Football stuff

Comments

• pblakeney said:

Averaged 38 appearances a year over the first 6 seasons at Madrid, and won a bit.

Pity about the last 3 years after that though.
    True, when he went on loan to Spurs he dropped down to only 34 appearances.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,157

pblakeney said:

Averaged 38 appearances a year over the first 6 seasons at Madrid, and won a bit.

...and won? 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

...and won? 😉
    This is Spurs, he's not a miracle worker.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,157

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

...and won? 😉
    This is Spurs, he's not a miracle worker.
    Clearly! 🤣
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited January 2023
    Scored some of the most important goals for the club. Even when he was a sub he'd score if it was a final.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,392
    It felt at times that the supporters were picking the team. He could have worked harder at integrating into Spanish life which I think is why the fans turned against him but if the manager was refusing to pick him why should he move somewhere else for less money? Real Madrid (and Barcelona) seem to love spending money they don't have to pull in the best players and then some of them don't get to play much.

That said, I hate seeing sportspeople in their prime who are prepared to sit on the bench at a club for more money when they could be starting every game elsewhere.
  • Scored some of the most important goals for the club. Even when he was a sub he'd score if it was a final.

So you know football fans and how they think... so why don't they like him?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Scored some of the most important goals for the club. Even when he was a sub he'd score if it was a final.

So you know football fans and how they think... so why don't they like him?
    Ha i'll assume you're rightly joking.

• In the Real version of events he declared himself unfit to play then 3 days later did exactly that for Wales.
    Ironically those Welsh fans who love that did not feel the same about Giggs doing the opposite

Understandable. I don’t see anything ironic about that.
  • You know how Manchester City fans love to reminisce about the size of the crowds they got in the third tier?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/manchester-city-charged-by-premier-league-with-breaking-financial-rules-3nfrpj36s
  • You know how Manchester City fans love to reminisce about the size of the crowds they got in the third tier?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/manchester-city-charged-by-premier-league-with-breaking-financial-rules-3nfrpj36s

I will open the bidding at a £10m fine and a further £30m and 15 point reduction suspended for 3 years

I will open the bidding at a £10m fine and a further £30m and 15 point reduction suspended for 3 years
    Probably right - but if they don't kick them out, it's a total joke. Financial penalties are obviously no penalties.

Probably right - but if they don't kick them out, it's a total joke. Financial penalties are obviously no penalties.
    relegating them is a financial penalty worth hundreds of millions of pounds which is so much that City would have to fight it all the way.

I read somewhere that the reality is that these sort of punishments have to be acceptable to the miscreant or the fight is not worth it.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,060
    I heard on the radio one thing they did was Mancini was being paid an equal amount (£2m) by the City owners to manage a team abroad... while he managed Man City - I mean if true how blatant does it have to be.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • I heard on the radio one thing they did was Mancini was being paid an equal amount (£2m) by the City owners to manage a team abroad... while he managed Man City - I mean if true how blatant does it have to be.

That is what I don't get, it was obvious to a blind man what they were doing so why the sudden bother?

Whilst the authorities will fold like a cheap suit will the American owners be shy of a law suit. And not forgetting at an excess of scousers coming at them for compensation.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,049
    Relegation is the answer as City have very deep pockets for any fines. Or if they are found to have really offended really badly, make them play in the SPL.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • skyblueamateur
    skyblueamateur Posts: 1,498
    Off to Wembley tomorrow with Cov on the cusp of the Premier League. Truly fairytale stuff.

My eldest got his first season ticket aged 5 when we’d just been relegated to League 2. This will be his third time at Wembley and we could have gone from League 2 to the Premier League in 5 years.

Regardless of result massively proud of the team. Mark Robins has brought the fans back on board and after years and years of shite the city is buzzing again.

Robins truly is our King!
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,492

Off to Wembley tomorrow with Cov on the cusp of the Premier League. Truly fairytale stuff.

My eldest got his first season ticket aged 5 when we’d just been relegated to League 2. This will be his third time at Wembley and we could have gone from League 2 to the Premier League in 5 years.

