100m training

I am mountain/fell runner primarily but got into road cycling in November to cross train for the running as I have arthritis in my hips ( I am 57) so have had to reduce the amount running I do. Anyways decided to aim for a 100 mile rides this summer just wondering what's the max length rides I should be doing in training before attempting the 100. In marathon training I would normally get in 3 or 4, 20 mile runs before the full marathon, just wondering is there a similar idea in cycling so far I am up 71 miles done a few sixties as well, was thinking maybe another 70 plus ride before giving the 100 a pop ?

Comments

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    If you can ride 70 miles you can almost certainly ride 100.

Good thing about cycling is that it's low impact so nothing stopping you going out day after day, except exhaustion!
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,254
    Yes, you could go out tomorrow and ride 100. What can hit you in the last 30 is doing the first 30 too hard before you're tired, or not eating enough haribo.

Have fun!
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,498
    A lot depends on your pacing and fuelling as well as how you feel on your current longer rides.

If you're struggling to finish 70 miles and you are knackered and take many days to recover, then you're probably not ideally setup for a 100 miler. By contrast, if you are eating on the bike and getting your nutrition right, and if you end your 70 mile rides feeling okay, then you're probably in a good place.
  • cheers everyone, yeah felt good at the end of the 70m and no problems the next day, other than been little dehydrated towards the end of the ride and the next day, I took 750 ml of water with me and used it all, so plan to take some more for the 100m or stop and refill somewhere.
    Will probably give it bash in the next week or two!
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    I'd drink a couple a 750s on a 70 mile ride too tbf... on a 100 I will usually stop at a shop at some point for more.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,616
    If you can do 100 miles in a week you can probably do 100 in one ride.
  • 100 mile on the bike is not anywhere near as tough as running a marathon. Energy wise it’s roughly 3500kj or kcals so a fair anoint of energy but low impact.

I used to run the odd marathon and it took a fair bit out of me. I only managed to race two marathons per year. In contrast last year I cycled twenty four 100 mile plus rides. So it’s something you can do every week if you want. In fact I rode 100 miles last Thursday and then another 100 on the Saturday. There is no way I could have done that with marathons.

So just go and do it. Just make sure you have two big bottles of water and at least 4 energy bars or bannanas to keep you fuelled. Or take a nice coffee stop mid ride.

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    I think it's the impact in running. I've done road races and sportives where I was more exhausted than I have been in a marathon but I was always fine a couple of days later. After a marathon I'm still struggling to walk 2 days later (or these days 2 days after a 10k).

The other difference is the minimum intensity. It is possible to cycle at a very low intensity - an intensity that is as low or lower than walking. If you take it easy then your 100 is more reasonably compared to a very long walk than a long run.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]