Forum home Road cycling forum Workshop

Does this chain look saggy to you?

johngtijohngti Posts: 1,534
Title says it. Just sitting admiring my bike and I suddenly thought “you know what, JT, that chain looks a bit saggy!” Look at the top length, easier to see what I mean.

Should I take a link out?


«1

Posts

  • pangolinpangolin Posts: 3,554
    edited 11 February
    Looks like it needs a few links removing. Post a pic with it in large / large maybe.
    Genesis Croix de Fer
    Cube Attain
  • johngtijohngti Posts: 1,534
    Just thought that myself...

    It’s a 28 tooth on the turbo, 32 on the wheel if that makes a difference


  • pangolinpangolin Posts: 3,554
    edited 11 February
    Hmm maybe only 1 or 2 then.

    Is the chain fairly clean / free moving and the derailleur nice and springy (for want of a more technical term)?

    Edit - sorry just read the wheel has 4 more teeth. If it's not causing any issues I'd probably leave it as is in that case.
    Genesis Croix de Fer
    Cube Attain
  • diamonddogdiamonddog Posts: 3,411
    You have just solved the problem. New 32 cassette for turbo job done.
  • MattFalleMattFalle Posts: 4,290
    Yup - too long. And on Ultegra, so double whammy I'm afraid.
  • johngtijohngti Posts: 1,534

    You have just solved the problem. New 32 cassette for turbo job done.

    Or man up and do a 28 for the wheel...
  • johngtijohngti Posts: 1,534
    MattFalle said:

    Yup - too long. And on Ultegra, so double whammy I'm afraid.

    So take a link out maybe?
  • kingstongrahamkingstongraham Posts: 15,974
    Is the smallest cog on both cassettes the same?
  • johngtijohngti Posts: 1,534
    Yep. 11 on both. Never use big-big anyway
  • piker2piker2 Posts: 47
    Leave it as it is. You do not have a problem. You are not going to use small chainring with small rear cogs on the road or the turbo.
  • MattFalleMattFalle Posts: 4,290
    edited 11 February
    johngti said:

    MattFalle said:

    Yup - too long. And on Ultegra, so double whammy I'm afraid.

    So take a link out maybe?
    I'd take a link out and buy a spare quick link so you can swap the chain between the two cassettes - you can run as many quick links as you want.
    Shorter chain 28, longer chain 32.

    Bish bash bosh.

    I did this when swapping between a long cage and short cage mech on the S3 and it works perfect.
  • MattFalleMattFalle Posts: 4,290
    piker2 said:

    Leave it as it is. You do not have a problem. You are not going to use small chainring with small rear cogs on the road or the turbo.

    Why not? he can ride it how he wants.

    or are you going to quote some clubbie cross chaining thing that we all debunk on a regular basis?
  • johngtijohngti Posts: 1,534
    MattFalle said:

    piker2 said:

    Leave it as it is. You do not have a problem. You are not going to use small chainring with small rear cogs on the road or the turbo.

    Why not? he can ride it how he wants.

    or are you going to quote some clubbie cross chaining thing that we all debunk on a regular basis?
    Probably more likely to have small-smallish than big-big I reckon
  • MattFalleMattFalle Posts: 4,290
    No problem at riding it small - small JG. Or big - big come to that. Or any permutation you feel like.
  • johngtijohngti Posts: 1,534
    MattFalle said:

    No problem at riding it small - small JG. Or big - big come to that. Or any permutation you feel like.

    Best thing about Di2 is that I don’t need to think about it! The first picture is a likely combination. Think I’ll pop a link out.
  • pblakeneypblakeney Posts: 15,299
    edited 11 February
    Totally confused.
    Changing the big cog at the back will make zero difference to the slack when you are on a small cog, and it doesn't even look like the smallest cog. 🤔
    Since it looks right big/big I'd be looking at the derailleur rather than chain length unless that derailleur goes flatter still.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • johngtijohngti Posts: 1,534
    pblakeney said:

    Totally confused.
    Changing the big cog at the back will make zero difference to the slack when you are on a small cog, and it doesn't even look like the smallest cog. 🤔
    Since it looks right big/big I'd be looking at the derailleur rather than chain length unless that derailleur goes flatter still.

    Didn’t think of that. B-screw or something else? It’ll go a lot flatter
  • david37david37 Posts: 1,313
    edited 11 February
    I cant see clearly on this pc but it looks like your derailleur cage hasn't sprung far enough back (or as far as it can go.) Is something in the way?

    It would normally be the cage moving back and forward which accommodates the difference in gear size as you move up and down the cassette. Slightly off parallel in small small and all the way forward in big big.

    And sized properly you should be able to use all gears without issue.
  • pblakeneypblakeney Posts: 15,299
    johngti said:

    pblakeney said:

    Totally confused.
    Changing the big cog at the back will make zero difference to the slack when you are on a small cog, and it doesn't even look like the smallest cog. 🤔
    Since it looks right big/big I'd be looking at the derailleur rather than chain length unless that derailleur goes flatter still.

    Didn’t think of that. B-screw or something else? It’ll go a lot flatter
    If it goes flatter then it's time to remove some links and make it so. Check for chain stretch while you are at it, but it wouldn't make that much difference. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • johngtijohngti Posts: 1,534
    The chain is pretty new. There’s definite slack on small/smallish (it won’t go down to 11/34 anyway). What I mean by that is that the derailleur cage has a few mm of free play at the when the chain is on the small cog. Disappears when I shift up a couple of cogs.
  • MattFalleMattFalle Posts: 4,290
    johngti said:

    MattFalle said:

    No problem at riding it small - small JG. Or big - big come to that. Or any permutation you feel like.

    Best thing about Di2 is that I don’t need to think about it! The first picture is a likely combination. Think I’ll pop a link out.
    sweet swet. groovy as gravy J G.
  • pblakeneypblakeney Posts: 15,299
    edited 11 February
    johngti said:

    The chain is pretty new. There’s definite slack on small/smallish (it won’t go down to 11/34 anyway). What I mean by that is that the derailleur cage has a few mm of free play at the when the chain is on the small cog. Disappears when I shift up a couple of cogs.

    You need to fix why it won't go to 34/11. Possibly a few links rather than one.

    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • johngtijohngti Posts: 1,534
    Normally I’d agree but Di2 just won’t shift into that. Bang on refuses - fallen for the cross chaining myth isn’t it. In fact it won’t touch the bottom two cogs.
  • johngtijohngti Posts: 1,534
    I reckon it’s the b-screw. Found this thread on weight weenies:

    https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=149380

    The screw is wound out pretty far on my setup. I’ll try that first.
  • You'll be ok so long as you don't hit a pot hole at speed in small-small..
    IGMC
  • johngtijohngti Posts: 1,534
    So I can adjust the sag out with the b-screw but the top derailleur wheel is blooming miles away from the cogs on the cassette, certainly more than the few mm it should be. Looks like the chain may be too long.
  • MattFalleMattFalle Posts: 4,290
    I'd hazard a guess the chain is too long because its for a 32 tooth cassette and not a 28 JG.
  • MattFalleMattFalle Posts: 4,290
    If anything there is a high chance that it will slap around and take chunks out of your bike.
  • johngtijohngti Posts: 1,534
    MattFalle said:

    I'd hazard a guess the chain is too long because its for a 32 tooth cassette and not a 28 JG.

    Probably. Got a new chain splitter arriving later. I’ll pop a couple of links out.
  • pblakeneypblakeney Posts: 15,299
    Bear in mind to size it properly for the 32 tooth, or have separate chains for the trainer and wheel. A chain the fits a 32/11 cassette will work on a 28/11 but not the other way round.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
Sign In or Register to comment.