"Comedies" you don't find funny

13»

Comments

• secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098

Anything with Miranda Hart in it.

All "made for women" comedy.
    To be fair, comedy aimed at men can be unfunny to many women, I imagine.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • secretsam
    elbowloh said:

I think someone has to be honest about this.

Red Dwarf.

Okay premise, milked to death. Something you felt like you ought to find more hilarious than it ever was.

I still like it and the most recent series on Dave was really very good.
    That's interesting, I wondered about watching the "new" ones. After about series 5, it went downhill, the whole Kochanski plot was rubbish.

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Did I mention that James Corden is a bell end?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • capt_slog said:

The Office. Never got it, couldn't see the point in just feeling embarrassed for someone most of the time.

Shooting Stars. Silly repeated 'in' jokes that weren't even funny the first time, let alone every week. Not that I watched it every week, but every time i caught a bit of it, I saw exactly the same. If Vic Reeves was half as funny as he thought he was, he'd be twice as funny as he actually is.

Task Master. I watched half of one on a friends recommendation, nope.

Let me know what other silly things you dislike - all those are great shows, so want more recommendations.

"True or False? Lynn Faulds Wood".
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    secretsam said:

elbowloh said:

I think someone has to be honest about this.

Red Dwarf.

Okay premise, milked to death. Something you felt like you ought to find more hilarious than it ever was.

I still like it and the most recent series on Dave was really very good.
    That's interesting, I wondered about watching the "new" ones. After about series 5, it went downhill, the whole Kochanski plot was rubbish.
    Agreed and evene the most ardent fans say those series were awful. Series 10 on it gets back to its best.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh

capt_slog said:

The Office. Never got it, couldn't see the point in just feeling embarrassed for someone most of the time.

Shooting Stars. Silly repeated 'in' jokes that weren't even funny the first time, let alone every week. Not that I watched it every week, but every time i caught a bit of it, I saw exactly the same. If Vic Reeves was half as funny as he thought he was, he'd be twice as funny as he actually is.

Task Master. I watched half of one on a friends recommendation, nope.

Let me know what other silly things you dislike - all those are great shows, so want more recommendations.

"True or False? Lynn Faulds Wood".
    Can you smell onions?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    edited February 2021
    MattFalle said:

johngti said:

Corden as well.

Utter total unfunny uber bell end. Can't stand the mere mention of his name let alone his idiotic stupid face polluting my tv screen.

Total nuclear grade weapon. The human equivalent of Alsager.

Agreed, he thinks he's the Count Of Comedy.

I think he can't spell.

• davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    Agree with a lot of these.

I also can't stand any of Mr Bean. It might be funny if you are 4 years old and have never seen anything funny ever before in your short life, but it winds me up.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,920
    The theme here is that pretty much any comedy can seem awful to someone or other, and it's all very subjective.

Apart from James Corden being unwatchable. That's objective, obvs. His only talents are laughing, karaoke, and reading a script.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,203
    edited February 2021
    People can't be too critical of Corden. He had the guts to take up the offer and host an American chat show and did a good job of it (it wasn't cancelled).

Yep. I never found Mr Bean funny, a poor Clouseau.
  • secretsam

People can't be too critical of Corden. He had the guts to take up the offer and host an American chat show and did a good job of it (it wasn't cancelled)

Shame he didn't stay there

• secretsam said:

People can't be too critical of Corden. He had the guts to take up the offer and host an American chat show and did a good job of it (it wasn't cancelled)

Shame he didn't stay there

It's good he's happy to come back and pay a load of tax with any new venture.
  • secretsam

It's good he's happy to come back and pay a load of tax with any new venture.

The cost of additional Mental Health services required to offset the psychological damage is considerably more

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,576

People can't be too critical of Corden.

Too right, no-one is capable of criticising him as much as he deserves let alone too much.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    As much James Corden gets on my t*ts in most things. I saw him in The Governor one of those live National theatre’s broadcasts and staggeringly he was very good.
  • briantrumpet
    webboo said:

As much James Corden gets on my t*ts in most things. I saw him in The Governor one of those live National theatre’s broadcasts and staggeringly he was very good.

