tuesday a wild and lonely place, ye ken

Comments

• Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,659
    Ben6899 said:

Morning!

Anyone got experience of WiFi boosters? Our office / spare room is a WiFi dead zone and I'm thinking one of these boosters that plug into the mains might be a solution...

Only thing is, I have no idea which one to buy or what to look (out) for.

Ta!

I hope everyone's doing okay - been a bit absent in here.

Tried those boosters but I found them fairly rubbish. Also think the plug in bits have to be on the same circuit as the source one to work which wasn’t possible here.

I also switched to the Google mesh system. Works great. Others are available.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,605
    Ben6899 said:

Morning!

Anyone got experience of WiFi boosters? Our office / spare room is a WiFi dead zone and I'm thinking one of these boosters that plug into the mains might be a solution...

Only thing is, I have no idea which one to buy or what to look (out) for.

Ta!

I hope everyone's doing okay - been a bit absent in here.

We just asked for a free one from our provider (BT). Seems to help when we have internet stuff on the TV.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    tlw1 said:

seanoconn said:

I’m older than that 😢
    Closer to the right date?

https://youtu.be/gOovt3g5hg4
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    @Ben6899 go Mesh if you can and want the top speed coverage. However if you just want to hardwire your laptop every so often to do work emails the homeplug system is decent. Aging and speed is capped but far cheaper and does the job. Doesn't always look as nice either.

Without going full home network geek, most of it depends what you speed you have, what you are after (around the house), size of house.

Sometimes you are better to just hardline the cat cable to the required place (rare but some circumstances) or buy a better router (check your provider doesn't make this a horrible task)

Whichever solution, you can rarely go "wrong" with the big names like netgear and TP Link.

Poor MF, you are just wanted out the house whilst the gardner you sacked is there.
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • Stevo_666
    Flâneur said:

Stevo,. when are you moving away from Deliveroo and Uber, or not found a place yet.

Seano that is priceless

Still looking - first couple we saw were a bit of a let down. Had our place valued and just trying to tidy/stick a few licks of paint where needed so we're ready for viewings.

The search goes on...
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,082
    Stevo_666 said:

tlw1 said:

seanoconn said:

I’m older than that 😢
    Closer to the right date?

https://youtu.be/gOovt3g5hg4
    😂 closer but still out
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    Flâneur said:

@Ben6899 go Mesh if you can and want the top speed coverage. However if you just want to hardwire your laptop every so often to do work emails the homeplug system is decent. Aging and speed is capped but far cheaper and does the job. Doesn't always look as nice either.

Without going full home network geek, most of it depends what you speed you have, what you are after (around the house), size of house.

Sometimes you are better to just hardline the cat cable to the required place (rare but some circumstances) or buy a better router (check your provider doesn't make this a horrible task)

I ended up running a cable to the router. For some reason lots of work things seem to freeze/stop working when connected to WiFi even though it doesn't appear to have dropped the connection. It's only about 5m in a straight line but was a PITA running the cable through.

BT (possibly other ISPs) will give you mesh things to extend the WiFi into dead zones. Sounds like this is what Stevo's got.

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Flâneur said:

Whichever solution, you can rarely go "wrong" with the big names like netgear and TP Link.

Thank you, appreciated.

We have really quite quick fibre broadband, but because of the layout of the flat (rear is an extension onto the original dwelling), the signal is blocked once you're in the back bedroom and very weak here in the office/storage room/guest room.

If we can stream the odd movie while sat in bed, and do Teams calls in the office without dropouts, we'd be happy. We're not gamers or huge streamers.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Ben6899
    thistle_ said:

Flâneur said:

I ended up running a cable to the router. For some reason lots of work things seem to freeze/stop working when connected to WiFi even though it doesn't appear to have dropped the connection. It's only about 5m in a straight line but was a PITA running the cable through.

BT (possibly other ISPs) will give you mesh things to extend the WiFi into dead zones. Sounds like this is what Stevo's got.

Contacted Virgin this morning. They don't know when their mesh style solutions are back in stock... and they're £5 a month, which is less than my Zwift subscription but still a kick in the nuts and eventually a bit expensive for what you're getting.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Afternoon.

Bit of a funny day. Been busier than I thought I would be. Had the head of science wander over to me in the staffroom. Said "[Deputy head] has asked me to come and share the weekly bulletin we send out as an example of best practice". As it happens, [Deputy head] is in my department and also receives a weekly bulletin from me, has done for years. He's never said a word. Head of science is a bit stuck up, mind, so is probably overstating things. Said I'd have a look but I've no intention of changing anything. Bah.

Delivering a CPD session for the local maths hub soon, that'll be fun. "Why" you ask? Because I have examples of best practice oozing from every orifice, that's why. Flucking head of science flucking telling me what to flucking do...
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    johngti said:

Afternoon.

Bit of a funny day. Been busier than I thought I would be. Had the head of science wander over to me in the staffroom. Said "[Deputy head] has asked me to come and share the weekly bulletin we send out as an example of best practice". As it happens, [Deputy head] is in my department and also receives a weekly bulletin from me, has done for years. He's never said a word. Head of science is a bit stuck up, mind, so is probably overstating things. Said I'd have a look but I've no intention of changing anything. Bah.

Delivering a CPD session for the local maths hub soon, that'll be fun. "Why" you ask? Because I have examples of best practice oozing from every orifice, that's why. Flucking head of science flucking telling me what to flucking do...

