Upgrade frame, wheels or sell and buy a new bike?

Hello,
Hope everyone is doing well and staying safe in these tough conditions. I am reaching out to this forum to help make a decision on whether to upgrade my existing bike parts or sell and buy a proper roadie. I bought this Merlin Ultegra ROC in Aug'19 for commute and weekend rides around London. Thanks to the pandemic, rides are now limited to explore the neighborhood for daily workouts during when I realized it's weight in several rides. The bike weighs close to 11kg (thanks to it's heavy wheels and Aluminium frame) and I keep wondering if I should swap the wheels and frame to lighter, carbon ones or sell and buy a new one? I don't intend to use the bike on any trails and will be limiting to road usage. However, I mainly went for this bike due to the Hydraulic brakes and Ultegra derailers which I'd like to retain (whether upgrading or on the new bike).

PS: Unfortunately, I'm constrained to have just 1 bike at home due to several reasons. :neutral:

Ta.

Comments

• singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,500
    If you are riding around our local neighbourhood in order to get fit and enjoy the ride, then your current bike looks perfect.

What would you hope to improve by changing it? More comfort? More speed?
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    its a tank with brakes you don't need and a meh groupset.

sell it and buy something lighter with rim brakes and 105.

an ali frame is fine, its the overall weight of the thing thats letting you down.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • You could get a pair of ~1500g disc wheels for ~£400.

You could get a carbon seat post for ~£70 https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/SPSEDEHM/selcof-delta-hm-carbon-seat-post

Maybe carbon bars for ~£150.

A pair of nice tyres such as GP5000s for ~£75 https://www.merlincycles.com/continental-gp5000-folding-tyres-with-2-free-inner-tubes-pair-129803.html

etc. that will reduce weight and improve the ride quality.

Bike prices have gone through the roof in the last year and stock availability is sketchy. Sub ~£1200 hydraulic brake road/gravel bikes are very few and far between since January.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • MattFalle
    he doesn't need a gravel bike - he's cutting around London

He doen't need discs - he's cutting around London

He doesn't need Ultegra - its meh and pushes up the price of the bike

Nice light 105/Rival job, ali frame, rim brakes, carbon fork. Spend the balance on seat post, some of those carbon 'bars (?Token) from the Primavera thread, light tyres, Kyseriums.

8kg easy.

Planet X?
  • A big issue at present will be actually finding a bike to upgrade to. You’d probably be best advised to go for lighter wheels and better tyres, and some Carbon finishing kit, on your current bike ( which is really not bad ).
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    edited February 2021
    MattFalle said:

Nice light 105/Rival job, ali frame, rim brakes, carbon fork. Spend the balance on seat post, some of those carbon 'bars (?Token) from the Primavera thread, light tyres, Kyseriums.

8kg easy.

Planet X?

There are few better scenarios for wanting discs than a riding in a busy city where people and cars routinely step/drive in front of you without looking or giving a funk. Add rain and my god, you are very, very wrong 😊

I’d say the best option is lightweight wheels and tyres, could knock a fair few grams with that alone. Maybe some other bits if you really want. Surprised you can get an Ultegra road bike that weighs that much tbh, most would be nearer 9-10kg even with an aluminium frame and discs.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    If it is just commutes and weekend rides around London, I wouldn't bother spending any more money to upgrade, just ride it man!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

8kg easy.

Planet X?

There are few better scenarios for wanting discs than a riding in a busy city where people and cars routinely step/drive in front of you without looking or giving a funk. Add rain and my god, you are very, very wrong 😊

I’d say the best option is lightweight wheels and tyres, could knock a fair few grams with that alone. Maybe some other bits if you really want. Surprised you can get an Ultegra road bike that weighs that much tbh, most would be nearer 9-10kg even with an aluminium frame and discs.
    seriously?

well set up rims are fine.

its sounds like those who end up doing random schizzle needing random braking manouevres to need some anticipation training.

and ali rims are fine in the rain or has everyone swallowed the marketing that far?
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566
    You could shed some weight by cutting your arm off.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    I think MF is missing that the OP already has disc brakes and a decent group set.

Certainly a few lighter bits and bobs will help make the bike feel a bit zippier, but the actual speed won't measurably change.

