Forum home Road cycling forum The cake stop

Weird Sights

ProssPross Posts: 29,604
Walking the dog just now I was passed by a bloke who was bare chested which seemed odd at this time of night with it having gone quite chilly. It then dawned on me that he was bare footed before I realised he was only wearing boxers. At the bottom of the cutting he stopped quite happily at the side of the main road smoking, someone called over from the shop opposite that they would be over in a minute then drove over, picked him up and drive away.

It was very odd but not quite as much as a few years ago where there was a very tall, long legged blonde in high heels and tiny mini skirt just in front and on the opposite side of the road. 'She' then disappeared down the side of a retail unit and had a pee standing up. An even more surreal sight was at Gatwick airport where, having just cleared immigration after an overnight flight home from Florida, I saw an immaculately groomed late middle aged man coming up the elevator and as they reached the top saw he was wearing a red PVC censored tube, PVC mini skirt and high heels. I thought I was hallucinating as none of the family saw him but then saw a story in the paper about him as he'd been prevented from travelling in his usual wig.

Do these things follow me around or does everyone see similar sights on a semi-regular basis?
«1

Posts

  • pblakeneypblakeney Posts: 16,802
    edited 1 April
    Not regularly but two stand out.
    Entering Penn Station in Manhattan on the first escalator from the street down to be met by a guy coming up in full frog suit, tanks, mask, goggles, the lot. Backwards. Well he had to as he was wearing flippers.
    Walking down St. Catherines Street (the Main Street) after a Scottish wedding in Montreal with my friend in full kilt regalia when we passed a six foot tranny (+stilettos) in a red dress, Monroe wig, chest hair and beard on display etc only for the tranny to say "and I thought I was different.".
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • First.AspectFirst.Aspect Posts: 7,437
    Pross said:

    Walking the dog just now I was passed by a bloke who was bare chested which seemed odd at this time of night with it having gone quite chilly. It then dawned on me that he was bare footed before I realised he was only wearing boxers. At the bottom of the cutting he stopped quite happily at the side of the main road smoking, someone called over from the shop opposite that they would be over in a minute then drove over, picked him up and drive away.

    It was very odd but not quite as much as a few years ago where there was a very tall, long legged blonde in high heels and tiny mini skirt just in front and on the opposite side of the road. 'She' then disappeared down the side of a retail unit and had a pee standing up.

    If these happened in the same place, I would suggest a they are related.

    Stop walking your dog on skid row, that's my advice.
  • MattFalleMattFalle Posts: 6,149
    There is a weirdo who at the moment parks outside my work then goes running around the external car park in just his trackie bottoms - no shoes, socks, top before heading off in his van again
  • slowmartslowmart Posts: 4,137
    MattFalle said:

    There is a weirdo who at the moment parks outside my work then goes running around the external car park in just his trackie bottoms - no shoes, socks, top before heading off in his van again

    A colleague?
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

    Desmond Tutu
  • Ben6899Ben6899 Posts: 8,970
    I live not quite in Camden Town... completely desensitised, mate.
    Ben

    Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
  • rick_chaseyrick_chasey Posts: 57,361 Lives Here
    edited 1 April
    When I lived in NYC I regularly saw a guy, white, 40s probably, long hair, who would sit on a bench reading, totally naked except for a pair of boots on his feet.

    It only occurred to me once I returned to London that that was probably a bit weird.

    Best bit was clearly no-one else thought it was that weird as he was often sharing the bench with other people with no drama.
  • Ben6899Ben6899 Posts: 8,970
    edited 1 April
    Genuine Camden Town weirdos aside... there's a guy who lives near me who I won't pigeon-hole into the "weird sights" box, because he's clearly mentally ill. He walks the streets with his huge head of afro hair inside a carrier bag and he chants - in VERY LOUD bursts - without warning. Always takes newcomers by surprise.
    Ben

    Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
  • Years ago went to a funeral in Yetholm (which is at the end of the Pennine Way) . The wake was in the lounge bar of the local pub. We arrived and some of us opened the door to the bar , which was occupied by a group of clowns......

    Apparently they were being filmed walking the Pennine way in clown outfits!
  • Ben6899Ben6899 Posts: 8,970

    Years ago went to a funeral in Yetholm (which is at the end of the Pennine Way) . The wake was in the lounge bar of the local pub. We arrived and some of us opened the door to the bar , which was occupied by a group of clowns......

