UCI to toughen rules

2»

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    edited December 2020

So here Hirschi is using his computer as an improvised Tri bar...

Good for him, it's allowed, but that is surely more unfair than say, descending on the top tube?

And it will surely lead to oversized computers which conveniently are angled in a convenient, TT like position....
  • The current UCI position doesn't benefit anybody. It would be better to allow bars extensions and therefore allow manufacturers to create new products... OR, ban everything and stick to having your hands on a conventional pair of road bars.

Equally, sitting on the top tube looks cool on camera, but I haven't seen any bike with a top tube designed to do just that... hence allow new designs or ban altogether.

As they are looking into things, I would also look at the 6.8 kg weight limit, which is now obsolete... it's basically killing the rim brake market and fewer bikes are sold as a result. Put it down to 5.8 kg and suddenly top teams will be seen having different bikes for different terrains... and so will the dentists
    left the forum March 2023
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391

So here Hirschi is using his computer as an improvised Tri bar...

Good for him, it's allowed, but that is surely more unfair than say, descending on the top tube?

And it will surely lead to oversized computers which conveniently are angled in a convenient, TT like position....

Has anyone other than Hirschi done this though?

Other than the as-yet unsigned D.D Raver - utility impact domestique?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    edited December 2020
    I mention it as, as the video below demonstrates, a full blown TT position is properly faster than more or less everything else so anything in a road race that gets you near it is a big advantage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MibvTpKIteM
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    For sure, but Big Tony Martin™ used to do it without the computer, as have riders for years. It's just Hirschi that uses the computer technique. (probably because he's so young, he's had a garmin there for most of his life...)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    ddraver said:

For sure, but Big Tony Martin™ used to do it without the computer, as have riders for years. It's just Hirschi that uses the computer technique. (probably because he's so young, he's had a garmin there for most of his life...)

During the tour someone mentioned that Wiggins used to do it.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642
    If you want to encourage breakaways why not bring back the clip on bars?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,328
    The one thing that worries me about using the Garmin as a rest is that it comes to rely on the mount as a part of the bike, but being used in a way that wasn't intended. The possibility of structural failure is fairly high. At least if you're just resting forearms on the handlebars you're not at risk of something breaking.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,803
    edited December 2020
    The defence would be that Hirschi's load is on the bars, his hands on the Garmin is adding more control.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    MF thinks that ypu are over thinking this and that he's just doing the forearms over the 'bars bit and his speedo just happens to be there so he's toying with it.

MF doesn't think the H sat there at night thinking about it too much.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157

The one thing that worries me about using the Garmin as a rest is that it comes to rely on the mount as a part of the bike, but being used in a way that wasn't intended. The possibility of structural failure is fairly high. At least if you're just resting forearms on the handlebars you're not at risk of something breaking.

I think they've started making specific mounts to facilitate riding like this.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,865
    Spinichi bars caused s lot of crashes as riders in the wheels of the bunch would ride on them ... Most of these bending the rules positions are used by a lead rider off the front ... Yet to see a clear issue with any of them ... Anybody see that new "breakaway bar "
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • zest28
    zest28 Posts: 403
    edited January 2021
    Banning elbows on the top bar is stupid imo. It will make races more boring as it will be more difficult to do a break away and win the race solo if you are as aero as a brick.

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    zest28 said:

Banning elbows on the top bar is stupid imo. It will make races more boring as it will be more difficult to do a break away and win the race solo if you are as aero as a brick.

So no one ever won a race solo before elbows on bars.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    its a mix of aero and comfort but yup, it ain't really gonna chnge much.

you can still get pretty darn aero using hood/hand combos

#shooooom
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • I remember seeing Romain Bardet's bike close up and his Wahoo was pointed slightly down to be more aero and gripable.

Naturally I have copied that approach on my bikes.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565
    I had Spinaci’s. They were such a giggle.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    FWIW. Here in the states USA Cycling has a rule that says you must have your HANDS on the bar.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    dennisn said:

FWIW. Here in the states USA Cycling has a rule that says you must have your HANDS on the bar.

Iirc that same rule applies in professional races in Europe.

I remember seeing something about how it's one of those original silly rules which has never been removed but technically means anyone crossing the finish line with their hands in the air (not on the bars) should be disqualified.

Fortunately no commissaire enforces it or it has actually now been changed.

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,693
    redvision said:

dennisn said:

Iirc that same rule applies in professional races in Europe.

I remember seeing something about how it's one of those original silly rules which has never been removed but technically means anyone crossing the finish line with their hands in the air (not on the bars) should be disqualified.

Fortunately no commissaire enforces it or it has actually now been changed.

Julian A makes a habit of it so... 😉