• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    hopkinb said:

MattFalle said:

hopkinb said:

MattFalle said:

hopkinb said:

Stevo_666 said:

Junior was triggered by last nights news about the Derek Chauvin trial. Me explaining that everyone has a right to a fair trial and they couldn't just take him straight down to the electric chair without having a trial first didn't go down terribly well.

You're probably on shaky ground there Stevo, especially in the US, were you to reverse the polarity, so to speak.

Anyway, Mrs H³, in her infinite wisdom, and inability to to not spend money, has bought an outdoor gas fired pizza oven. So we are trying that out tonight. It does get bloody hot. Just knocked out mini's pizza in literally 60 seconds. She is delighted with it.
    poidh

sweeet as!

we have the same principle - slab of stone with a metal lid that sits on top of the bbq - basically does exactly the same job
    Your solution at considerably less cost. Still, it's her money.

We just bought some ready made dough, tinned sauce and cheap mozzarella.

I reckon if you buy the right flour, make your own dough, good tomatoes and cheese, it'll be dirt cheap and delicious, few bits of salami, nduja or chorizo, onions. Except the bloody bottled gas, that's about as much as gold.
    we make our own dough but yup, mozarella, some sauce and add nice bits (salami, olives, chilli, TDV like an anchovy or two) and its delish.

Or go oil and salt for pizza bianca as well.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    edited March 2021
    sungod said:

hopkinb said:

I reckon it gets tandoor hot, so homemade naans, rotis. It came with a cast iron sizzly thing too, so non bread based cooking too. Tandoori chicken etc.

Still a gigantic waste of money, unless heavily used. Fingers crossed for that hot summer.

i use a tawa for chapattis/rotis, make them thin, get it to killing heat on the induction, 15-30 sec a side, nom

i got a cast iron one in india, 2-3kg, should last several centuries so there's heirloom potential, and in the event of burglars a fearsome weapon
    I remember being stopped between lucknow and Varanasi on a train for ages. Sitting, legs out of the door, watching a grandma (probably 32, but a hard life), turning out rotis for the family on a tawa over some charcoal. Smoking Wills ciggies. Those white heron like birds (egrets?) everywhere. Veg thali from the on train catering. Lime pickle.

I'll go back. Even on my own. Head south. Calcutta, Madras, then across to Cochi and Kerala.
  • hopkinb
    MattFalle said:

First holiday me and Mrs H³ went on, we flew into Pisa, train to Firenze, train to Rome, picked up a car, drove to Ostuni in Puglia. I had pizza bianca from a shop in Campo de' Fiori in Rome. Utter bliss.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    hopkinb said:

sungod said:

hopkinb said:

I reckon it gets tandoor hot, so homemade naans, rotis. It came with a cast iron sizzly thing too, so non bread based cooking too. Tandoori chicken etc.

Still a gigantic waste of money, unless heavily used. Fingers crossed for that hot summer.

i use a tawa for chapattis/rotis, make them thin, get it to killing heat on the induction, 15-30 sec a side, nom

i got a cast iron one in india, 2-3kg, should last several centuries so there's heirloom potential, and in the event of burglars a fearsome weapon
    I remember being stopped between lucknow and Varanasi on a train for ages. Sitting, legs out of the door, watching a grandma (probably 32, but a hard life), turning out rotis for the family on a tawa over some charcoal. Smoking Wills ciggies. Those white heron like birds (egrets?) everywhere. Veg thali from the on train catering. Lime pickle.

I'll go back. Even on my own. Head south. Calcutta, Madras, then across to Cochi and Kerala.
    hopkinb said:

sungod said:

hopkinb said:

You get white egrets all over the south coast of England now, normally found in Egypt!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    hopkinb said:

MattFalle said:

First holiday me and Mrs H³ went on, we flew into Pisa, train to Firenze, train to Rome, picked up a car, drove to Ostuni in Puglia. I had pizza bianca from a shop in Campo de' Fiori in Rome. Utter bliss.
    Really good pizza is ridiculously cheap as well in Italy. Had amazing pizza in Naples and Sorrento, but randomly the best pizza I ever tasted was a hole-in-the wall, pizza by the slice place i went to in Torino. Think it was about a euro for a huge slice.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • hopkinb
    We have a tentacle in Milan. Once these restrictions are lifted. I'm there, and back to Madrid, and Oslo, and Stockholm, and Düsseldorf, Stuttgart, Canaries, tel aviv, Prague, Paris.
  • MattFalle
    hopkinb said:

sungod said:

hopkinb said:

I spent my 25th birthday night on an overnight train between who knows and Go knows smoking bhindis.

it wasn't until the next morning that I realised the toilet had been leaking under the dividing wall and my rucksack had soaked up thepissandshitandspit of 30,000 people.