Regardless of result massively proud of the team. Mark Robins has brought the fans back on board and after years and years of shite the city is buzzing again.

Best of luck, as a Reading fan I am morally against the play-offs but love it when we're not involved. Will be great to see either of the finalists go up, gives all of us some hope!
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,488

Enjoy your day whatever the result. Just hope it doesn't end up in penalties.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,392

My colleague is a Luton supporter, they've been on a similar journey through the leagues albeit they did end up in League 2. He says he isn't bothered if they get promotion or not as with their style of football they'll be straight back down. My thinking is it's still better to go up, take the extra money for a season without spending and increase the club's financial security but that's as a neutral not a supporter.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,560

Enjoy, my first football game was a Wembley play off in 1998. You'll be creating treasured memories!
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

I still hate Luton for the plastic pitch so very best of luck.
  • skyblueamateur
    Pross said:

My colleague is a Luton supporter, they've been on a similar journey through the leagues albeit they did end up in League 2. He says he isn't bothered if they get promotion or not as with their style of football they'll be straight back down. My thinking is it's still better to go up, take the extra money for a season without spending and increase the club's financial security but that's as a neutral not a supporter.
    If Luton went up instead of us would be a fairytale for them too. Incredible journey.

Be great to see the big teams at Kenilworth Road and see how they cope. They’re a horrible team to play against there.

I’m not too arsed about Premier League football and enjoy the championship but and desperate for them to win for my boys. They live and breathe it.

For me it’s a day out with my sons, mates and a few beers. Whether that’s in the championship or PL it will still be ace.

Whatever happens Mark Robins is up there with Jimmy Hill, George Curtis and John Sillett in City legends. Incredible job.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,535

Have a great day and good luck to Cov (our erstwhile "lodgers" at Sixfields!) I have many mates who are going as we're pretty close to Cov.

Great as it was that my team got automatic promotion to League 1 this season, 20 years ago I was at Wembley to see Northampton win their playoff final against Swansea with a 95th minute re-spotted free kick. The explosion of joy of tens of thousands in the Wembley sunshine in that moment will stay with me forever.

My only ever experience of my team winning something at Wembley. There's nothing like it
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • skyblueamateur

Have a great day and good luck to Cov (our erstwhile "lodgers" at Sixfields!) I have many mates who are going as we're pretty close to Cov.

Great as it was that my team got automatic promotion to League 1 this season, 20 years ago I was at Wembley to see Northampton win their playoff final against Swansea with a 95th minute re-spotted free kick. The explosion of joy of tens of thousands in the Wembley sunshine in that moment will stay with me forever.

My only ever experience of my team winning something at Wembley. There's nothing like it
    Thank you.

As you say there’s nothing like that feeling. Notts County away in the playoff semi in League 2 was utterly incredible. Middlesbrough away last Wednesday was exactly the same. It’s indescribable.

I cherish the fact I can share these memories with my boys. I did the same with my dad so know what it will mean to them in years to come.

Regardless of the result though we’ll have a top craic and great day out.

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,060
    This is what your big club glory hunters miss out on - at Derby I sit next to 2 of my best mates from school 40 years ago - my son has a season ticket in the same stand (nowhere near me) with a couple of his mates from school.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • skyblueamateur

This is what your big club glory hunters miss out on - at Derby I sit next to 2 of my best mates from school 40 years ago - my son has a season ticket in the same stand (nowhere near me) with a couple of his mates from school.

Yeah, can never really understand that tbh. Still go with lads I went to school with 20 years ago and we now bring all our kids. A bit different to running round unfamiliar towns in our teens but still a massive buzz.

The footballs incidental at times and god knows being a Cov fan over the last 20 years there’s been some dire football, but always a good day out. Sure as a Derby fan you now understand that.

Makes any sort of success that much sweeter.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,488
    Commiseration SBA. Hope the kids aren't too upset!
  • skyblueamateur
    Ah thank you. Youngest was in floods of tears. Tough for them to take.

Was a great day out though with family and friends. What it’s all about.

Fair play to Luton. Been some journey for them as well.