Tuesday, get the tissues out

Comments

• hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    I sometimes think the morning doppio should be a caffe corretto. I can never find the grappa that early though.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,873
    seanoconn said:

😂
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edited January 2021
    Get Lavazza blue.

Chuck it in moka pot

Drink it by the gallon

If feeling flush/succesful/no one has died on you all day have cigar at the same time.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • seanoconn said:

Beats talking about bicycles.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    seanoconn said:

I'm not old.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • hopkinb
    edited January 2021
    MattFalle said:

have cigar at the same time.

What were those squarish Swiss ones I used to smoke when no-one had died on me? Yellow and brown pack of 5. Villiger export. Have one of them. Or a King Edward imperial. I could never get used to the "proper" cuban ones.

For ciggies, look no further than Marlboro red. Dunhill International for when you're feeling flush. B&H in those lovely gold packs. Or Embassy filter, not as long as king size, you could smoke 'em quicker at break. Oooh, or Chesterfield/Woodbine/Gold Leaf/Senior Service if you could find a tobacconist or old school newsagents that stocked them.

I smoked like it was going out of fashion from age 13 to 30, then had one when I was 33, which turned into another 3 years. Been off them 11 years now. I still get a craving when lying on sunbed when it's hot, but it's easy to ignore.

I still remember the cigarette advertising when I was young. I'm very glad it's not being targeted at my kids now.
  • elbowloh
    I've never smoked, but one year my (then) girlfriends dad, whose new young wife was Cuban, got me a box of Cuban cigars for Xmas. Not sure what he paid for them, but I googled them and they cost about £300 in the UK or about £25 each. I think they were Monte Cristos.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • hopkinb
    edited January 2021
    Also, when I started smoking; 10 fags, a box of matches and a tube of polos could be obtained for just less than a quid. 20 was £1.45. If they'd increased with inflation, they'd be £4.29. I understand they're closer to £15. Blinking flip.
  • hopkinb said:

MattFalle said:

have cigar at the same time.

What were those squarish Swiss ones I used to smoke when no-one had died on me? Yellow and brown pack of 5. Villiger export. Have one of them. Or a King Edward imperial. I could never get used to the "proper" cuban ones.

For ciggies, look no further than Marlboro red. Dunhill International for when you're feeling flush. B&H in those lovely gold packs. Or Embassy filter, not as long as king size, you could smoke 'em quicker at break. Oooh, or Chesterfield/Woodbine/Gold Leaf/Senior Service if you could find a tobacconist or old school newsagents that stocked them.

I smoked like it was going out of fashion from age 13 to 30, then had one when I was 33, which turned into another 3 years. Been off them 11 years now. I still get a craving when lying on sunbed when it's hot, but it's easy to ignore.

I still remember the cigarette advertising when I was young. I'm very glad it's not being targeted at my kids now.
    This was popular
    https://youtu.be/xX__PlOda0E
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,549
    edited January 2021
    MattFalle said:

Stevo_666 said:

MattFalle said:

elbowloh said:

MattFalle said:

elbowloh said:

Every other day: ditto.

oooh. crema

#crema
    Ah, you have a womans coffee...

The mug says "Mr".

Cappuccino in the morning, espresso at all other times.
    there is no excuse to drink cappucino, ever.

it is an abomination. hideous foul liquid.
    So my pint of instant coffee with a good dollop of milk doesn't get your full approval?
    maybe not.
    Fair enough. I prefer it to the middle class creosote aka expresso. Flame suit on...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • hopkinb
    When I was in that second 3 year spell, I used to go for a smoke with a guy my age who smoked 20 cafe creme cigars per day.
  • Stevo_666
    seanoconn said:

I thought you were my mug? ;)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • hopkinb
    My first job, I could smoke at my desk. That was Jan 1996. A year later the partners said you could only smoke in the communal kitchen area.
  • Stevo_666
    hopkinb said:

When I was in that second 3 year spell, I used to go for a smoke with a guy my age who smoked 20 cafe creme cigars per day.

Is he still alive?
  • elbowloh
    hopkinb said:

My first job, I could smoke at my desk. That was Jan 1996. A year later the partners said you could only smoke in the communal kitchen area.

