Sore bum.

I normally use Castelli Rosso corsa tights and 3/4 but picked myself up some bargain thin shorts for the turbo.

Whenever I'm out I never get a sore bum area but since I've been zwifting I can only ride about 12km then my 'area' becomes unbearably sore, its not sore like a saddle sore but more of a pressure sore like there's not enough padding if that makes sense? Feels bruised rather than chafing.

Could it be the shorts or do I need to sort my saddle again 🤔

Thanks

Comments

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,519
    Do you use chamois cream?
    If not, do so.
    If so, put more on.
    Or, consider a rocker plate.
  • gethinceri
    Additionally, why use “bargain thin shorts”? You’re asking for it.
  • Chamois cream doesn't do anything... you don't need it with modern inserts, it's an inheritance of the days where chamois was a layer of animal skin and needed to be softened. I no longer use it, and I've done 300 km Audax rides without it... no difference.

Sounds like the shape of the saddle is not right for you.
    left the forum March 2023
  • dsorby2
    dsorby2 Posts: 74

Chamois cream doesn't do anything... you don't need it with modern inserts, it's an inheritance of the days where chamois was a layer of animal skin and needed to be softened. I no longer use it, and I've done 300 km Audax rides without it... no difference.

I've got the specialized Bridge my bike came with and a charge spoon on my mtb, cannot afford another at the moment :neutral:
  • dsorby2

Additionally, why use “bargain thin shorts”? You’re asking for it.

I use dznuts pro chamois cream, couldn't quite afford more castelli
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    Is the pain when you are actually riding outside or on the turbo?

In addition to riding outside how long are your turbo sessions - they can be particularly hard on the backside so it maybe that the outside rides are linked to extended turbo sessions.

Maybe try some turbo work out of the saddle? (I struggle to do this - it feels really unsafe)
  • carl845
    carl845 Posts: 14
    navrig2 said:

Maybe try some turbo work out of the saddle? (I struggle to do this - it feels really unsafe)

I have this problem too with out of the saddle work on the turbo - just feels totally unsafe and that the bike could snap ! This is really spoiling my indoor sessions as i can do an hour on the turbo seated but that's about my limit and then my under carriage starts to hurt ! But outside can cycle for hours (i know you vary the position though outside by getting out of saddle and the bike also have movement etc). So i am actually contemplating buying a Wattbike Atom or similar and selling my turbo trainer. I use these kind of bikes at the gym and know i can do standing climbs on them with no issues.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    do ypu bits hurt on your turbo if you use non bargain shorts?

if they don't i think you have your answer
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Saddle wrong. I’m doing 11/2-2 hour turbo sessions in 15 year old Assos shorts with a pad with minimal padding, no cream (as Ugo says, pointless now).
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Just try dropping your saddle 5 mm whilst on the trainer and see if it’s any better
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    carl845 said:

navrig2 said:

I have this problem too with out of the saddle work on the turbo - just feels totally unsafe and that the bike could snap ! This is really spoiling my indoor sessions as i can do an hour on the turbo seated but that's about my limit and then my under carriage starts to hurt ! But outside can cycle for hours (i know you vary the position though outside by getting out of saddle and the bike also have movement etc). So i am actually contemplating buying a Wattbike Atom or similar and selling my turbo trainer. I use these kind of bikes at the gym and know i can do standing climbs on them with no issues.
    Well if you think you could snap your bike on the turbo. Could you please try and do this whilst videoing it. Because we all like to see the worlds most powerful rider in action.
  • dsorby2
    MattFalle said:

They are the only shorts I have at the moment. Im going to try the Rosso corsa tights tomorrow and roll them up so I'm not as warm and see if its OK
  • dsorby2
    navrig2 said:

In addition to riding outside how long are your turbo sessions - they can be particularly hard on the backside so it maybe that the outside rides are linked to extended turbo sessions.

