said:

Says it all 😎
    He doesn't look too different now.

That game is so hard to play. I've watched so much that I can talk a decent frame, but I'm probably less than 25% for a black off its spot, cue ball below the blue.
  • ballysmate
    This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u0M4CMq7uI&ab_channel=DeutscheGrammophon-DG

Elīna Garanča's voice has such a rich quality.

Not Netrebko, but I quite like this duet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1ZL5AxmK_A&ab_channel=WarnerClassics

Sabine Devieilhe & Marianne Crebassa
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Simple question - but what sort of person do I go looking for on the web if I want a chunk fo sandstone wall taking down (clean cut) seems too simple for a stone mason.
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • ballysmate
    Travellers?
    Flâneur said:

Simple question - but what sort of person do I go looking for on the web if I want a chunk fo sandstone wall taking down (clean cut) seems too simple for a stone mason.

Travellers? ;)
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    pinno said:

seanoconn said:

Jimmy White driving down to Wimbledon dog track and back to Sheffield again during the interval of one of his finals probably didn’t help his prospects.

Kirk Steven’s in his white suit on those lighter wood tables, looked a million dollars even if he wasn’t very exciting.

Enjoyed the way Willie would stay close in amongst the balls to compile his breaks. Had a bit of a bottle problem when it came to the crunch, should have won much more.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • ballysmate
    seanoconn said:

pinno said:

seanoconn said:

Jimmy White driving down to Wimbledon dog track and back to Sheffield again during the interval of one of his finals probably didn’t help his prospects.

Kirk Steven’s in his white suit on those lighter wood tables, looked a million dollars even if he wasn’t very exciting.

Enjoyed the way Willie would stay close in amongst the balls to compile his breaks. Had a bit of a bottle problem when it came to the crunch, should have won much more.
    Probably did a million dollars in coke IIRC.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    tetley10 said:

johngti said:

Morning.

“I’m not fed up”

“Sorry”

“Oh ffs”

Aside: not fed up, lonely. Don’t like living in Dartford, have no real friends, left the club I helped establish because it was too committee oriented, stuck on HoD level at work, probably too much like hard work to talk to me - people literally take a different route when they realise they might have to interact. 52 years old, highly qualified, being overlooked for any kind of promotion/whole school role.

Sorry. Realise there’s plenty with worse problems than me. This would be the only place I can “vent” like this. Carry on.

I live in Dartford, and ride a bike, could meet up to watch you pedal squares if you fancy it?

You’re one of them clubbies though, aren’t you?
  • hopkinb

This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u0M4CMq7uI&ab_channel=DeutscheGrammophon-DG

Elīna Garanča's voice has such a rich quality.

Not Netrebko, but I quite like this duet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1ZL5AxmK_A&ab_channel=WarnerClassics

Sabine Devieilhe & Marianne Crebassa

Aye, that was it. She has a beautiful voice. They both do.

That's a cracker. They've all got the pop star looks now.
  • ballysmate
    hopkinb said:

seanoconn said:

hopkinb said:

Says it all 😎
    He doesn't look too different now.

That game is so hard to play. I've watched so much that I can talk a decent frame, but I'm probably less than 25% for a black off its spot, cue ball below the blue.

Better than me. I'd have a 25% chance of hitting it, never mind potting it.
  • tetley10
    tetley10 Posts: 693
    johngti said:

tetley10 said:

johngti said:

Morning.

“I’m not fed up”

“Sorry”

“Oh ffs”

You’re one of them clubbies though, aren’t you?
    Nah, poser would be more like it.
  • pinno
    This wound me up: Was listening to Mozart's piano concerto 18 on classic FM on the school run either yesterday or the day before but the reception here for Classic FM is dire.

• hopkinb
    pinno said:

seanoconn said:

O'Sullivan's 5 mins and 8 second 147.

White winning the Benson and Hedges masters - on those lovely tables with lighter wood coloured rails and he just played with the cue ball when potting the last colours.

In turn.

Watched it live. Best snooker ever. Jimmy's in 1992 was also amazing.

Alex or John? Alex won twice.

Worst world champion ever.

Agreed, tables and White in his pomp.

Top 5:

O'Sullivan, Hendry, Davis, Higgins J, White.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    johngti said:

Stevo_666 said:

JGTI, the offer of a pedal is still there if you can get over this way on a week day and I'm not inundated with work. You can laugh at my crappy old Boardman as well. The others have put things much better than I can on the sensible advice.

Going nowhere on the corporate hamster wheel today but 2 big meetings to prep for tomorrow. Quick trip to the tip at lunchtime as Mrs. 666 has been doing more chucking out than I expected and filling up the garage.

Cheers Stevo - see how we get on in one of the holidays 🙂

And thanks everyone. Guess I just needed to put it into words rather than keeping it bottled in. Hence the “carry on” comment. Suppose I am just a bit fed up. Hate when the wife is right; not going to tell her though.
    Here if you need a chat/vent JohnG - drop me a line any time.

Please never feel alone - life is too short to feelshit.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.