I picked it up and put it straight in the nearest bin.

ah, good times, good times.....
  • MattFalle
    edited March 2021
    elbowloh said:

hopkinb said:

MattFalle said:

Really good pizza is ridiculously cheap as well in Italy. Had amazing pizza in Naples and Sorrento, but randomly the best pizza I ever tasted was a hole-in-the wall, pizza by the slice place i went to in Torino. Think it was about a euro for a huge slice.
    Rome, 1982, slices of pizza at 3 in the morning whilst the whole of Rome drove around tooting their horns celebrating yet another world cup victory by the mighty azzurri.

rockin'
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,149
    MattFalle said:

hopkinb said:

sungod said:

hopkinb said:

I spent my 25th birthday night on an overnight train between who knows and Go knows smoking bhindis.

it wasn't until the next morning that I realised the toilet had been leaking under the dividing wall and my rucksack had soaked up thepissandshitandspit of 30,000 people.

Edinburgh to London?
  • hopkinb
    MattFalle said:

hopkinb said:

sungod said:

hopkinb said:

Back in 1995 it was heaven on earth, mountains, deserts, trekking, parties.

But, yes, the shitandpissandspit and the giardiasis and the mosquito bites, they all fade.

Bhaji and chutney breakfast in Pushkar, overlooking the lake. Muttar paneer in vashisht in the himalayan foothills. The 5 star buffet with classical sitar and tabla at the lake Palace in Udaipur. The taj mahal.

I could go on, but they're my memories, and so tedious to anyone else. I loved it though. Though at 21 years old, everything is brilliant.

Now, a tricky but doable crossword, a nice ride in the early morning sun, not being hassled too much. Time to think.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,347
    edited March 2021
    hopkinb said:

Skill levels will improve.

Yeah, maybe 30 seconds next time.

And you don't need it for Naan, just a non stick pan.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    MattFalle said:

elbowloh said:

hopkinb said:

MattFalle said:

Rome, 1982, slices of pizza at 3 in the morning whilst the whole of Rome drove around tooting their horns celebrating yet another world cup victory by the mighty azzurri.

rockin'
    How old were you, 2?

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,410
    pinno said:

MattFalle said:

elbowloh said:

hopkinb said:

MattFalle said:

rockin'
    How old were you, 2?

8/9
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • MattFalle
    seanoconn said:

pinno said:

MattFalle said:

elbowloh said:

hopkinb said:

MattFalle said:

rockin'
    How old were you, 2?

8/9
    Yup - born Feb '74.

Can't remember much else from early years but this stands out.
  • MattFalle
    hopkinb said:

MattFalle said:

hopkinb said:

sungod said:

hopkinb said:

Back in 1995 it was heaven on earth, mountains, deserts, trekking, parties.

But, yes, the shitandpissandspit and the giardiasis and the mosquito bites, they all fade.

Bhaji and chutney breakfast in Pushkar, overlooking the lake. Muttar paneer in vashisht in the himalayan foothills. The 5 star buffet with classical sitar and tabla at the lake Palace in Udaipur. The taj mahal.

I could go on, but they're my memories, and so tedious to anyone else. I loved it though. Though at 21 years old, everything is brilliant.

Now, a tricky but doable crossword, a nice ride in the early morning sun, not being hassled too much. Time to think.
    1999/2000 for me and TDV and agree completely with all you said - the colours, smells sights, madness of it all: absolutely crackin'
  • MattFalle
    elbowloh said:

hopkinb said:

MattFalle said:

Pizza doesn't have to be fancy Dan Martin Fandango - opposite the Hotel Carlton in Pescara right on the beach is a cafe/bar that sells 1 Euro pizza - the guy makes the dough feesh, straight in the oven, tomato or bianca.

Sorted.

Little bit bigger than a mini pizza and utterly wonderful. Easily knock off 5 in a sitting.

• homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,019
    Best pizza on Como is from the Lumin in Cremia, Pizza Diavola con Gamberetti.

Advocate of disc brakes.
  • MattFalle
    edited March 2021
    Heavy Metal pizza man - aka Pizzeria La Diavola - in Raiaono, Abruzzo - best pizza in Italy and on the year's Giro route.

Anyone says any different I'll fight them.

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,515
    Different.

Come on then...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • MattFalle
    You ever fought a man who is wearing high heels and stockings?

Well you're about to.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Labcoats are off, I guess?
  • pinno
    Stevo_666 said:

Different.

Come on then...

Now, what would you look like covered from head to toe in Hello Kitty plasters...
  • MattFalle

Labcoats are off, I guess?

too right.

this is serious.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,515
    MattFalle said:

You ever fought a man who is wearing high heels and stockings?

Well you're about to.

You'd do well for yourself in Bangkok.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]