    Apparently they were being filmed walking the Pennine way in clown outfits!


    Echoes of Only Fools and Horses.
    Ben

    Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
  • TheBigBeanTheBigBean Posts: 14,061
    Pross said:



    It was very odd but not quite as much as a few years ago where there was a very tall, long legged blonde in high heels and tiny mini skirt just in front and on the opposite side of the road. 'She' then disappeared down the side of a retail unit and had a pee standing up.

    I went somewhere where women peed standing up. Obviously required a skirt and had greater splash back risk than for men, but none the less seemed to work.
  • orraloonorraloon Posts: 8,973
    Schoolfriend of mine once informed me of the existence of SheWee and other devices, which she took to festivals, hiking et al. Me being bloke didn't know about such things; learn summat new each day.
  • DeVlaeminckDeVlaeminck Posts: 7,312
    edited 1 April
    There's a guy round here who walks backwards everywhere - the story is (no idea if it's true - probably not) that his wife was killed in a car accident and he started walking backwards to note down car registration plates. He's become really well known locally in Derby - there are videos of him on YouTube if you search walking backwards guy.

    Another local character that everyone knows is an old guy on a mobility scooter with a boom box.

    Years ago - 1970s and 80s - there was a tramp "Bocker" Wright who used to be well known round the city centre - people of my generation still use "Bocker" as a friendly insult for someone scruffy.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • elbowlohelbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I used to work around Kings Cross before the area was cleared up, so these sound like everyday occurences.

    Was once driving through Trafalgar Square to find about 300 people dressed as panda bears crossing the road. I had to stop as the whole line of them crossed for about 10 mins.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • capt_slogcapt_slog Posts: 3,601
    A few years back my sister in law and her husband organised a family get together in London, and we stayed at the RAF place near Kings Cross. We had a meal in the evening, me being an unsociable barsteward didn't want to stick around in the bar drinking, (it's never been my thing, I drink little) neither did Mrs Slog so we 'retired' from the proceedings at around 10.

    Because it had been a big dinner I then felt I wanted to go for a walk, now about 11pm. So I walk over the road and found myself in the undercroft of King Cross station (I think). It was a bit lively! There was a nightclub in there, an all-night car wash, loads of people spraying paint on the walls and looking very organised about it, AND a chap sitting down playing a tuba, which emitted enormous flames out of the top of the about once per bar.

    The next morning over breakfast, I was relating what I'd seen. There were strange looks exchanged around the table, and they all thought I was making it up.


    The older I get, the better I was.

  • Ben6899Ben6899 Posts: 8,970
    capt_slog said:

    A few years back my sister in law and her husband organised a family get together in London, and we stayed at the RAF place near Kings Cross. We had a meal in the evening, me being an unsociable barsteward didn't want to stick around in the bar drinking, (it's never been my thing, I drink little) neither did Mrs Slog so we 'retired' from the proceedings at around 10.

    Because it had been a big dinner I then felt I wanted to go for a walk, now about 11pm. So I walk over the road and found myself in the undercroft of King Cross station (I think). It was a bit lively! There was a nightclub in there, an all-night car wash, loads of people spraying paint on the walls and looking very organised about it, AND a chap sitting down playing a tuba, which emitted enormous flames out of the top of the about once per bar.

    The next morning over breakfast, I was relating what I'd seen. There were strange looks exchanged around the table, and they all thought I was making it up.


    This sounds very much like Leake Street near Waterloo... was it definitely King's Cross?
    Ben

    Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
  • capt_slogcapt_slog Posts: 3,601
    Ben6899 said:

    capt_slog said:

    A few years back my sister in law and her husband organised a family get together in London, and we stayed at the RAF place near Kings Cross. We had a meal in the evening, me being an unsociable barsteward didn't want to stick around in the bar drinking, (it's never been my thing, I drink little) neither did Mrs Slog so we 'retired' from the proceedings at around 10.

    Because it had been a big dinner I then felt I wanted to go for a walk, now about 11pm. So I walk over the road and found myself in the undercroft of King Cross station (I think). It was a bit lively! There was a nightclub in there, an all-night car wash, loads of people spraying paint on the walls and looking very organised about it, AND a chap sitting down playing a tuba, which emitted enormous flames out of the top of the about once per bar.

    The next morning over breakfast, I was relating what I'd seen. There were strange looks exchanged around the table, and they all thought I was making it up.


