Rose Bikes not honouring bike warranty

2»

Comments

• Charlie_Croker
    Charlie_Croker Posts: 1,699
    From what I am reading here and in the ‘garantie’ you ARE covered by the manufactures guarantee or contract as it would be in legal terms weather they claim it’s a crash or not.

They would have to prove (to a judge) that you have crashed in order in invoke the “Crash Replacement Guarantee” I believe a judge would side with you. When you bought your cycle Britain was in the EU, it doesn’t matter that Britain’s left the EU your rights stand anyway. To me this a is clear breach of contract.

I strongly suggest you get some legal advice from a solicitor if you can’t afford one go to the citizens advice bureau for help. Get some proper legal advice before you do anything! Please
  • i.bhamra
    i.bhamra Posts: 304

From the photos, it doesn't look like the bike has been looked after....

I don't see how you can reasonably come to that conclusion. Sure there are a few scuffs but nothing unusual for a bike that has been used for >2years.

To the OP, I think as others have said you need to get some advice, maybe citizens advice bureau or just a good look at the consumer rights act. Rose can't prove the damage is the result of a crash just as you can't prove it wasn't. They are clearly just hoping you'll give up and go away. Don't!
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042

Personally I would say any kind of legal action such as small claims is a no go. You simply can't prove it, any expert you provided to say it was a defect would likely have a counter expert from Rose saying it was a crash.

I would suggest the next step would be to contact one of the German ADR bodies to see if they can help

https://www.evz.de/en/shopping-internet/alternative-dispute-resolution/adr-bodies-in-germany.html

BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Rose have a pretty good reputation for customer service so I guess they must feel they are within their rights to reject a warranty claim. Still worth challenging their decision though.

Regarding how the damage was caused, without starting a whole other debate, have you used the bike on a turbo? If so, was it clamped correctly? Only ask as I've seen pictures and read about similar issues which were caused by being used in a turbo but not being locked in place correctly or not using the correct skewers.

• pinkbikini
    pinkbikini Posts: 876
    Looks like the mech hanger and the rear dropout have sheared. I'm guessing the mech made of some sort of monkey metal has failed and pinged the rear derailleur against the dropout, causing the failure.

But if I was Rose, I'd look at that and think that someone has packed a bike badly for travel and then sat on the rear triangle in the airport when the bike was lying flat. It's a very unusual failure.

Good luck to the OP with this - I'd be trying to negotiate a really good 'goodwill' deal on a replacement (or perhaps a repair, but I'd go for a new frame). I know that sucks when you haven't done anything wrong, but it's the most realistic good outcome that doesn't involve months (minimum) of hassle. IMO. Sorry.

BTW, whoever was referring to a 'dork disc' stopping the rear mech going into the spokes was probably drunk - the mech would have to get all the way through the spokes anyway before it hit the disc. That's not what it's for!
  • firmo123
    firmo123 Posts: 12
    No. The bike has never been used on a turbo.
    As I said in an earlier message, I live in Andalucía and the weather is almost always good. I have no need for a turbo / indoor trainer (though I wished I had had one during the lockdown).

Before this incident, the bike hadn't even been used for almost 5 months because I had been spending time away from home (without the bike).
    redvision said:

Rose have a pretty good reputation for customer service so I guess they must feel they are within their rights to reject a warranty claim. Still worth challenging their decision though.

Regarding how the damage was caused, without starting a whole other debate, have you used the bike on a turbo? If so, was it clamped correctly? Only ask as I've seen pictures and read about similar issues which were caused by being used in a turbo but not being locked in place correctly or not using the correct skewers.

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,155
    i.bhamra said:

From the photos, it doesn't look like the bike has been looked after....

I don't see how you can reasonably come to that conclusion. Sure there are a few scuffs but nothing unusual for a bike that has been used for >2years.

To the OP, I think as others have said you need to get some advice, maybe citizens advice bureau or just a good look at the consumer rights act. Rose can't prove the damage is the result of a crash just as you can't prove it wasn't. They are clearly just hoping you'll give up and go away. Don't!
    Although it seems that Rose offer a crash replacement guarantee as well - 50% of the retail price of the nearest current model (presumably just a frameset not a whole bike).
  • joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,077
    It def looks like a case of mech in the wheel in which case Rose could quite rightly say it's improper use. I would be surprised if any manufacturer covered that after 2.5 years.

It would be nice if the hanger broke, but it's not always the case. You say you were just going up a 20% climb, did you shift the rear derailauer? You hadn't used the bike in 5 months, did you check all the gears were working smoothly when you started riding? 5 months under tension is enough for cables and housing to move a bit.

• pinkbikini
    pinkbikini Posts: 876
    If you look at the photos closely the hanger has sheared, the dropout has sheared and (didn’t spot this before) the rear mech has sheared - plates ripped apart.

Really looks like the ultimate unlucky outcome where mech hanger has sheared and the mech has then jammed between spokes and frame, ripping the dropout. Really bad luck.

I’d say not the fault of the bike frame, judging by the mech and mech hanger. Again, sorry.

Go for goodwill discount on a new frame. Or since you’re in Spain, buy yourself an Orbea as a treat?
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

If you look at the photos closely the hanger has sheared, the dropout has sheared and (didn’t spot this before) the rear mech has sheared - plates ripped apart.

Really looks like the ultimate unlucky outcome where mech hanger has sheared and the mech has then jammed between spokes and frame, ripping the dropout. Really bad luck.

I’d say not the fault of the bike frame, judging by the mech and mech hanger. Again, sorry.

Go for goodwill discount on a new frame. Or since you’re in Spain, buy yourself an Orbea as a treat?

Yes buy an Orbea who will honour the warranty by supergluing or riveting the dropout back on if you happen to break it.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,812
    firmo123 said:

Hahaha!! Yeah, I only popped out to meet a (female) friend to lead her back to my house.

MattFalle said:

She?

Don't hold back on details. 😉

For the benefit of those who take things too seriously I am joking and do not expect an honest response.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • string78
    string78 Posts: 59
    Sadly I've had the same experience with Rose just before Christmas. Frame snapped in the exact same place, admittedly it was being used on a direct drive trainer for only the third time. I got out of the saddle for a climb and ended up on the floor with a snapped frame and damaged turbo. Sent the frame off to be examined but they didnt want to play ball.

I wasn't expecting them to replace the frame free of charge but had been hoping for some kind of discount on a new frameset but nothing was forthcoming. The bike was 6 years old and had done me great service so had to suck it up and am now waiting on a Bowman Palace 3C to transfer everything across to.

Good luck trying to get it rectified, Rose's customer service was excellent when I first purchased the bike new, repairing a damaged wheel, offering a favourable discount for a scratched crankset. They certainly seem to have dropped off over the last couple of years though. It's a shame as I had been looking at purchasing a third bike from them until they decided to stop shipping to the UK.

• alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    Have to say the scuffs on the hoods and levers look to me like they've been in a crash, so even if that's not the case I don't blame Rose for coming to that conclusion. Similar marks on my bikes have all come from crashes, whereas scuffs from walls are much less noticeable.