UK Roundabouts and right turns.

2»

Comments

• PMark said:

I was told Cyclists are always meant to take the left lane at roundabouts, might be she didn't expect a cyclist to be in that lane.

I'm interested in whether this is actually taught/official advice for cyclists anywhere ?

No. Cyclists are meant to follow the highway code as for every other user and follow the same lane discipline.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,746
    So the Highway Code actually implies staying on the outside/left is a correct way to navigate roundabouts - surprised that's been allowed to stay in.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,163

So the Highway Code actually implies staying on the outside/left is a correct way to navigate roundabouts - surprised that's been allowed to stay in.
    It seems to suggest that cyclists should do the same as other road users i.e. follow rules 184-190 but it suggests that staying in the left hand lane is OK if you really want to do it:
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/rules-for-cyclists-59-to-82 (Rule 77)
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,746
    edited April 2021
    thistle_ said:

It seems to suggest that cyclists should do the same as other road users i.e. follow rules 184-190 but it suggests that staying in the left hand lane is OK if you really want to do it:
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/rules-for-cyclists-59-to-82 (Rule 77)
    Yes I guess if it said you should not or must not stay on the left all the way round that might be used in court against a cyclist who was hit whilst passing an exit.

In the other hand it's just such a dangerous thing to do I'm not sure it should even be presented as an option - at least not without a disclaimer to the effect that whilst legal its dangerous.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • rakkor
    rakkor Posts: 49
    edited April 2021
    Get a cameras, it won't stop the poor driving, but seeing them get 3 points is satisfying - Here's an example from my camera that cost the taxi driver 3 points, but didn't disqualify him even though he now has 15 points

My sweary encounter

• rakkor said:

Get a cameras, it won't stop the poor driving, but seeing them get 3 points is satisfying - Here's an example from my camera that cost the taxi driver 3 points, but didn't disqualify him even though he now has 15 points

My sweary encounter

Not an uncommon thing to happen, unfortunately. You wonder, did he really not see you with your bright-as-a-car's headlight, or did he see you and think, it's only a cyclist, they don't count?

Every time something like that happens to me I always think, I must get a camera, but I haven't, assuming the police aren't really interested in following up, even if presented with visual evidence. What was your experience with that?

There's a guy somewhere, actually bus driver I think, who has made it his mission to go after bad drivers. He cycles around festooned with cameras, calling out people on the phone, red light jumpers and so on, and reporting them to the police if the offence is blatant enough. He has a number of prosecutions to his name.
  • thistle_
    edited April 2021

Not an uncommon thing to happen, unfortunately. You wonder, did he really not see you with your bright-as-a-car's headlight, or did he see you and think, it's only a cyclist, they don't count?

It can happen - something about the way your eyes scan and your brain fills in the blanks.
    I'm 99% sure the old woman who drove out in front of me last year after sitting stationary at a junction for a few seconds genuinely didn't see me despite the bright clothing, a solid white light and a flashing Exposure joysitck and she was pretty shocked and shaken up about it.

But yeah, a lot of people do act like "it's only a bike it doesn't matter" or "it's someone else and they don't matter because I'm more important".
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,840
    I also think that there is a false perception of "It is only a bike, I have plenty of time".
    A high percentage of drivers do not appreciate how fast some cyclists travel at.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • thistle_
    pblakeney said:

I also think that there is a false perception of "It is only a bike, I have plenty of time".
    A high percentage of drivers do not appreciate how fast some cyclists travel at.

+1
  • pblakeney said:

Depending upon cost, I'm sure there would be a demand for an aero, lightweight breathable gillet that shows your speed in a big font in realtime on the front and back.

... Just not sure how that would work for TTers and others in an ultra aero position on their bikes.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • I also think that there is a false perception of "It is only a bike, I have plenty of time".

I would agree with this, I think a lot of people's perception is based on their own riding of a bike (probably some years ago as a kid), and perhaps understandably have no idea that a cyclist could be travelling at 20mph+. I have had a fair few drivers over the years who clearly thought they had time to pull out, suddenly hit the breaks when they realise that isn't the case.
  • pblakeney said:

I think you're right. It's a common misconception that a cyclist isn't likely to be travelling much faster than walking pace, so when a driver sees one 50 metres down the road, say, they assume it'll take ages for the cyclist to reach the junction.