124»

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,340
    Well done anyway.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,616

New accommodation for the back garden...
  • mrb123
    katani said:

Found yesterday in the morning curled up and not moving in the middle of a football ground. Looked like a 6-8 week old one. Severly underweight. Taken immediately to a local rescue. They updated me later in the day that it is a girl and is still struggling with de-hydration. Hope it survives.

In the Inov8 box I see! Don't you know it's North Face who make Hedgehogs!
  • katani
    katani Posts: 133
    A photo update emailed to me by the carer this afternoon. Get well soon!

• pinno
    Poor little scrap.
  • pinno
    mrb123 said:

New accommodation for the back garden...

I built 3 'homes' last winter. Not as fancy as that though.
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566
    Fair play to you all with rescue attempts and shelter building.

If you recall though some time back on here Frank Wilson said that the hedgehogs he had seen in his back garden were gay hedgehogs who were making out in a gay manner.

Obviously if there is an increase in gay hedgehogs there will be no offspring and this could end up contributing to their decline.

This is a major concern.
  • mrb123
    First hog of the season spotted last night! Definitely earlier than last year.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,682
    And just encountered my first piggy of the year. Popped out to the garage and what's this static? Oh hello. I know you can see me, I can see you too. Time to get the piggy food sorted.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,534
    Just had one walk across the road in front of me. Managed to just about swerve it without hitting the kerb and luckily nothing behind me as they wouldn't have avoided it. No sign of it on the way back so it must have completed its crossing safely.
  • orraloon
    1845 on 22nd June, so not dark, at all. Hedgepig busy strolling about the garden. Walked to within a metre of it before she/he/it stopped and started the protective huddle. Strange to see one out in full daylight. Put down some food pellets for it by the hedge, and it promptly headed off the other way.
  • mrb123
    orraloon said:

1845 on 22nd June, so not dark, at all. Hedgepig busy strolling about the garden. Walked to within a metre of it before she/he/it stopped and started the protective huddle. Strange to see one out in full daylight. Put down some food pellets for it by the hedge, and it promptly headed off the other way.

I understand that at this time of year, mothers with young are far more likely to be out in the daytime as they have a greater demand for food and less hours of darkness.
  • orraloon
    mrb123 said:

orraloon said:

I understand that at this time of year, mothers with young are far more likely to be out in the daytime as they have a greater demand for food and less hours of darkness.
    Indeed. Hope she finds those pellets and joins a routine of me putting out feed and water. Where I have been past 2 years the pellets went every night.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    I saw my first hedgehog in about 15 years.

I had not realised how fast they can scurry
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,741
    I read a post on Facebook that a lot of hedgehogs have difficulty finding water in this weather - apparently they've had a number come in with dehydration.

Worth putting a low sided container of water out - even if you don't have hedgehogs it'll benefit birds and other animals.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • mrb123

I read a post on Facebook that a lot of hedgehogs have difficulty finding water in this weather - apparently they've had a number come in with dehydration.

Worth putting a low sided container of water out - even if you don't have hedgehogs it'll benefit birds and other animals.

Yeah, we have a bowl of water next to the food bowl. The hog spends almost as much time drinking as eating.

The food we put out is little dry cat biscuits so probably doesn't much provide as much water as their general diet.
  • orraloon
    Just went down to the hedge line to put out piggy food and water, and while bending down to do so, rustle rustle and there's Mrs Spike within touching distance. Was she saying "You're late"? Lovely.
  • mrb123
    First sighting of the year this evening. The hogs must be coming out in time for the Spring classics!