"Comedies" you don't find funny

Comments

• johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    ddraver said:

Proud to say that I never found David Walliams funny.

Now he's been revealed to be...problematic

I can’t stand the man, to the level where if he appears on tv I change the channel. Awful person.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,546
    edited February 2021
    We got a couple of the audiobooks when we did a swap with another family for a bit of a change - they are absolutely awful in just about every way imaginable. I took the CDs out of the car after the first listen.
    Aside from the dubious 'sneering, classist. fatshaming' stuff, they are just incredibly badly written. Also, Walliams was reading them himself and he has a very irritating voice.

The right-on Jack Monroe doesn't like his books.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/showbiz-tv/david-walliams-childrens-books-branded-18562259

But, yeah, Little Britain, not funny.

Beginning the attack, Monroe revealed: "Small Boy completed his D*vid Walli*ms book collection today, so I finally decided to take a read of the latest. (It's important to note here I've not bought a single one.) It's like Little Britain for kids. 37m copies sold? Of this sneering classist fatshaming grim nonsense?."

So mum of the year doesn't take any notice of what her child is reading, let alone not bothering reading with or to them. Does she let people just give stuff to her kids without checking or even looking? But it's ok because she gets her virtue signalling in by making it clear that she didn't buy any.

She may or not have a point about the books, I can't comment as I haven't read any of them. Perhaps others on here have.

• The right-on Jack Monroe doesn't like his books.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/showbiz-tv/david-walliams-childrens-books-branded-18562259

Beginning the attack, Monroe revealed: "Small Boy completed his D*vid Walli*ms book collection today, so I finally decided to take a read of the latest. (It's important to note here I've not bought a single one.) It's like Little Britain for kids. 37m copies sold? Of this sneering classist fatshaming grim nonsense?."

So mum of the year doesn't take any notice of what her child is reading, let alone not bothering reading with or to them. Does she let people just give stuff to her kids without checking or even looking? But it's ok because she gets her virtue signalling in by making it clear that she didn't buy any.

She may or not have a point about the books, I can't comment as I haven't read any of them. Perhaps others on here have.

the world's worst children/parents/teachers are awful but I quite like his other books, I actually think he covers a number of difficult subjects such as divorce, death, dementia and poverty well.

Before the usual pile on starts could I say that if you are looking for a benchmark for racist, elitism, xenophobia and sexism then Enid Blyton is your Nazi Sympathiser complete with SS badges. On the plus side she does have characters called Dick and Fanny
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,923

The right-on Jack Monroe doesn't like his books.

the world's worst children/parents/teachers are awful but I quite like his other books, I actually think he covers a number of difficult subjects such as divorce, death, dementia and poverty well.

Before the usual pile on starts could I say that if you are looking for a benchmark for racist, elitism, xenophobia and sexism then Enid Blyton is your Nazi Sympathiser complete with SS badges. On the plus side she does have characters called censored and Fanny

Watch out, you'll not be able to claim any cultural grants if you go ticking off Enid Blyton - she's part of what makes Britain great.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    What is the evidence Enid Blyton was a nazi sympathiser?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,923
    Maybe SC has got a bit confused:

"The Five inspired the Comic Strip parody Five Go Mad in Dorset and its sequel Five Go Mad on Mescalin, in which the characters express sympathies with Nazi Germany and opposition to the Welfare State, homosexuals, immigrants and Jews, in an extremely broad parody not so much of Blyton but of wider perceived 1950s prejudices."
  • DeVlaeminck
    It's not evidence at all - she was at a dinner where appeasing Hitler was discussed. I've got friends in Antifa who run about with masks in fighting "fascists" and friends who have been on Britain First marches - I'd discuss the ideas with them it doesn't mean I agree with them.
  • Anything with Miranda Hart in it.

All "made for women" comedy.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

Anything with Miranda Hart in it.

All "made for women" comedy.
    I was made to sit through one of the Bridget Jones movies the other night. I said to he wife "why is Bridget Jones so popular, she's just a really annoying character". "It's because you're a man" she said.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Pross said:

Anything with Miranda Hart in it.

Definitely. She's actually far better as a straight actor albeit most of the things she has been in aren't to my taste. She seems to think she is Morecambe and Wise reincarnated and, I believe, says her sitcom is inspired by them which is insulting to Morecambe and Wise. This is pretty bad as unlike most (old) people I don't think Morecambe and Wise were funny either. Hopefully this is a sign that I'm just about young enough to not appreciate them.

I'm really struggling to think of any comedy that has aged well. Only Fools and Horses and Blackadder still work for me but I know the gags too well. Other stuff I found hilarious at the time just isn't amusing anymore including The Young Ones. Very few modern sitcoms are amusing to me, although it is mainly obvious and cliched Not Going Out is about the only thing that raises a chuckle, I do quite like Lee Mack.

I've only seen a few episdoes of Gavin and Stacey mainly as I just cannot stand Corden.
    Miranda Hart was in Not Going Out.
  • elbowloh
    Not Going Out was watchable for Meghan Dodds.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Enid Blyton was not a pleasant person by any means. Nazi's or no...

Have a comedy-you-may-not-find-funny-anymore-podcast about it - https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06zl8q9
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Vicar of Dibley - absolutely pants.
  • elbowloh
    ddraver said:

Have a comedy-you-may-not-find-funny-anymore-podcast about it - https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06zl8q9

You're right, never found Russell Kane funny, nor Russell Howard for that matter.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • ddraver said:

I think the problem was that she was a posho born in the late 1890s so by the time she was writing in the 1940s she was already out of touch.

Frankly the sneery way she talks about poor people is appalling.
  • motogull
    motogull Posts: 325
    Only Fools And Horses was massively overrated to me.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    johngti said:

ddraver said:

I can’t stand the man, to the level where if he appears on tv I change the channel. Awful person.
    Corden as well.

Utter total unfunny uber bell end. Can't stand the mere mention of his name let alone his idiotic stupid face polluting my tv screen.

Total nuclear grade weapon. The human equivalent of Alsager.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

Vicar of Dibley - absolutely pants.

French and Saunders.

Total shyyt.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,688

Detectorists - is it even a comedy ? I may be being unfair calling it unfunny if it's not supposed to be but it's listed as a comedy on Wikipedia. I enjoy watching it but it doesn't make me laugh.

This Country - similar to Detectorists it has all he elements you'd expect from a comedy but it's not actually funny.

I think you have to be from that bit of the world. It does feel very close to home.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    I think someone has to be honest about this.

Red Dwarf.

Okay premise, milked to death. Something you felt like you ought to find more hilarious than it ever was.
  • Donald Trump.
  • I think someone has to be honest about this.

Red Dwarf.

Okay premise, milked to death. Something you felt like you ought to find more hilarious than it ever was.

Agreed. For some reason I remember liking it as a teenager, I rewatched it not so long ago and bloody hell it's completely unfunny.
  • elbowloh

I think someone has to be honest about this.

Red Dwarf.

I still like it and the most recent series on Dave was really very good.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    MattFalle said:

johngti said:

ddraver said:

Corden as well.

Utter total unfunny uber bell end. Can't stand the mere mention of his name let alone his idiotic stupid face polluting my tv screen.

Total nuclear grade weapon. The human equivalent of Alsager.
    Agreed - absolute bellends both of them
  • Red Dwarf
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    The Office. Never got it, couldn't see the point in just feeling embarrassed for someone most of the time.

Shooting Stars. Silly repeated 'in' jokes that weren't even funny the first time, let alone every week. Not that I watched it every week, but every time i caught a bit of it, I saw exactly the same. If Vic Reeves was half as funny as he thought he was, he'd be twice as funny as he actually is.

Task Master. I watched half of one on a friends recommendation, nope.

The older I get, the better I was.

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,588
    James Corden, michael mcintyre, mrs browns boys, citizen khan, david Walliams.

I dislike obvious 'comedy' which to me all of the above are.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • DeVlaeminck
    ddraver said:

Her books are good though. Leaving aside the racism which has quite rightly been expunged from modern editions my kids all really enjoyed them especially my two girls.

Even during her career they attracted criticism that they were not quality literature which I just find complete BS - not many 7 year olds want Dostoevsky read to them.