Maybe he's just a very good actor. Just a pity that most of the time he's acting being a really annoying person.
  • webboo said:

Maybe he's just a very good actor. Just a pity that most of the time he's acting being a really annoying person.
    I saw that - if you really don't like him, you'd have hated that too.

I liked that Paul McCartney thing he did - that was super.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    I have to admit to having a soft spot for a League of Their Own too...

Stupid pointless boys banter but scratches a similar itch to Top Gear/Grand Tour when you're not in the mood for TV you have to concentrate on...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    edited February 2021
    Watched the complete series of The Good Life and To The Manor Born recently, and both are incredibly charming (and funny), but then I do have a soft spot for Penelope Keith.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    The absolute tosh known as 'Allo 'Allo.
    Used to work with someone who could recite the dialogue next day but I just didn't find it funny.
    One joke mispronunciation stretched over a few series.
  • briantrumpet

The absolute tosh known as 'Allo 'Allo.
    Used to work with someone who could recite the dialogue next day but I just didn't find it funny.
    One joke mispronunciation stretched over a few series.

I still like Dad's Army, so probably ought to like Allo Allo, but I never got it.

Although the writing on Dads Army does rely on well-worn catchphrases, I think there's something about the warmth of the characters, and their vulnerabilities, that make (for me) the humour very human, and the situation is just a good excuse to throw them all in together.

Remarkably, there are only a couple of lines in the whole series which jar a bit for modern sensibilities. The women aren't downtrodden either. But most of it is just laughing at people like ourselves and our weaknesses and faults.
  • ballysmate
    John Laurie was a renowned Shakespearean actor, often appearing with Larry O and it apparently irked him somewhat that he was always recognised for Pte Frazer.

Cracking show though. As you say, the characters were brilliant.
  • briantrumpet

John Laurie was a renowned Shakespearean actor, often appearing with Larry O and it apparently irked him somewhat that he was always recognised for Pte Frazer.

I've got to like at least a character or two in any type of programme to want to carry on watching, and you end up liking all the characters in Dads Army. Well, apart from Fire Warden Hodges, who's obviously set up as the cartoon villain.

Conversely, I gave up on Mad Men, because I didn't care about one single character, however glossy the production and slick the writing.
  • ballysmate
    I get what you mean re liking the characters. It was the same with Porridge, even the genial Harry Grout.
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    edited February 2021

I've got to like at least a character or two in any type of programme to want to carry on watching, and you end up liking all the characters in Dads Army. Well, apart from Fire Warden Hodges, who's obviously set up as the cartoon villain.

Conversely, I gave up on Mad Men, because I didn't care about one single character, however glossy the production and slick the writing.

I thought Mad Men was great, but I guess I've worked in advertising for 40 odd years so I have a vested interest.
  • briantrumpet

I get what you mean re liking the characters. It was the same with Porridge, even the genial Harry Grout.

Yes, indeed. The characters don't have to be saints to like them. I actually liked most of the characters in The Wire, even the worst ones, as you could see flashes of humanity in nearly every one, and how they'd got sucked into their predicaments, and how they were all victims of a broken society. "Where's Wallace?" was such a powerful line for that very reason.
  • tetley10
    tetley10 Posts: 693

Yes, indeed. The characters don't have to be saints to like them. I actually liked most of the characters in The Wire, even the worst ones, as you could see flashes of humanity in nearly every one, and how they'd got sucked into their predicaments, and how they were all victims of a broken society. "Where's Wallace?" was such a powerful line for that very reason.
    The Wire is the best thing i have seen on the telly.

• elbowloh
    tetley10 said:

First series was great, wasn't as keen in the second.

Best things I've seen in the drama speed are Band of Brothers and The West Wing I think.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,789
    elbowloh said:

tetley10 said:

Best things I've seen in the drama speed are Band of Brothers and The West Wing I think.
    What made BoB was the snippets before and after each episode.
    If they are cut off, or skipped by, then a whole load of context and emotion is missed.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • elbowloh
    pblakeney said:

elbowloh said:

tetley10 said:

What made BoB was the snippets before and after each episode.
    If they are cut off, or skipped by, then a whole load of context and emotion is missed.
    Indeed. I read the book first, so I really wanted to hear their stories.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk