Football stuff

1323334353638»

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,958

The scary thing is that despite all the available evidence, Gary Neville and Alan Shearer probably believe they could.

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,940

The state of the daily heil, they should rebrand as the daily xenophobe and be done with it.

So embarassing.

Sports newspaper of the year 🤣

Which year I wonder.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,560

Lee Carsley can proudly step down with the second highest win percentage of England managers, and the highest of any manager who lasted more than one game.

I feel like the FA decided that he wasn't a big enough name, and have gone for an expensive available option. One things for sure, with England it'll all end in tears.

• First.Aspect

He's not been appointed because he isn't the right guy for the job. It is more than just tactics, he needs to be able to persuade multi millionaire superstar players that he knows best. When your tactics are naive like against Greece, it doesn't help the cause.

I also suspect he didn't want the job.

• laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,535

Southgate's record speaks for itself.

In terms of results he is clearly without peer in management of the England football team.

However, I think that his greatest achievements were in his ability to take the weight off of the England jersey that had weighed so heavily on pretty much every England player before Southgate's arrival. His management of his players as people was as great as his management of them as players, his management of the media and his getting them "on side" helped massively in removing the burden of expectation from the players which, in turn, lead to a run of incredible results on the pitch. He got the otherwise apathetic in England to love their national side again and to take pride in the humility of those playing. His "Dear England" letter was perhaps the best example of how his mission was about something bigger than football.

The manager could be from England or from any other nation on earth as far as I'm concerned but they have a bloody hard act to follow and not just in terms of achievement on the pitch. I doubt we'll get a "like for like" which saddens me somewhat.

Wilier Izoard XP
  • He'll be hounded out. Even though he has managed at the highest level of club football I think he will be shocked by the level of vitriol should he do anything other than win a major trophy.

• First.Aspect

Every England manager gets hounded out eventually. Even Southgate was eventually getting battered for negative football and getting lucky for 4 tournaments running. The only exception would be one who wins something and then immediately resigns.

• MidlandsGrimpeur2
    MidlandsGrimpeur2 Posts: 2,031
    edited October 16

I may be looking back with rose tinted glasses but it didn't used to he as bad. I certainly recall Robson and Venables leaving for other jobs with a sense of gratitude amongst a lot of fans.

I heard on Radio 1 news earlier the FA have claimed they interviewed 10 candidates! Who the hell were they? Tuchel and Potter for certain. Who were the other eight?

• First.Aspect

I don't remember how Venables left, but Robson's time was definitely up according to the press. Less venom, for sure, than when Taylor, McLaren, Sven or Hoddeson went.

Allerdyce was never really properly England manager but he wouldn't have lasted long anyway. Keegan was prettyuch told in the background that he didn't have a clue and jumped. The press wasn't glowing I don't think.

• Robson left on a high after Italia 90. It wasn't long before that (November 1988) after a substandard display against Saudi Arabia that the tabloids demanded "In the name of Allah, go". Robson resigned but it wasn't accepted by the FA. (Apparently as the only viable alternative was Brian Clough, with whom there was personal bad blood.)

Graham Taylor got some fearsome abuse from the tabloids too.

• First.Aspect

I don't think the end of Italia 90 was a high. But it did feel like as far as that team would go, so he left.

Hate to break the news, but Southgate did the same thing for the same reason. This England side aren't going to win anything, because they peaked in Qatar.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,157

I see the contract is only for 18 months.

Hedging their bets that he actually qualifies. 😂

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Southgate wanted to leave after the 2022 WC but was asked to stay on.

Re Italia 90, I remember going through the following:

World Cup 78: Didn't qualify

Euros 80: Group stages, though in retrospect, qualifying for an 8-team final and finishing ahead of Spain was quite good.

WC 82: Flattered to deceive, not making it out of the second group stage despite not losing a match

Euros 84: Didn't qualify

WC 86: What a time to be alive.

Euros 88: Oh dear.

So Italia 90 was something of a high from my viewpoint. It was certainly not a level of excitement and hope achieved for another 6 years, so it was at least a cyclical highpoint.

• laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,535

To put things in perspective, tens of thousands of England football fans lined the streets to welcome England home after Italia '90 following a knockout on penalties by Germany.

Wilier Izoard XP
  • First.Aspect
    edited October 17

Fair enough. I've personally never seen a better England *team* than the 86/90 iteration. In 86, if they equalised in the QF (which they very nearly did) I think they would have gone on to win. And if they won that match the whole tournament was possible.

Since then, even where we've been close, somehow it has seemed less likely to actually happen.

• wallace_and_gromit
    wallace_and_gromit Posts: 3,510

I think winning in 1986 would have been a stretch, given that West Germany were also in the final, but that was a quite an England team. The optimum line up came about by accident too, with Robson getting injured and Wilkins getting sent off in the group stages.

From what I've read, Lineker's diving header "not equaliser" in the QF was the only time he didn't score at international level when he was sure it was going in after making his decisive move.

Hard to remember now, but Steve Bull was in the 1990 squad!

• First.Aspect

The Germans were pretty utilitarian that year. I say we'd have gone on to win it because it is the only tournament I can remember where we started badly (Wilkins sent off, the gaffer tape holding Robson's arm on gave way) and stumbled across a good balance and improved.

In 1990, England went 1-1 (Ireland), 0-0 (Netherlands) and then squeaked past Egypt. Wonder goal against Belgium in extra time after another 0-0, and profoundly lucky against Cameroon. We were totally outplayed and benefited from some agricultural defending and some savvy falling over in the box. There was precisely one good performance, against Germany that came a bit from nowhere.

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,977
    edited 8:31AM

96 side was pretty decent. Actual correct sided full backs, Gascoigne and Ince in the middle, Shearer and Sheringham up front. Even then we didn't have anyone on the left side of midfield though.

• MidlandsGrimpeur2

I would agree that the 90 side was very fortunate to make a SF, Cameroon battered us in that qtr final.

I would add 2004 and 2022 to the list of very good sides that had true potential to win. Had Rooney not fractured his foot against Portugal I am sure we would have won that tournament. I thought we were a better team than France in Qatar, it was more their ability to see out a big game rather than any tactical/technical deficiency on Englands part.

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,977
    edited 9:17AM

True - that documentary about Rooney in 2004 reminded you what a force he was.

• wallace_and_gromit
    wallace_and_gromit Posts: 3,510

2002 was the missed opportunity I think. 1-0 up against Brazil in the QFs just before HT, when England gave away a very soft equaliser, with just Turkey and Germany left to overcome in the SF and the final.

• MidlandsGrimpeur2

That's a good shout. Probably not the best squad we ever had but the quality overall in that tournament was fairly average.