Lower back niggles - indoor training vs. outdoor?

For years I've had (usually) relatively mild lower back issues that are sufficiently intermittent not to be a massive problem - it'll be fine most of the time, then now and again I'll get a period of two or three weeks when it's a problem, but not enough to keep me off the bike, just to make my life a little uncomfortable when off it.. A physio once suggested a muscle imbalance (seems I'm too quad dominant in my posture and need to activate glutes more..) and now and again I'll do exercises that I'm never convinced do very much.

Anyway, it so happens that it's been bothering me for the past 2 or 3 weeks. I'd basically not been outside on the bike all year due to a combination of weather, work during the week and being busy at weekends but had been doing regular zwift sessions (usually quite high intensity stuff - FTP, VO2 max). Then yesterday I went out for 50 miles - and - low and behold - my back feels fine this morning!

Is there something about cycling (real outdoors cycling) that causes adaptations that mean you need to keep cycling to avoid issues? Or is there something particularly taxing about indoor cycling that needs activation of muscles by outdoor cycling to correct..? Or what?

Comments

• mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    My lower back issues seem to come from tight quads/tight hamstrings, initially thought it was the ITB but regular thigh stretching relieves the issue completely. Repeated exercise always makes everything feel better but if i dont do the stretches I eventually pay big time and end up having to have a complete break.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    I found zwift tough on my back at times, not sure why.
    I think when you're outside you move around more to balance and change position more often which helps.
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    I think the wind lifts your bodyweight off your arms/core when on the road.
    On the turbo I prop the front up to compensate but the rollers are killing my arms being that they sit flat.