Piers Morgan

13»

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589

MattFalle said:

Thing is though, he'll be back and all this will be forgotten.

Its the same as Eric Clapton - his past has been quite happily forgotten....

Morgan has done this in the past but ratings and money matter more than morals....

I don't know, wasn't he very vociferous about gun control in America whilst he worked there. I would say his morals were in the right place to take that on, knowing the opposition he would face.
    He had an uncanny knack that, even when he was saying something I agreed with, turning me in favour of the person I disagreed with (gun control was the one exception to this as the person he would be arguing against would invariably be even more moronic). His MO seems to be get two guests with opposing views, let the one you agree with have their say and then join them in, literally, shouting down the other voice. I could never understand anyone agreeing to be interviewed by him but then on the ocassions people did refuse to "face" him he would denounce them as a coward.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805

Lol was he hounded out?

I don't get this idea that because you hold an unpopular opinion you're not allowed to be told that it's a terrible opinion. If you want to do that on a platform that allows thousands of people to tell you its a terrible opinion, that's your choice.

That's no different to not being allowed to say something for fear of offence.

The "hounded out" was reference to Winton Marshall.
    I'd suggested that being threatened by the mafia for saying you like a book is even more than "hounded out".
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,203
    Pross said:

MattFalle said:

Thing is though, he'll be back and all this will be forgotten.

Its the same as Eric Clapton - his past has been quite happily forgotten....

Morgan has done this in the past but ratings and money matter more than morals....

I don't know, wasn't he very vociferous about gun control in America whilst he worked there. I would say his morals were in the right place to take that on, knowing the opposition he would face.
    He had an uncanny knack that, even when he was saying something I agreed with, turning me in favour of the person I disagreed with (gun control was the one exception to this as the person he would be arguing against would invariably be even more moronic). His MO seems to be get two guests with opposing views, let the one you agree with have their say and then join them in, literally, shouting down the other voice. I could never understand anyone agreeing to be interviewed by him but then on the ocassions people did refuse to "face" him he would denounce them as a coward.
    Yes. That's fair.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674

Lol was he hounded out?

I don't get this idea that because you hold an unpopular opinion you're not allowed to be told that it's a terrible opinion. If you want to do that on a platform that allows thousands of people to tell you its a terrible opinion, that's your choice.

There's a difference between being told that you have a terrible opinion and having a baying mob causing a craven employer to force you to apologise or else lose your job.

Perhaps in a way the po-mo crowd are right about everything being a power dynamic - and the activists have found a way to exert power.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,699

Lol was he hounded out?

There's a difference between being told that you have a terrible opinion and having a baying mob causing a craven employer to force you to apologise or else lose your job.

Perhaps in a way the po-mo crowd are right about everything being a power dynamic - and the activists have found a way to exert power.
    They might be onto something, yes. I suspect that a lot of the harrumphing about cancel culture is from people unaccustomed to direct challenge.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738

Lol was he hounded out?

You get what I mean about a job though, right? There's plenty of things you are allowed to do in general that you can't do in a job and would get you sacked.

In a b2c business then you need to pay attention to what the public think, as that's part of the job, surely?
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,816
    Pross said:

rjsterry said:

You could change it to just 'Piers'. This is the Prince of Wales pier, built in the early 1900s it now serves as a boat launch to ferries across the bay and up the River Fal.

I can go one better: a pier in (Gla)morgan.

That is quite a nice pier actually.
    Penarth. RJS beat me to posting it, a fine example.
    Ours are currently in residence right by it, while their home gets sorted out.
    #friendswithswankyplaces
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Since this is sort of about TV.

BBC becomes a bit more like a state broadcaster.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,270

Since this is sort of about TV.

BBC becomes a bit more like a state broadcaster.
    I posted in the irony thread - this means Geoff Norcott losing one of his regular slots on TV.

• Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,925
    I would imagine that if its as popular as that thread suggests, it'll get picked up by another channel.

Cancelling outright, rather than just trying to find some funny right wing stuff does seem an odd thing to do, given how much concern they apparently have around cancel culture.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I thought it was a bit shit, but to cancel it?

The Frankie Boyle show was probably more lefty than the Mash Report
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    It'll be poor viewing figures that has done for it.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313

You could change it to just 'Piers'. This is the Prince of Wales pier, built in the early 1900s it now serves as a boat launch to ferries across the bay and up the River Fal.

many Piers go up in flames.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,519
    Wait until Piers lands himself on GB News, that'll be a political brainflame that'll be a thrill to watch.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,620

Oh no, that's just making it worse...
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

Wait until Piers lands himself on GB News, that'll be a political brainflame that'll be a thrill to watch.

it'll be lapped up in britain tbh.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674

Lol was he hounded out?

You get what I mean about a job though, right? There's plenty of things you are allowed to do in general that you can't do in a job and would get you sacked.

In a b2c business then you need to pay attention to what the public think, as that's part of the job, surely?
    Maybe you do. Perhaps, for example, record companies need to include lists of books you're not allowed to read in every banjo player's contract.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028

Lol was he hounded out?

Maybe you do. Perhaps, for example, record companies need to include lists of books you're not allowed to read in every banjo player's contract.
    I don't think it's the 'reading' of the books that is the problem. Mein Kampf and Das Kapital used to be (maybe still are) required reading on RMA officer cadet courses.

Agreeing with them is the problem - not reading them. Reading them is good.

• rjsterry
    Sorry, I've missed which banjo player we're talking about. Or are we not allowed to say.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,270
    Some bloke from Mumford and Sons. He said he liked a book and that the writer was brave for writing it, lots of people decided the book was problematic (I assume without reading it) and he left the band.

I don't know anything about the writer other than the book was about Antifa and BLM. I don't know anything about Mumford and Sons except those two catchy songs.
  • rjsterry
    Oh, yes, I dimly remember reading something about him.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • MattFalle

Some bloke from Mumford and Sons. He said he liked a book and that the writer was brave for writing it, lots of people decided the book was problematic (I assume without reading it) and he left the band.

I don't know anything about the writer other than the book was about Antifa and BLM. I don't know anything about Mumford and Sons except those two catchy songs.

oh they wereshit anyway, so its no great loss tbh.

bit like that recent sea shanty rubbish.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    MattFalle said:

Wonder if it has dawned on him yet that it was silly to give up the day job?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Aren't Mumford & Sons a westcountry removals firm..?
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,932

Ours are currently in residence right by it, while their home gets sorted out.
    #friendswithswankyplaces

What does "withs" mean ;)

• MattFalle
    pblakeney said:

MattFalle said:

Wonder if it has dawned on him yet that it was silly to give up the day job?
    Any links or further info - I must admit that I didn't follow the shanty saga too close.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    I don't get the impression an experienced postie will struggle to find work again.

Take a year off and make as much hard cash out of the internet giants as you can. Seems fair to me.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Piers vs Brett Lee. I'm sure Piers is suffering ongoing ptsd.