friday flying low across the trees, pilots doing what they please

Comments

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,146
    I've got a performance enhancing iced bun for the ride later, assuming it stays dry. Absolutely tipped it down this morning.
    Got dropped by a 6 year old on the way in - to be fair he did nearly crash into a crowd of people as a result. Bloody cyclists.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,330
    thistle_ said:

I've got a performance enhancing iced bun for the ride later, assuming it stays dry. Absolutely tipped it down this morning.
    Got dropped by a 6 year old on the way in - to be fair he did nearly crash into a crowd of people as a result. Bloody cyclists.

It was Seano.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno

Hmm, where'd my post go?

Just for @pinno

Oh, I can see you!
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,009
    More DIY meh this afternoon...
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • pinno
    seanoconn said:

pinno said:

hopkinb said:

elbowloh said:

pinno said:

MattFalle said:

Meant to be heading off to do some things with big bags on our backs in prep of some intresting and intriguing stuff coming up later this year but have decided to go and shout at people instead.

MattFalle said:

Join the Army they saud, travel the world they said ....

?

He's being deployed to the middle east...
    Polishing his boots with fresh coffee first though. I always wondered how they got that high gloss shine.

My mate (who was a signaller) had two pairs - one for everyday use and one for show.
    He got a tin of wax, heated it gently, and then used a warm spoon to coat the boot and make it glossy.

A tale (true or not, I do not know) is that they found a man in his humble cottage in a remote part of the highlands who had died.
    They found a pair of boots. The leather and laces had almost completely disintegrated but the 'shell' from the waxing had remained intact.
    I had a mate in an aviation academy who had a side business selling pre shined shoes and belt buckles which he hid in the ceiling tiles. Unfortunately he got busted by gunnery sergeant Foley who punished him for an entire weekend, trying to force him to quit. Zack Mayo, my friend, broke down in tears telling Foley that he had nowhere else to go. Foley gave Zack one more chance to prove himself. Zack was a changed man and later saved his girlfriend from her dead end factory job as he whisked her off her feet wearing his smart military dress uniform and walked out with her in his arms to the applause of her colleagues.
    I think that could be a blockbuster. No, I think it could be a blockbuster. Oh forget it.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    MattFalle said:

pinno said:

seanoconn said:

Sacked the bike this morning because I’m a lazy wimp but all will change next week when I switch to sungod’s patented training regime in my bid to crack Hollywood.

Rise at 3:30am, coffee, weights, protein, steroids. Work webex, lunch, weights, protein, steroids. Gym, protein, steroids, acting lesson, bubbly, protein, steroids, bed.

#gettothechopper!

No EPO?! Amateur.

Despite all the domestic shenanigans Elbow, sounds like you are in a good position. Nice headache to have.

Lucy Worsley... sigh.

Breezy here and a bit chilly but hey - the sun is out.

Good luck Hayden - sounds like you'll need it.

@Wheelspinner [politely] f*ck off. Anyone can find pics like that on the internet.

talking of work this week, and WA's pictures. been in worse places, saved this for today to cheer you all up.

#taxpayers'money
    #wedidgetonthechopper
    #pickyourunitifyou'regoodenough
    #bystrength.....
    That picture reminds me of the final episode of band of brothers.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    pinno said:

thistle_ said:

It was Seano.
    He said 6 year old, not 60.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,862
    elbowloh said:

pinno said:

thistle_ said:

It was Seano.
    He said 6 year old, not 60.
    Maybe it was IQ related?
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,401
    Oi!
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,480
    edited March 2021
    pinno said:

Hmm, where'd my post go?

Just for @pinno

Oh, I can see you!
    For some reason reminded me of that old Castlemaine 4x ad

https://youtu.be/XRJwJc6Yppo
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Stevo_666 said:

haydenm said:

Client call at 1pm, difficult questions about tax, then I'll fly through my expenses and an early finish hopefully.

A company I wanted to work for has finally released some job roles 6-8 months late for me. My new job is great but I'd liked to have been able to interview for this too at the time. Ah well

I thought it was all dead simple?
    Nothing complicated on the face of it, but land and crop are treated differently. If you buy a £25m property you have the current value of the trees (volumes and timber prices vary wildly), and usually a productive and unproductive land value underneath. The percentage split changes through the lifecyle of the crops and is entirely variable depending on your assumptions. The problem is it's very subjective and there is no agreed method... In my previous employment the tax advisors spent a very long time digging through values and splits for 15-20 years in the past when the entire market was different.

I tend to suggest the value of the crop is the compensation a windfarm developer or similar would have to pay, (current value regardless of age, rather than optimal felling age), and a base productive land value rate. I think it's more about consistency than anything, it's extremely rare that it is stipulated in a sale/acquisition

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    haydenm said:

Stevo_666 said:

haydenm said:

Client call at 1pm, difficult questions about tax, then I'll fly through my expenses and an early finish hopefully.

A company I wanted to work for has finally released some job roles 6-8 months late for me. My new job is great but I'd liked to have been able to interview for this too at the time. Ah well

Nothing complicated on the face of it, but land and crop are treated differently. If you buy a £25m property you have the current value of the trees (volumes and timber prices vary wildly), and usually a productive and unproductive land value underneath. The percentage split changes through the lifecyle of the crops and is entirely variable depending on your assumptions. The problem is it's very subjective and there is no agreed method... In my previous employment the tax advisors spent a very long time digging through values and splits for 15-20 years in the past when the entire market was different.

I tend to suggest the value of the crop is the compensation a windfarm developer or similar would have to pay, (current value regardless of age, rather than optimal felling age), and a base productive land value rate. I think it's more about consistency than anything, it's extremely rare that it is stipulated in a sale/acquisition

thats fine maybe but any pics of norks?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    edited March 2021
    hopkinb said:

MattFalle said:

pinno said:

seanoconn said:

Sacked the bike this morning because I’m a lazy wimp but all will change next week when I switch to sungod’s patented training regime in my bid to crack Hollywood.

Rise at 3:30am, coffee, weights, protein, steroids. Work webex, lunch, weights, protein, steroids. Gym, protein, steroids, acting lesson, bubbly, protein, steroids, bed.

#gettothechopper!

No EPO?! Amateur.

Despite all the domestic shenanigans Elbow, sounds like you are in a good position. Nice headache to have.

Lucy Worsley... sigh.

Breezy here and a bit chilly but hey - the sun is out.

Good luck Hayden - sounds like you'll need it.

@Wheelspinner [politely] f*ck off. Anyone can find pics like that on the internet.

talking of work this week, and WA's pictures. been in worse places, saved this for today to cheer you all up.

#taxpayers'money
    #wedidgetonthechopper
    #pickyourunitifyou'regoodenough
    #bystrength.....
    That picture reminds me of the final episode of band of brothers.
    Couldn't they be arzed to go back to where they had come from either because it was far nicer where they were at that moment in time?

• hopkinb
    Nah, the scenery, 2 guys in uniform by a body of water in the sunshine.
  • hopkinb
    You must have seen band of brothers?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,480
    haydenm said:

Stevo_666 said:

haydenm said:

I was only kiddin about it being simple.

Purchase price allocation = usually pretty subjective.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    haydenm said:

Stevo_666 said:

haydenm said:

Saved under the file: Cures for insomnia.
  • hopkinb
    It's a masterpiece. One episode is even centred round a medic's experience at Bastogne during the battle of the bulge. No plasters, no calpol.

You must have seen it.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    hopkinb said:

One of my top two series ever. I read the book a few years before the show came out and the show really did it justice.

I also read Major Winters autobiography a while back.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • seanoconn

Epic

We salute the rank not the man.
  • thistle_
    Went for a ride. Bit windy.
    So much traffic, it's like some lockdown rule's about to change and people have gone crazy.

Followed a guy on an old road bike with flat pedals, casual clothes, backpack absolutely leathering it down the big hill.
    I could've gone faster to overtake but the road was twisty and potholed and he clearly had bigger balls than me.
    Legend.
  • hopkinb
    edited March 2021
    seanoconn said:

Epic

First one Spiers? Amazing character development, the nutter backstory.

Then that last snipe at Cap. Sobel at the end.

But apart from the episode "why we fight", which is utterly brilliant, the speech in the final episodefrom the Wehrmacht general to his men on surrender, translated by Gottlieb, who was Jewish.

Then what always gets me, these guys were conscripts and volunteers, that it was based on reality, and that Capt/Major Winters and other veterans provided commentary before and after each episode, but you don't know who was who until the end.

Perfect TV, and must be 20 years old.
  • MattFalle
    edited March 2021
    hopkinb said:

Saw it donkeys ago - very, very good. Deffo a re watcher.

All looks very, well, noisy, tbh. And their boots don't look very comfy though.

• MattFalle
    hopkinb said:

It's a masterpiece. One episode is even centred round a medic's experience at Bastogne during the battle of the bulge. No plasters, no calpol.

You must have seen it.

no Hello Kittys? No Calpol?

Stuff that.

#turnthosetearsintosmiles
  • MattFalle
    seanoconn said:

Epic

Deffo the bottom quote. 100% deffo.
  • hopkinb
    elbowloh said:

hopkinb said:

One of my top two series ever. I read the book a few years before the show came out and the show really did it justice.

I also read Major Winters autobiography a while back.
    It's brilliant. Film work, casting, subject matter.

What's the other series elbow?

I've never watched The Pacific series made by the same people.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    Evening folks,
    Busy day of WFH with the delights of Teams meetings thrown in. Very glad it's Friday. Now chilling with a cold drink. Nice to have the lad down for a few days.
    Thought you'd know to be wary of old men on steel framed road bikes Thistle.
  • thistle_

Evening folks,
    Busy day of WFH with the delights of Teams meetings thrown in. Very glad it's Friday. Now chilling with a cold drink. Nice to have the lad down for a few days.
    Thought you'd know to be wary of old men on steel framed road bikes Thistle.

True.
    One frequents the local time trials and I don't mean tlw .
  • seanoconn
    hopkinb said:

seanoconn said:

Epic

But apart from the episode "why we fight", which is utterly brilliant, the speech in the final episodefrom the Wehrmacht general to his men on surrender, translated by Gottlieb, who was Jewish.

Then what always gets me, these guys were conscripts and volunteers, that it was based on reality, and that Capt/Major Winters and other veterans provided commentary before and after each episode, but you don't know who was who until the end.

https://youtu.be/76XTG6dFgx0

He really did run through enemy lines and back again!
  • hopkinb
    seanoconn said:

hopkinb said:

seanoconn said:

Epic

https://youtu.be/76XTG6dFgx0

He really did run through enemy lines and back again!
    But did he give the prisoners smokes before shooting them in cold blood.

The speech he gives to Blithe about how a soldier can only operate once he gives up hope.