Dom Cummings, who would have thought it?

2»

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,355

What amused me was his assertion that Boris is lacking in integrity and competence. That's true of ALL politicians, isn't it?

We were happily going off topic.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • What amused me was his assertion that Boris is lacking in integrity and competence. That's true of ALL politicians, isn't it?

That's what people like Johnson want you to think.
    Name ten who everyone can agree aren't lacking in integrity and competence.

• pinno said:

What amused me was his assertion that Boris is lacking in integrity and competence. That's true of ALL politicians, isn't it?

We were happily going off topic.
    We are? How you mean?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,261

You are making an and/or mistake there, and also a mistake in thinking that in order to possess integrity, literally everyone needs to state that they believe in their integrity. So no.

• What amused me was his assertion that Boris is lacking in integrity and competence. That's true of ALL politicians, isn't it?

You are making an and/or mistake there, and also a mistake in thinking that in order to possess integrity, literally everyone needs to state that they believe in their integrity. So no.

OK, fair enough on the second point, you won't get absolutely everyone agreeing about any particular politician, but I can't think of a single one I could say possesses integrity, and as for competence, the pandemic has shown them all flailing around blindly while at the same time trying to pretend that they are on top of things and know what they are doing.

I don't understand what you mean by an and/or mistake. Could you explain, please?
  • kingstongraham

OK, fair enough on the second point, you won't get absolutely everyone agreeing about any particular politician, but I can't think of a single one I could say possesses integrity, and as for competence, the pandemic has shown them all flailing around blindly while at the same time trying to pretend that they are on top of things and know what they are doing.

I don't understand what you mean by an and/or mistake. Could you explain, please?
    Boris is lacking in integrity AND competence. Someone who has integrity but not competence would not match that description, as well as someone who has competence but not integrity. Someone with no integrity but competence can be better, as long as the personal perceived benefit aligns with the country's. Which is possible, but very open to corruption.

Keir Starmer has integrity (and dullness), Jess Phillips, Rory Stewart. I'd say that you need some level of integrity to be a lib dem politician - you aren't in it for personal glory or financial gain.

If you want perfection and no compromises, then you'd definitely be looking at someone who has never held office.

Boris is lacking in integrity AND competence. Someone who has integrity but not competence would not match that description, as well as someone who has competence but not integrity. Someone with no integrity but competence can be better, as long as the personal perceived benefit aligns with the country's. Which is possible, but very open to corruption.

Keir Starmer has integrity (and dullness), Jess Phillips, Rory Stewart. I'd say that you need some level of integrity to be a lib dem politician - you aren't in it for personal glory or financial gain.

If you want perfection and no compromises, then you'd definitely be looking at someone who has never held office.
    Thanks for clarifying that, I see what you mean now; it's possible for someone to have one but not the other, and I'd agree Boris has neither, and I'd agree with that competence without integrity might be better than the other way round, if you can avoid the possibility corruption (which almost certainly you can't). And I absolutely agree with your last point; perhaps the desire to be an MP should automatically disqualify anyone from becoming one?

I don't agree Keith Starmer has integrity, though; to me he comes across as being as ruthless and unprincipled as anyone in Westminster (while being dull, which I guess is some sort of achievement!) The other two you mention I don't know about; I can't even picture them. I don't agree about the Lib Dem part either. I don't think it's possible to become an MP of any party and retain much integrity, and the further up the greasy pole they get the more they shed what remains.

What really exasperates me though about politicians is the "my gang is better than your gang" mentality. Domenic Cummings sticking the knife into Boris has had Keir Starmer and his mob jumping up and down glee at the political capital they'll be able to make form it. When the pandemic started, there was a lot of talk along the line of "we must all pull together… not the time for petty squabbling… we support the government's approach…" and so on. That only lasted a couple of weeks, then it was back to sniping and point scoring.

Incidentally, I see this is my 500th post. It seems to have taken a long time. How have you managed nearly 15,000?!
  • kingstongraham

Incidentally, I see this is my 500th post. It seems to have taken a long time. How have you managed nearly 15,000?!

Always sacrifice quality, cultivate obsessions, and have practically every bike race on in the background while working and post a few times every day about that.

• Incidentally, I see this is my 500th post. It seems to have taken a long time. How have you managed nearly 15,000?!

Always sacrifice quality, cultivate obsessions, and have practically every bike race on in the background while working and post a few times every day about that.
    I see. I'm obviously not nearly dedicated enough!

It's got me thinking; who's posted the most? I see Pinno has passed the 40,000 mark. Can anyone beat that?
  • pinno

It's got me thinking; who's posted the most? I see Pinno has passed the 40,000 mark. Can anyone beat that?
    Rick Chasey
    Stevo666

But they deducted my 3k+ posts of lovely big ladies and ladies wearing fetching, contemporary knitwear.
    I only wish they had saved p404 where there was this beautiful blonde woman with a cheeky smile that I was totally besotted with.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,522
    pinno said:

Rick Chasey
    Stevo666

But they deducted my 3k+ posts of lovely big ladies and ladies wearing fetching, contemporary knitwear.
    I only wish they had saved p404 where there was this beautiful blonde woman with a cheeky smile that I was totally besotted with.
    Isn't that pic still on your hard drive with the rest of your 'arty pictures' stash?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • The "bodies piled high" remark does have the authentic Boris ring, the sort of rhetoric he might use to emphasise how much he didn't want another lockdown. The fact that several people claim to have heard him say makes it sound even more likely. That he's denied saying it all but confirms he did.

Wouldn't it be interesting if it turns out someone has a recording of it?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,522

That he's denied saying it all but confirms he did.

Reminds me of this :smile:

https://youtu.be/4HB7zqP9QNo
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

The "bodies piled high" remark does have the authentic Boris ring, the sort of rhetoric he might use to emphasise how much he didn't want another lockdown. The fact that several people claim to have heard him say makes it sound even more likely. That he's denied saying it all but confirms he did.

I was intrigued by Gove's comment about him being in the room and didn't hear it when, by accounts i've read say that Boris left the room and was next door, with the door open when he made the comment. It just gives Gove an "out".
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Stevo_666 said:

That he's denied saying it all but confirms he did.

Reminds me of this :smile:

https://youtu.be/4HB7zqP9QNo
    Boris is not the messiah. He's a very naughty boy.
  • pinno
    elbowloh said:

The "bodies piled high" remark does have the authentic Boris ring, the sort of rhetoric he might use to emphasise how much he didn't want another lockdown. The fact that several people claim to have heard him say makes it sound even more likely. That he's denied saying it all but confirms he did.

I was intrigued by Gove's comment about him being in the room and didn't hear it when, by accounts i've read say that Boris left the room and was next door, with the door open when he made the comment. It just gives Gove an "out".
    But Gove is a slimy bstard. It wasn't so long ago he stuck the knife in to BoJo during the Tory leadership elections.
  • pinno
    edited April 2021
    I like the new phrase 'Cash for curtains'.

Popcorn time.

As long as there are Rees Muggs, Gove's and BoJo's within the Tory party, there exists architects of the wedge being inexorably driven into the Union.
  • pinno
    Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Rick Chasey
    Stevo666

Isn't that pic still on your hard drive with the rest of your 'arty pictures' stash?
    Unfortunately not. That pic was posted by someone else.