Piers Morgan

Comments

• david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    webboo said:

So you say you don’t believe what someone is saying. Implying they are not telling the truth therefore they are lying. I think you are splitting hairs.

nonsense, don't be so simplistic. I know you're capable of more.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    With you superior command of English show me where my assumption is wrong.
  • david37
    webboo said:

Your, and no, I'm not your teacher.
  • pinkbikini
    pinkbikini Posts: 876
    edited March 2021
    david37 said:

secretsam said:

shortfall said:

Going forward they will need to work out if they really care about mental health or ratings.

I'm not sure it's a choice, but if it is, then my vote is for Mental Health to take priority. Saying someone's lying about their health is...unpleasant.
    he didn't say they were lying, he said he didn't believe them. There's a world of difference.
    That’s a phrasing difference, not a world of difference.

Edit: unless the world you live in is really, really tiny.
  • david37

david37 said:

secretsam said:

shortfall said:

Going forward they will need to work out if they really care about mental health or ratings.

I'm not sure it's a choice, but if it is, then my vote is for Mental Health to take priority. Saying someone's lying about their health is...unpleasant.
    he didn't say they were lying, he said he didn't believe them. There's a world of difference.
    That’s a phrasing difference, not a world of difference.

Edit: unless the world you live in is really, really tiny.
    Well the world is a small place these days. Phrasing is important, especially when it changes the meaning.
  • webboo
    david37 said:

webboo said:

Weasel words.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,607
    Boring. Burn the gammon.
  • david37
    webboo said:

david37 said:

webboo said:

Weasel words.
    try thinking for yourself
  • webboo
    Well I know what I think you are. Is that what you mean.
  • david37
    webboo said:

Well I know what I think you are. Is that what you mean.

well possibly, why don't you share sweetie
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,123
    Very appropriate for the piers Morgan thread all this.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    I'm really wishing I could delete this thread now

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    secretsam said:

Cancel culture in action.

#snowflake
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,193

You could change it to just 'Piers'. This is the Prince of Wales pier, built in the early 1900s it now serves as a boat launch to ferries across the bay and up the River Fal.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    elbowloh said:

secretsam said:

Cancel culture in action.

#snowflake
    :p

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    secretsam said:

Try flouncing out.
  • kingstongraham
    morstar said:

secretsam said:

Try flouncing out.
    That only has value if you first put in the work to be the loudmouth arsehole centre of attention.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,483

You could change it to just 'Piers'. This is the Prince of Wales pier, built in the early 1900s it now serves as a boat launch to ferries across the bay and up the River Fal.

I can go one better: a pier in (Gla)morgan.

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • kingstongraham
    I think the examples of cancel culture that people use are the problem.

The loudmouth host who literally stormed off set being told by his boss to calm it down a bit and acknowledge (again) he'd gone too far isn't cancel culture. He's out of control and they now decided that wasn't what they wanted at breakfast time.

A banjo player being hounded out of his band because he said he liked a book. That sounds more of a problem.

Not everything is the same.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,217
    Lol was he hounded out?

I don't get this idea that because you hold an unpopular opinion you're not allowed to be told that it's a terrible opinion. If you want to do that on a platform that allows thousands of people to tell you its a terrible opinion, that's your choice.

That's no different to not being allowed to say something for fear of offence.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Thing is though, he'll be back and all this will be forgotten.

Its the same as Eric Clapton - his past has been quite happily forgotten....

Morgan has done this in the past but ratings and money matter more than morals....
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • kingstongraham
    Did I say that people shouldn't have been able to disagree with him or say forcefully that he's wrong?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,217

Did I say that people shouldn't have been able to disagree with him or say forcefully that he's wrong?

No you didn't but I felt it was inferred from the 'hounded out' comment.

If I became even more obnoxious and you all hounded me out of the forum, I might complain loudly to no-one as no-one would care, but ultimately i'm not going to declare I am being censored or cancelled.

I was clearly obnoxious and even if I think I'm right, presumably the delivery was not appropriate.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    edited March 2021

Lol was he hounded out?

I don't get this idea that because you hold an unpopular opinion you're not allowed to be told that it's a terrible opinion. If you want to do that on a platform that allows thousands of people to tell you its a terrible opinion, that's your choice.

That's no different to not being allowed to say something for fear of offence.

Indeed. You can voice your unpopular/controversial opinions, but then other people are allowed to call you out on it.

However, let's face it, the only reason your spouting that opinion in the first place is for clicks/views/ratings
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • focuszing723
    MattFalle said:

Morgan has done this in the past but ratings and money matter more than morals....

I don't know, wasn't he very vociferous about gun control in America whilst he worked there. I would say his morals were in the right place to take that on, knowing the opposition he would face.
  • focuszing723
    rjsterry said:

That is quite a nice pier actually.
  • kingstongraham

No you didn't but I felt it was inferred from the 'hounded out' comment.

If I became even more obnoxious and you all hounded me out of the forum, I might complain loudly to no-one as no-one would care, but ultimately i'm not going to declare I am being censored or cancelled.

I was clearly obnoxious and even if I think I'm right, presumably the delivery was not appropriate.
    As far as I know, he hasn't been suspended from twitter, he hasn't claimed to have been cancelled, but has said he's taking a break from his banjoing because of the hurt he's caused.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207

rjsterry said:

That is quite a nice pier actually.
    Penarth. RJS beat me to posting it, a fine example.
  • kingstongraham

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

MattFalle said:

I don't know, wasn't he very vociferous about gun control in America whilst he worked there. I would say his morals were in the right place to take that on, knowing the opposition he would face.
    I would say that was just because he is a Brit and, being a total arshol like him or not, US gun laws are bemusing to anyone so it wasn't a moral stance it was just him expressing natural bemusement at something that is totally and utterly crazy.

everything else he has done in his life shows that he is a total lizard with no morals just obsessed with being the centre of attention and not caring a fig about anyone in the pursuit of money and self aggrandisement.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.