Using Normalised Power

When setting up workouts, should I be looking at my normalised power output for a given step rather than average power? i.e. if im doing a 10min interval to be kept in PZ4, I should be looking at normalised power instead of average power, so that the undulations etc are taken into account?

Comments

• No, you should use average power not NP and keep your power output consistent. Should be easy to do on a turbo trainer which is better for intervals as you don't have to worry about getting hit by a car whilst staring at your wahoo/garmin ;)
  • hdow
    hdow Posts: 184
    Agree with MidlandsGrimpeur2, use average power. A turbo will allow precision. Reps on the road take practice getting used to working within the target zone. Try setting the live power reading to 10s average and keep relaxed if you wander outside the zone.
  • yeah, a turbo is next on the list, but for the time being it's me, the roads and a power meter haha . As you said, I think it'll take a bit of time to get used to riding in the correct zones, especially when going to up and over hills - on the flats im pretty good at keeping in the zone. Im trying to find flatter routes for rep workouts and keep the hills to more general riding
  • Do people find the 10s average power a good way to stick to their zones? I find that with the 3s average I’m still a bit all over the place, though as people have said, relaxing helps a bit with this. I find it hard not to look at the numbers on the screen and immediately over compensate - both on the turbo and when I had a pm on the road...