It is actually rather a nice bike already. Will never be 8kg, but could be closer to 9 quite easily.

Keep it, and upgrade the wheels and other bits as suggested.
  • MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

8kg easy.

Planet X?

seriously?

its sounds like those who end up doing random schizzle needing random braking manouevres to need some anticipation training.

and ali rims are fine in the rain or has everyone swallowed the marketing that far?
    Those of us who walk the walk speak from experience rather than troll hunt fans all day.

Rim brakes can be fine. Use them over a wet winter and they are very much less fine. Use them over a wet winter with nutcase drivers and peds and they are noticeably worse than that. I’ve done it over a number of years and survived but you know what? After going disc I wouldn’t go back unless I had no choice. Rim brakes are ok for other scenarios but not the best for this.

Btw a clubbie told me he beat you in a sprint riding a bike with Ultegra and hunt wheels - is this true?!?
  • MattFalle

I think MF is missing that the OP already has disc brakes and a decent group set.

one of those two statements is correct.
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

8kg easy.

Planet X?

seriously?

Those of us who walk the walk speak from experience rather than troll hunt fans all day.

Rim brakes can be fine. Use them over a wet winter and they are very much less fine. Use them over a wet winter with nutcase drivers and peds and they are noticeably worse than that. I’ve done it over a number of years and survived but you know what? After going disc I wouldn’t go back unless I had no choice. Rim brakes are ok for other scenarios but not the best for this.

Btw a clubbie told me he beat you in a sprint riding a bike with Ultegra and hunt wheels - is this true?!?
    nah. nowt wrong with rim brakes unless you have swallowed the disc hype and opened your wallet already.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    Rim and disc are both fine - my good bike (was my road race bike now used for dry road blasts) has rim brakes and I feel no need to change. My all weather / commuter ride has cable-operated discs and I'd not revert to rims for that usage. Less grief overall (wrt rim wear and regularly having to pick bits of grit and metal particles out of the pads - a chore I'm happy to leave in the past). Reliable braking when roads are streaming wet or snowy even. Any weight or aero penalties are irrelevant on that bike. Maintenance is pretty simple with an occasional tweak of the adjusters the main task, pads (Shimano calipers) are cheap and easy to replace. Disc frame also means 28 - 32 tyres fit without issues meaning comfort over my older commuter bikes is improved too.
  • MattFalle
    bizarrely i manage to ride my rim brake bikes in all conditions without randomnly crashing into cars, people, buildings, street furniture, etc or destroying wheels every two minutes

• jpj84
    jpj84 Posts: 51
    edited February 2021
    I may be wrong, but I think the bike has qr wheels, with 135mm spacing at the rear. This is becoming rare nowadays, and is likely to make your upgrade path a bit trickier - for either wheels or frame.
    OTOH, I'd actually quite like an alloy disc qr frame, to replace my 3 ton winter bike - I suggest you donate it to me op 👍
  • First.Aspect
    MattFalle said:

bizarrely i manage to ride my rim brake bikes in all conditions without randomnly crashing into cars, people, buildings, street furniture, etc or destroying wheels every two minutes

Just because it is possible doesn't preclude there being a better alternative.

I mean, do you really need all those gears MF, or could you just flip the back wheel around to the smaller cog for climbing?

OP has already splashed the cash and he won't find a frame that makes much difference either way without things getting spendy, or ending up with heavy components and duplicating the problem he already has.

So as much as I prefer the look and simplicity of rim brakes, were it me I'd just get some better wheels and tyres for the bike I already have.
  • MattFalle
    O also think its a pertinent junction with which to state that it does seem that a lot of people have swallowed the disc hyperbole in a vain effort to excuse the fact that they have forgotten basic bicycle maintenance.

aksiums and kyseriums used to last me years and thousands of miles of wnter commutes and training by the simple act of getting home, putting bike against garage wall and washing them down with the garden hose.

30 seconds per wheel, job jobbed. Call it a minute if you decided to do the mechs and drivetrain as well.

no heavy ugly disc wheels and brakes needed, no wearing rims out in 4 minutes, no clubbie clothing.

Lighter, faster, cooler.

Job jobbed, innit.
  • First.Aspect
    I managed for 30 odd years as well. But for commuting, if you can't be bothered doing anything other than fall asleep when you get home, discs are better.