    This sounds very much like Leake Street near Waterloo... was it definitely King's Cross?
    You're right! I know it was 'souf of the river', so it has to be that. We were staying at the Union Jack Club on Waterloo st.



    The older I get, the better I was.

  • elbowlohelbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I was about to say the same. Must be Waterloo with the club and the forces members club nearby.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • morstarmorstar Posts: 4,663
    Early morning bike ride in spring on a clear but cold morning I roll down a hill on a quiet backroad towards one of the many local reservoirs.

    Notice a car parked and a couple stood behind it.

    As I get closer, it is apparent it is a glamour shoot. The girl was perched on a wall dressed like a sexy roller waitress complete with rollerblades with the fella snapping away.

    Just a scene totally out of context and as it was very early I think they were quite surprised to be disturbed. She seemed rather shocked.
  • pblakeneypblakeney Posts: 16,802
    morstar said:

    Early morning bike ride in spring on a clear but cold morning I roll down a hill on a quiet backroad towards one of the many local reservoirs.

    Notice a car parked and a couple stood behind it.

    As I get closer, it is apparent it is a glamour shoot. The girl was perched on a wall dressed like a sexy roller waitress complete with rollerblades with the fella snapping away.

    Just a scene totally out of context and as it was very early I think they were quite surprised to be disturbed. She seemed rather shocked.

    Ah, yes. Crossing a remote small arch bridge woman in leopardskin mini skirt and boobtube that didn't look like they were going to remain in place long. Photographer and "assistant". They were pretty chill about being caught.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • tetley10tetley10 Posts: 547
    I saw a fella turn up on a club run and he was wearing red bib longs, extra red.
    I also saw someone going into the Asda in full chem suit. It was Swanley Asda though so he may have just been playing it safe.
  • shirley_bassoshirley_basso Posts: 4,586
    Katusha kit?
  • pblakeneypblakeney Posts: 16,802
    tetley10 said:

    I saw a fella turn up on a club run and he was wearing red bib longs, extra red.

    I've seen them. Not something I'd buy but not what I'd consider weird either.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • johngtijohngti Posts: 1,854
    tetley10 said:

    I saw a fella turn up on a club run and he was wearing red bib longs, extra red.

    1. We weren’t a club then
    2. We’d not been riding long so taste was yet to develop.
    3. THEY WERE BLACK AND RED!!!!!
  • motogullmotogull Posts: 325
    elbowloh said:

    I used to work around Kings Cross before the area was cleared up, so these sound like everyday occurences.

    Was once driving through Trafalgar Square to find about 300 people dressed as panda bears crossing the road. I had to stop as the whole line of them crossed for about 10 mins.

    That sounds like Hartlepool football fans. Last away game of the season they go fancy dress. They did smurfs once I think.
  • tetley10tetley10 Posts: 547

    Katusha kit?

    No

  • tetley10tetley10 Posts: 547
    pblakeney said:

    tetley10 said:

    I saw a fella turn up on a club run and he was wearing red bib longs, extra red.

    I've seen them. Not something I'd buy but not what I'd consider weird either.
    You weren't there man.

  • pblakeneypblakeney Posts: 16,802
    tetley10 said:

    pblakeney said:

    tetley10 said:

    I saw a fella turn up on a club run and he was wearing red bib longs, extra red.

    I've seen them. Not something I'd buy but not what I'd consider weird either.
    You weren't there man.

    If they were see-thru then you have a point that you didn't make. Otherwise, meh.
    Brings me on to any muppet who wears white shorts in the rain. 🤮
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • elbowlohelbowloh Posts: 7,078
    motogull said:

    elbowloh said:

    I used to work around Kings Cross before the area was cleared up, so these sound like everyday occurences.

    Was once driving through Trafalgar Square to find about 300 people dressed as panda bears crossing the road. I had to stop as the whole line of them crossed for about 10 mins.

    That sounds like Hartlepool football fans. Last away game of the season they go fancy dress. They did smurfs once I think.
    They were all in the same outfit, deffo not homemade either. Think it was some sort of promo thing
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • I may have mentioned this before elsewhere, but once saw about 50 wigs of various colours strewn about the verge and caught up in a hedge.
  • oblongomaculatusoblongomaculatus Posts: 587
    edited 2 April
    Ed Miliband.

    Nothing weird about him being on the street during an election campaign. He's just weird full stop.

Sign In or Register to comment.