Free Speech

123457»

Comments

• david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    70,000 twitter accounts deleted by twitter. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-55638558
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    pblakeney said:

as an aside a friend posted something on FB about Covid and I rebutted it with some Coopsteresque quality lunacy and before you know it half a dozen freaks had piled in and then the thread disappeared

FB's algorithms are coming down weird and hard on covid posts - a friend of mine whose FiL recently died from it shared a post alerting friends to one of the current vaccination scams, and she was timed out for 24hrs by FB.
    True.
    My wife shared a post which could only be described as positive thinking but it was removed and the only conceivable reason could be covid.
    Facebook is particularly poor for this, they even decide which of your connections posts you will see.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,803
    david37 said:

pblakeney said:

as an aside a friend posted something on FB about Covid and I rebutted it with some Coopsteresque quality lunacy and before you know it half a dozen freaks had piled in and then the thread disappeared

FB's algorithms are coming down weird and hard on covid posts - a friend of mine whose FiL recently died from it shared a post alerting friends to one of the current vaccination scams, and she was timed out for 24hrs by FB.
    True.
    My wife shared a post which could only be described as positive thinking but it was removed and the only conceivable reason could be covid.
    Facebook is particularly poor for this, they even decide which of your connections posts you will see.

We know.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,815
    edited January 2021
    david37 said:

70,000 twitter accounts deleted by twitter. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-55638558

Poor comprehension skills or are just just putting a bit of self serving spin on your post?

Twitter has suspended more than 70,000 accounts linked to the far-right movement QAnon.

Twitter has deleted accounts that “share harmful QAnon-associated content at scale”.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • joenobody
    joenobody Posts: 563
    david37 said:

It isnt a new concept, a dominant infrastructure provider being compelled to operate in a way that enables choice and competition.

A bit late to this, but what makes you think AWS is a dominant provider? Between them Amazon and Google account for 6% of the data centre business (from a friend who works for AWS). That means there's 94% of that market available to Parler, or any new service/platform, to find somewhere to host themselves. They could even do what the download sites do, and host in countries with fewer restrictions.
  • Guy who owns Parler now getting death threats.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,737
    What is it with anything high profile happening and people getting death threats.

The other day an nfl player got so fed up with abuse from fantasy football fans that he falsely said ahead of a game he wasn’t playing to screw them. Death threats followed.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,928

What is it with anything high profile happening and people getting death threats.

The other day an nfl player got so fed up with abuse from fantasy football fans that he falsely said ahead of a game he wasn’t playing to screw them. Death threats followed.

For once in her life, Janet Daley might have written something with a sensible point of view.

• Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,925

There's a low barrier to entry, and people don't really think about what they are saying online?

Would think the majority of them probably wouldn't bother with licking a stamp and walking to the post box.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,556

Guy who owns Parler now getting death threats.

free speech
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,928
    sungod said:

Guy who owns Parler now getting death threats.

free speech

Maybe one for the irony thread.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,697

Perceived zero consequences for the poster. Minimal effort required.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition