Second hand prices

Been thinking of selling one of my bikes so have been watching a few on eBay. In contrast to new prices the second hand market seems to be dropping off in my view. I realise it’s February so demand will be low but I’ve seen 3/4 year old high end DA equipped carbon and Ti bikes go for under a grand recently. Maybe it’s too early in the year to say but perhaps we’ve reached saturation point on bike sales for a while?

Comments

• david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    bmxboy10 said:

Been thinking of selling one of my bikes so have been watching a few on eBay. In contrast to new prices the second hand market seems to be dropping off in my view. I realise it’s February so demand will be low but I’ve seen 3/4 year old high end DA equipped carbon and Ti bikes go for under a grand recently. Maybe it’s too early in the year to say but perhaps we’ve reached saturation point on bike sales for a while?

I beleive HM Customs rates second hand bikes at 25% of purchase price at the one year point. and at 5 years as negligible.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,160
    ^^^^ Total horlicks ^^^^
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    bmxboy10 said:

Is that just people not knowing what they're selling?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    No idea but I guess I’ll be keeping my Supersix DA for a while longer! May just be the time of year.
  • I get the impression a lot of ebay sellers operate on a policy of wishful thinking when it comes to selling bikes and components, particularly high end stuff.

If it's in good condition and under 5 years old, I work on the basis of getting 50-60% of retail back. I usually have no trouble selling stuff at that level, any higher and it tends to go unsold. There does seem to be a fair few sellers who think (hope?) they are going to recover 80% or more of what they paid, which is highly unlikely IMO.

Only stuff that holds it's value is Rapha clothing IME.
  • pblakeney

True. I once sold a used jersey for £5 less than new. The new one would have come with arm warmers, mine didn't and was advertised as such. Some people... 🤣
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • elbowloh

That and vintage steel bike frames. Not just the colnagos and the like either
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • You just need to know how to sell on eBay. Put the time in and it’ll pay off. You’ll get way more for a bike that’s been broken down rather than complete, you need to properly clean everything, take good clear photos and actually sell the stuff in your blurb. Oh and screw buy it now or listing at a high price close to what you want. Start low, it’s an auction site.

I’ve made about seven grand this year in three individual week long sales! Some of the bits I listed at a fiver and ended up selling in the hundreds of pounds.

Oh and the Rapha / eBay ‘good times’ died out several years ago. It became bloated by folk trying to ride the original wave with stuff they bought from seasonal sales and the archives.
  • pblakeney
    I caught the wave at it's peak. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    david37 said:

bmxboy10 said:

I beleive HM Customs rates second hand bikes at 25% of purchase price at the one year point. and at 5 years as negligible.
    What has that got to do with the price of cheese?
  • pblakeney
    navrig2 said:

david37 said:

bmxboy10 said:

Aged cheese is more expensive? 🤣
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    navrig2 said:

david37 said:

bmxboy10 said:

I thought it was “ What’s that got to do with the price of fish” or maybe that’s an East Yorkshire coast thing. Do you live in Cheddar.
  • piker2
    piker2 Posts: 50
    webboo said:

navrig2 said:

david37 said:

bmxboy10 said:

I thought it was “ What’s that got to do with the price of fish” or maybe that’s an East Yorkshire coast thing. Do you live in Cheddar.
    Fish and cheese are f*in expensive.
  • I don’t tend to sell any bike for at least 10 years after I’ve bought it, I’ll upgrade constantly, and sell the bits I’m upgrading. After that amount of time and miles, there’s normally not a huge amount of value left in them, and the upgrades cost far more than they’re worth. Then I’ll flog the last upgraded bits, and the frame set separately, or skip the frame set if it’s completely knackered.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

I'll buy any old thing, me. Overpriced, badly fitting, completely non fitting at all, mid range bike for a top range cost and I'm your man. 100% bang on. Buy it, get it home, hit it with a rubber mallet in the perfectly lit kitchen with the hard floor. Count me in. So long as it carries me and my 40kg rucksack at a constant 14mph average then I'm a happy chappy.

Agree - run stuff into the ground. If you are going to sell, make sure its 100% bang tidy - think how you would feeel if someone sold you a shonker.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    piker2 said:

webboo said:

navrig2 said:

david37 said:

bmxboy10 said:

Fish and cheese are f*in expensive.
    especially in these post brexit times, but hey, at least you lot got blue passports
  • bmxboy10
    My dilemma is I just got a Caad13 with 105 and love it and after years of buying and selling I’ve realised it’s all I need. If I sell the Supersix DA I’ll maybe get the same as I paid for the Caad which makes no sense. I’ll keep both me thinks. Good thing is the bikes and the components are mostly interchangeable which is good.
  • MattFalle
    edited February 2021
    Sorry - you want to do what?

Why on earth would you do that?

Keep both.

For love of all thing's Janice supplies after kicking out time of course you keep both.
  • rwoofer
    rwoofer Posts: 222
    bmxboy10 said:

My dilemma is I just got a Caad13 with 105 and love it and after years of buying and selling I’ve realised it’s all I need. If I sell the Supersix DA I’ll maybe get the same as I paid for the Caad which makes no sense. I’ll keep both me thinks. Good thing is the bikes and the components are mostly interchangeable which is good.

I've got a SS HM DA as well, but want to get a Caad13 Rim frameset. Seems you can't get them anymore which I'm really disappointed about. I hope this is just temporary and not rim brakes getting pulled altogether.
  • bmxboy10
    edited February 2021
    You guys have to try the Caad as I am converted. I keep finding myself patting the bars as I’m riding it and telling it how great it is🤪
  • elbowloh
    bmxboy10 said:

You guys have to try the Caad as I am converted. I keep finding myself patting the bars as I’m riding it and telling it how great it is🤪

You'll be calling it your steed next, like one of "them".
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • MattFalle
    elbowloh said:

bmxboy10 said:

and joining a club and going on cafe runs and club runs and being utterly totally freakingly boring.
  • MattFalle
    elbowloh said:

bmxboy10 said:

and joining a club and going on cafe runs and club runs and being utterly totally freakingly boring.
  • MattFalle
    bmxboy10 said:

as an aside, what are we meant to be converting from/to?
  • bmxboy10
    Just saying at my age I’ve realised what I need not what I think I want. I would never have looked at aluminium before so guess that’s what I mean by being converted. The ride is just brilliant and I love the simplicity. Also the geo seems spot on for me so I’ve finally found a good fitting and comfortable bike.
  • MattFalle
    Why wouldn't you have looked at ali before? its as good/better as/than everything else.

ali rocks and always will.

#confused
  • bmxboy10
    MattFalle said:

Why wouldn't you have looked at ali before? its as good/better as/than everything else.

ali rocks and always will.

#confused

That’s my point I’ve been sold down the carbon river until now! Plus I don’t care what anyone else says that Caad 13 frame is in a league if it’s own in terms of comfort and compliance IMO.
  • MattFalle
    no ones arguing against you though.
  • I've got a CAAD 12 (rim) and a CAAD 13 (disc).

The 12 feels stiffer to me and more responsive but that may also be because it's lighter and it's super slammed. I've done 200km+ rides on it but it definitely feels like an alloy bike.

The 13 is definitely more comfortable, it feels like a endurance carbon frame (without any silly gimmicks) but without the sit up geometry of an endurance bike.
  • mr_eddy
    mr_eddy Posts: 830
    Also bear in mind selling bikes on eBay requires someone to collect after purchase and during lockdown people are probably not going to drive out the way to get a bike (as they could be fined - Its not exactly a essential trip).

I have 2 bikes to sell but I am going to wait til spring as by then travel restrictions should have eased (increasing your target audience) and the weather is likely to encourage more buyers - In the same way you get more money for a convertible car in spring/summer.