I'm in pain only on the turbo in certain shorts. Going to try the expensive tights tomorrow and see how it goes. It may be because of minimal padding, maybe the seat isn't quite right for indoors.
  • dsorby2
    I'm going out on a wim here.

Does anyone have a saddle they no longer use or need they will be willing to help me with or swap maybe?

I dont mind colour, material or rails.

Thanks

• gethinceri

Chamois cream doesn't do anything... you don't need it with modern inserts, it's an inheritance of the days where chamois was a layer of animal skin and needed to be softened. I no longer use it, and I've done 300 km Audax rides without it... no difference.

I don’t agree that it’s unnecessary and my own A-B testing proves it, to me. We’re all different.
  • Reading this, I wondering if this is simply a build-up of moisture/sweat that’s the root cause

When your outside you move around quite a bit even without realising it, then there are junctions and hills where you pop out of the saddle for a few seconds. None of this needs to happen indoors
    Just a thought
  • carl845
    carl845 Posts: 14
    webboo said:

carl845 said:

navrig2 said:

Well if you think you could snap your bike on the turbo. Could you please try and do this whilst videoing it. Because we all like to see the worlds most powerful rider in action.
    Knob - i said feels like - not that i could snap it. Now bore off.
  • MattFalle
    dsorby2 said:

MattFalle said:

They are the only shorts I have at the moment. Im going to try the Rosso corsa tights tomorrow and roll them up so I'm not as warm and see if its OK
    coolio - give it a bash and keep updated.
  • MattFalle
    dsorby2 said:

navrig2 said:

I'm in pain only on the turbo in certain shorts. Going to try the expensive tights tomorrow and see how it goes. It may be because of minimal padding, maybe the seat isn't quite right for indoors.
    saddle is a saddle dude - if it works outside it'll work inside and vice versa.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    carl845 said:

webboo said:

carl845 said:

navrig2 said:

Knob - i said feels like - not that i could snap it. Now bore off.
    So you know it won’t break. Well just stand up then when your backside aches.
  • dsorby2
    UPDATE.

Tried the rosso corsa longs on and worked amazingly, 20k no pain or soreness but too warm!!!

Stupid me, realised I've got some club shorts I retired because of an off I had and split the lycra, they are Gore, going to try them tomorrow!!

Thanks for all the help guys appreciate it 🙏
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    You know the extra sweat you produce turboing could also have been a factor.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • MattFalle
    dsorby2 said:

UPDATE.

Tried the rosso corsa longs on and worked amazingly, 20k no pain or soreness but too warm!!!

Stupid me, realised I've got some club shorts I retired because of an off I had and split the lycra, they are Gore, going to try them tomorrow!!

pleasure dude - no problem at all.

just remember that even though you are inside your Farage (the bit between the testicles and the anus) stats the same, so don't skimp on shorts.
  • dsorby2
    MattFalle said:

dsorby2 said:

UPDATE.

pleasure dude - no problem at all.

just remember that even though you are inside your Farage (the bit between the testicles and the censored ) stats the same, so don't skimp on shorts.
    Named after Nigel i presume?? 🤣🤣🤣
  • elbowloh
    Also known as the corridor of uncertainty, just outside the off stump.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • dsorby2
    elbowloh said:

Also known as the corridor of uncertainty, just outside the off stump.

Ha ha ha
  • dsorby2
    UPDATE. 17k and I'm in agony, new saddle ordered.

Managed the full 20k but about halfway through my hands went tingly
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,620
    dsorby2 said:

Stop sitting on your hands then.
  • elbowloh
    dsorby2 said:

That's might be more to do with possibly:
    Not wearing mitts,
    Needing better strength so you're not putting too much weight on your hands,
    Your bike set up being wrong,
    Needing thicker bar tape.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Sore backside and hands sounds like your setup isn’t right, I had to change my saddle for the turbo and remember to stand up every now and then as for hands you must be putting too much weight on them, can you sit on the bike with your hands off the bars and lean forward without face planting?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.