Any hedgehogs out yet?

Comments

• Found one wandering round in the street one cold October morning a few years ago, so I took it into the back garden, which is enclosed, ie no way out for the hedgehog. It built a nest at the back of a border, to which I added a bit of wood leaning against the wall. It would emerge every evening for some cat food (seemed to eat almost as much as a cat!) and didn't hibernate until December. Re-appeared in March. In June I thought it was time for it to go, so I made a hole in the fence, through which it presumably left. I thought it might return in the evenings for more cat food, so I left the hole, but it never did.

That summer the garden was almost free of slugs and snails. It had evidently snaffled all those in addition to the cat food.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,364

That summer the garden was almost free of slugs and snails. It had evidently snaffled all those in addition to the cat food.

Yeah, they are top slug munchers.

Did you give it a name? :)

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno said:

Spiny Norman.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    My wife named one hedgehog Wheaty. Because he came at 8 pm most nights one summer.

She named another Big Balls. Nuff said.
  • pinno

pinno said:

Spiny Norman.

Oh dear.
  • pinno said:

pinno said:

Spiny Norman.

Oh dear.
    ?
  • pinno
    'We're only making plans for Norman'.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,620
    Wouldn't dream of naming a hedgehog Norman.

That is however the name of the jay that lives in our local woods.
  • pinno
    edited April 2021
    mrb123 said:

Wouldn't dream of naming anything 'Norman'.

FTFY. But my point entirely.

You see, if Mr and Mrs Hitler had named their son Norman, rather than Adolf, we would have consigned the name to the history books.

• Spiny Norman was the name of the giant hedgehog Dinsdale Piranha believed to be pursuing him in a Monty Python sketch parodying the Kray Twins. Norman was said to be ten feet long "from 'is 'ed to 'is aynus'"

And wasn't that song "Making Plans For Nigel?"
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694

And wasn't that song "Making Plans For Nigel?"

I think a lot of people have been making plans for Nigel.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • mrb123

There's a special place in hell reserved for such people along with the fly tippers.
  • pinno
    Transcript of the above ^ please. I ctrl + it a zillion times but it was all blurred.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Join Spotted Darley Abbey on Facebook if you want all 93 comments but it's some lad about 21 years old who deliberately swerved to run over a hedgehog. He denies it but a couple of witnesses say they are 100% certain he did mean it. I found it more disturbing than I thought I would - I just can't imagine anyone seeing a hedgehog and thinking wouldn't it be fun to run it over. My kids were at school with the guy reckon he is the type.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • nibnob21
    nibnob21 Posts: 207
    Surprised there was even a hedgehog there. Quite built up with the busy A6 running past. Can't understand why you would want to deliberately hurt one :(

Used to see hedgehogs every now and then at our old house but not so much these days now we're in more of a built up residential area, which is a shame.

Where I grew up in the middle of nowhere we found a young one alone and playing with death in the road. Ended up taking it home where we raised it and gradually introduced it back to the wild. Conker was its name. Loved that little guy/girl.
  • pinno
    'Conker'. Now that's a proper name for a hedgehog.
  • pinno

Join Spotted Darley Abbey on Facebook if you want all 93 comments but it's some lad about 21 years old who deliberately swerved to run over a hedgehog. He denies it but a couple of witnesses say they are 100% certain he did mean it. I found it more disturbing than I thought I would - I just can't imagine anyone seeing a hedgehog and thinking wouldn't it be fun to run it over. My kids were at school with the guy reckon he is the type.

Oh, I know of local boy racers who target cats. In fact, anything alive - it's like badges to them. Be sure if one of the c*nts run over my cat, he'll have his car torched. I know most of them.
    They think I am one of them and I am a friend 'cos I drive a Porsche.
  • When I was about 6, I was in the park with my Mum. Nearby a group of slightly older boys, perhaps eight years old, had found a hedgehog. As we watched one of them drop kicked it, goalkeeper style. My Mum shot across and gave him a piece of her mind, she was furious.

I don't know what happened to the hedgehog, but I'd guess it was all right, because I'd have remembered if it wasn't, but we'd see the lad in question from time to time over the years. He always said hello to my Mum whenever he saw her, and as far as I know he grew up to live a blameless life. Maybe that day had something to do with that.
  • mrb123

• mrb123 said:

Hedgehogs play laser quest? Didn't know that!

• mrb123
    Snow here last night. The poor little fella might be wishing he'd stayed asleep.
  • mrb123
    Eventful times in the back garden at present...

We now seem to have two hedgehogs attending nightly. As far as we can tell there is our usual visitor and a slightly smaller one.

They don't seem to be getting on particularly well. The bigger one spends a lot of time hissing at the other and constantly going right up to it and then backing off, while seemingly puffing himself up as much as possible. The little one doesn't seem to phased by it though.

The bonus for us is that they seem to be in competition to get in as early as possible for first dibs on the food so we're getting some good viewing of all the aggro in relative daylight.
  • mrb123

Little 'un in the feeding box last night...
  • pinno
    edited July 2021
    Getting fat - good.
    I do hope they frequent the 3 x Hedgehog accommodation facility I built them next winter.
    Maybe it's something to do with the heat wave but i've noticed a lot of roadkill lately.
  • mrb123
    pinno said:

Getting fat - good.
    I do hope they frequent the 3 x Hedgehog accommodation facility I built them.
    Maybe it's something to do with the heat wave but i've noticed a lot of roadkill lately.

Yeah, seeing fresh road deaths every day on my route out of town during my early morning rides.

Suppose on the one hand it's suggestive that there is a good population round these parts.

Thankfully our regular garden visitors over the last few years seem to be able to keep themselves away from the busy roads. We live in a cul-de-sac of houses with big gardens so hopefully there's enough for them to go at without having to stray too far away.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    Saw a squashed one a few days ago, first time in a long time.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    The next door neighbour had one in his garden which he fed everyday. When he went on holiday, he asked me to go around and put food out for it.

I think it might have been on the day they were back that I told him I'd seen a flat one on the road nearby, and I'm afraid that might have been 'his' because he was absent from then on.

As Pross says, it's unusual to see a squashed one these days, but the 2D variety were a very common sight when I was a kid

The older I get, the better I was.

• mrb123