My money’s on you John 👍

Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Cheers Seano - it's the whole "he told me..." bull poop. How's about this for an idea. Why don't we all just act professionally and lose the cloak and dagger rubbish that effectively sends a message of "you're cr@p, do it this way". Why do I even bother.
  • Stevo_666
    thistle_ said:

Flâneur said:

Think so - its a black plastic flying saucer shared thing with a small stand that you put near where you need it (i.e. near the telly) and it shines a little blue light when its working that seems to hypnotise one of the hounds.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    seanoconn said:

johngti said:

Afternoon.

My money’s on you John 👍

do you want me to send a MF over yo do him in for you?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • tlw1
    Stevo_666 said:

thistle_ said:

Flâneur said:

Think so - its a black plastic flying saucer shared thing with a small stand that you put near where you need it (i.e. near the telly) and it shines a little blue light when its working that seems to hypnotise one of the hounds.
    BT discs - we use them, got 4 of them & work a treat
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,232
    We've got the deco home mesh thingies, one in the router, one in the kitchen diner which houses the sonos and hive hubs plus one in the garage which MrsHDs server/PC and printers are hard wired into. Laptops just pick up the signal.
    Sloth has his PS4 hard wired into to one upstairs too.
    Stable most of the time but the pc network has an occasional wobble.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Ben, you can also get those boxes that send the connection down your mains. You need 2, one plugged in the mains and connected to the router with an ethernet cable. The other one you plug in the mains in your extension. You can then either connect your laptop via ethernet or get one of those £25 wifi boosters and connect that via ethernet. They work well, my BT tv box is connected to the router that way. It's also how i'm going to connect to the net once i have the home office set up in the back garden.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    @Ben6899 can you just run a phone extension cable and move the router to the middle of the flat? :wink:
  • Ben6899
    Thanks for all the input, chaps. I have gone for one of the plug in boosters for now - let's see what happens.

@thistle_ I don't want cables everywhere, if I can help it!
    Ben

• tlw1
    seanoconn said:

Flâneur said:

Blue bird currently, means lashing it down when i want to run or ride later.

Hound walked, bacon and poached egg scoffed. Time to earn some pennies, hopefully pounds. May put a beer in the fridge for later

Enjoy fending for yourself TLW, let us all know if you manage not to starve.

3 to 1 on that he’s dead in a ditch by the end of the day.
    I’m still standing
  • seanoconn
    Resilient fecker 😒

Hats off. I underestimated your ability to adapt and survive in a hostile wifeless environment 👍
  • tlw1
    seanoconn said:

Resilient fecker 😒

Hats off. I underestimated your ability to adapt and survive in a hostile wifeless environment 👍

😂

I did manage to undercook a potato over 3hrs - that is a skill
  • Charlie_Croker
    Charlie_Croker Posts: 1,727
    thistle_ said:

@Ben6899 can you just run a phone extension cable and move the router to the middle of the flat? :wink:

@Ben6899 Don't do this, even if you didn't mind cables everywhere. If your ISP is using the phone lines to supply your Internet. The BT modem/router should be plugged into the Master socket only.

If you plan to put the Internet over the mains (TP Link, Solwise etc.), you can ONLY do this over the same electrical phase. Not usually a problem in a domestic dwelling, but I have known it, so just be aware. Also the units can be temperamental, work best on a ring-main rather than an extension for example.

If you want to 'mesh' I fitted quite a few of the Nova's and they work well. You can also add an extra unit
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tenda-Nova-Coverage-Parental-Configured-White/dp/B078NJ2QX2 (shop around for the best deal)

Wired Cat5e/Cat6 is always best if it can be done of course (cables are always connected). But if not the above is should help you.

Well at least I've dried out typing this lot :D Curry n Cider... here I come
  • MattFalle
    Ben - we have the square thing beliw in the front room and various of the other thing dotted around the crib - we live in a granite, metal and glass box so signal is tricky to get around but they work alright - 7/10 I'd say.

If ypu're a serious internet I'd look for something better, but if you're just after recreational 'netting then yeah, they're fine.

All tvs are wired straight into the walls.

HTH

• hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Orbi is a mesh system I think. Probably why it works!

We don't have cable tv, or an aerial, all the televisual entertainment is via the Internet. Plus all the other devices, plus work. We suck up quite a lot of bandwidth when we're all home.

Best thing about the mesh is that you can turn the Internet off to individual devices, set schedules etc.
  • MattFalle
    Coolio - I just know them as random boxes that TDV leaves lying around the place ....
  • seanoconn
    I’ve lost the will to live.

Thanks Ben!
  • MattFalle
    edited May 2021
    As a more manly aside, just used my new lawn mower.

Need to sort the lines out but its mega.

i'm going to start writing messages in the grass now.
  • MattFalle
    tbh, it was a pretty non game between two non teams devoid of character and joy.

City were going to win the league after playing Newcastle, the only other game worth watching is Chelsea vs City at the end of the month.

Top four - City, Manure, Leics, Chelsea were set in stone ages ago.

Always happy to see Manure lose though - ABU.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Evening folks,
    A joyful day of wfw, told the retail manager to 'uck off in a subtle way responding to an email he'd copied everyone in on. Too subtle it seems as he persisted. Told him in no uncertain terms, toys came out the pram and all the others told me quietly he had it coming. Yet none of the cnuts said anything on the email to everyone. Have I mentioned that people are rsoles?
    Pleasant ride back after getting wet on the way in, ride across the new bridge over part of the one way system. That's about as exciting as my day got.
    Should improve WiFi in this place, but it's so incredibly dull I can't be arsed to look into it. Should probably read the posts up there.