For absolutely anything else whatsoever, they are a disimprovement, I agree.
  • MattFalle
    it just seems a shame that for the sake of 30 seconds with a hose people are willing to spend more, dump old wheels that have nothing wrong with them, forego style, function, form, ease of servicing, lightness, the environment, ease of use, less expense ove a period of time.

but at least they have discs, eh...
  • darrell1967
    darrell1967 Posts: 470
    edited February 2021
    Last Autumn I put together a commuter for my 18km each way ride into central London.

I used the following parts, nearly all used from eBay.
    Dolan L‘Etape frame with Alpina seat post.
    Full Tiagra groupset with rim brakes
    Specialized bars and saddle (from my stash)
    S Works stem (from my stash)
    Giant wheels (from my stash)
    Gatorskins and cheapie tubes
    Deda bar tape
    Some cables
    Cheapie bottle holders
    Shimano M520 pedals
    Garmin out front bracket

I think the whole bike cost around a monkey and it’s a comfy as an old pair of slippers. It goes very well and I’m extremely happy with it.
  • First.Aspect
    MattFalle said:

it just seems a shame that for the sake of 30 seconds with a hose people are willing to spend more, dump old wheels that have nothing wrong with them, forego style, function, form, ease of servicing, lightness, the environment, ease of use, less expense ove a period of time.

but at least they have discs, eh...

Erm I think the OP got into cycling only recently.

If it is any consolation, I've run discs on a commuter since 2010 and I've gone from mechanical ones, under stem converters and now hydraulics.

When I dropped £ahem on a forever bike in 2015 I went di2, cos it's great, and rim brakes. Mavic SSCs if you are interested. (Bootiful, glad I hung on to them.)

There is nothing as satisfying as the initial haptic feedback when a mechanical rim brake engages, and only someone with leprosy can fail to learn how to modulate them.

I do have a disc road bike as well, because that's what was on gumtree. And I find that the overwhelming hassle of doing anything other than changing the pads induces me to put up with much worse braking setup than o have ever tolerated on a rim brakes bike.

You are not alone MF, and the rim brake underworld will again survive and thrive.
  • piker2
    piker2 Posts: 50
    sreeramkumars, The weight of your bike does not seem right. Remember manufactures weights are usually a bit optimistic and don't include pedals and anything else that can be removed. The manufactures quoted weight and the actual ready to ride weights will be very different.
    To me there does not look much wrong with your bike for its intended use.
    Ignore MF.

• If my quick Google was looking at a similar wheelset on a Boardman, the supplied Mavic 319 wheels might be as heavy as ~2.4Kg.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    MattFalle said:

So do most people but that doesn't mean there isn't an alternative that may or may not be better depending on your point of view.

Yes discs may be heavier, less aesthetically pleasing, slightly more fiddly when you need to do some maintenance etc etc etc but whether you like them or not there is no doubt whatsoever that the stopping power & modulation of discs is better than rims particularly in the wet.

As you like to do I will pass that snippet of my opinion off as fact.
  • MattFalle
    "modulation"

nice

#deepthroatthehyperbole
  • MattFalle
    Also thats not really what Chris Froome says and I suspect he, much like I, know and have experienced a bit more than you.
  • ibr17xvii
    MattFalle said:

Also thats not really what Chris Froome says and I suspect he, much like I, know and have experienced a bit more than you.

Undoubtedly so (although I still can't believe you admit someone knows more than you) but I also suspect CF hasn't ridden them much in the wet training in Southern California over the winter.

Alex Dowsett also says the Factor is the best bike he's ever ridden so who's right?
  • ibr17xvii
    MattFalle said:

"modulation"

nice

#deepthroatthehyperbole

Correct. Modulation. Look it up in the dictionary if you're struggling to understand.

You'll find it a few pages along from Hunt - & that's not a euphemism.

Look that up as well whilst you're at it.
  • MattFalle
    ibr17xvii said:

MattFalle said:

"modulation"

nice

#deepthroatthehyperbole

Correct. Modulation. Look it up in the dictionary if you're struggling to understand.

You'll find it a few pages along from Hunt - & that's not a euphemism.

Look that up as well whilst you're at it.
    "modulation"

brilliant.