Making a mountain out of a molehill

2»

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Not sure tbh but does it matter if did or not? many people don't me for one - both in Div 1 racing days, etape training and hacking around now.

worth dropping him a line though and touching base - he seemed to have quite a background through his club, racing, coaching others so may be on another metric. he seemed pretty good on the numbers front.

Re loose cannon - don't we all come across as loose cannons sometimes? A mixture of losing meaning on the 'net, messages not coning across properly, just giving up, frustration?

I honestly think that if you want to achieve the goals you are stating you do that you should use every resource possible - you never know, it may be a winner, if its not, just mug it off.

Nothing ventured nothing gained, and without venturing tgere ain't no clink of glasses under the flag pole.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,271
    I tend to follow others doing the same sport, preferably in the UK... some are kind enough to share all their training sessions...
    was he not based in Czechia or whatever it is spelled this days?

Unlikely to be a fruitful contact, to be honest...
    left the forum March 2023
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    nah - he wanted to do his attempt in the Czech Republic but was deffo based in England. Deffo.

Tbh, who knows what tree bears fruit until you examine its branches? May be a missed opportunity.

Anyhow, all it is is one email/PM, and if he can't help you he may very very likely know someone who can - after all, he was heavily involved in club racing for years so will probably, much like you, have lots of friendly contacts.

If I were you I'd give it a go because you'd only kick yourself afterwards to find out he could have helped you but you didn't make the first move.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,693
    MattFalle said:

Re loose cannon - don't we all come across as loose cannons sometimes...

Loose Cannon brewery in Abingdon, Oxfordshire. Very good 👍
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,587
    I remember around the time I first joined this forum there was a guy getting flamed for saying he was going to try for the London to Bath record with no experience of anything similar. People were telling him he was wasting the time of the Road Records Association officials and that he should forget all about it as he had no chance of getting close. It was a long old thread and he kept plugging away with the training and eventually gave it a shot. He missed the record but from memory was very close considering the volume of traffic and number of traffic light junctions has increased significantly since the record was set.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,737
    Still remember the kid who turned up to a club run on something that was barely more racey than a shopping bike in some PE kit.

Had not done club runs before but said he was riding around at 20mph quite easily.

The guys scoffed and put him in the intermediate group (with me). He basically strung it and some out as no-one dared be dropped by the guy in the PE kit. Was absolutely savage. The guy was so fast.