When I worked at Honda, you could smoke in meeting rooms and the Japanese did so continuously.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • hopkinb
    Stevo_666 said:

hopkinb said:

Is he still alive?
    Just. He did get cancer. Skin, not lung. Still a pal. He no longer smokes. Took him a long time to quit, said the cancer made him so stressed that he *had* to smoke. Addictive voice is strong.
  • hopkinb
    elbowloh said:

I've never smoked, but one year my (then) girlfriends dad, whose new young wife was Cuban, got me a box of Cuban cigars for Xmas. Not sure what he paid for them, but I googled them and they cost about £300 in the UK or about £25 each. I think they were Monte Cristos.

My next door neighbour here for 3 years was the official UK rep for Cuban cigars. I'd been given up for ages, but she gave me samples which I gave to friends. So expensive.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb said:

The Rothmans one particularly sticks in my head. Never smoked them, but that image is burned into my brain..
  • Stevo_666
    edited January 2021
    hopkinb said:

Stevo_666 said:

hopkinb said:

Is he still alive?
    Just. He did get cancer. Skin, not lung. Still a pal. He no longer smokes. Took him a long time to quit, said the cancer made him so stressed that he *had* to smoke. Addictive voice is strong.
    Lucky I never did apart from literally the odd one as a teenager. I saw how difficult it was for my old man to quit, although like a true Yorkshireman he eventually did it by putting his f@g money into a big glass jar to show himself how much money he was saving.
  • elbowloh
    hopkinb said:

elbowloh said:

My next door neighbour here for 3 years was the official UK rep for Cuban cigars. I'd been given up for ages, but she gave me samples which I gave to friends. So expensive.
    Yeah, I took them to weddings!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh
    edited January 2021
    My mum smoked for years, she gave up probably about 18 years ago, but sadly passed from lung cancer 3 years ago.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,364
    State express 555. Smoked by cool looking, handsome airline pilots who look at plans for something in front of a private jet, standing on a runway, next to a pretty blonde woman.

As an aside, Fonseca No. 2 for me.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Smoking was big money for some. An awful lot of motor car racing (well racing all together) was sponsored by the big company’s.
    I never remember Woodbine doing it though, but I do remember their pack of just two cigarettes
    It’s amazing now to think what/how they got away with it
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,154
    hopkinb said:

hopkinb said:

The Rothmans one particularly sticks in my head. Never smoked them, but that image is burned into my brain..
    "Medium tar"
    Is there a high tar edition?
    How many to fix a pothole?
  • elbowloh
    Remember people "happiness, is a cigar called Hamlet".
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    As a teenager I remember advertising hoardings showing dusky maidens rolling cigars on the inside of their thigh. Similar to this.

They had an effect on me even though not their target consumer. Didn't buy cigars though.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,416
    I’ve smoked on off socially since I was a teenager, mostly off and 10 in a day would be a binge. Pretty unattractive these days, generally looks bad to smoke in public without a drink nearby. Stupid, dangerous waste of money and completely unfair to my son. I had two in the summer with my in-laws, luckily the craving never took hold.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • MattFalle
    When I smoked it was Marlboro Red or Gauloises - I could never understand people who smoked Light cigarettes - what's the point? Go big or go home.

If you're away - away smoke the local stuff as its funny and dirt cheap. Ciggies are the perfect ice breaker but if you want to influence someone and make friends you give them good Western stuff, not the local schizer.

I gave up the day I had to go and get a body off the sea bed and on the way up all my sinuses exploded and I couldn't see due to blood, cartilage and snot clogging up my mask. Got on boat, took out fags, gave them away, haven't touched any since and, tbh, don't miss it at all.

If people smoke I'll tell them that its (obviously) utterly stih for them etc but hey, who am I to lecture ands go and on and on and on?

Last cigar was somewhere, errr, v noisy - just finished putting locals back together so me an an American doctor sat back, big cigars, listen to the noise, drank coffee. Sort of a M*A*S*H moment, just needed test tubes full of home made gin.

• MattFalle
    Taking a Condor moment is still a day to day phrase around here but its started to be more difficult to use youngsters just don't understand it.