Snapped Seat Post

Hi - Hope someone can help

My seatpost has snapped, clean at the top of the stay and seems stuck solid, its a carbon post in an ali frame, have tried everything from heating the frame to putting lube etc. in the seat tube and nothing will shift it

I think the only option is to drill it out - can someone suggest some tools to do so and where I can source them from.

Thanks in advance for any help

Comments

• Another carbon-fibre failure? One option: https://theseatpostman.com
  • tg
    tg Posts: 3
    Thanks, have dropped him an e-mail - any other options around Nth London / Hertsfordshire?
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    ive never done it but i reckon you could make a really good tool for this if you have a metal tube a smidge less than the inside diameter of the seat.

hammer the end so the lip of the tube mushrooms out

cut four slits at right angles to each other and five inches deep

bend out the end of the tube so the now four fingers are wider than the tube / inner diameter of the seatpost.

create an end cap on the other end and thread to fit your slide hammer

push the tube splayed end first down into your frame until you move past the end of the seat tube and the fingers click out. the mushroomed edges should now have clicked into place behind the bottom of the seatpost and against the frame wall

Thread the tube onto the slide hammer

remove using the slide hammer

Video the whole process and become an internet sensation.

Less than a tenner in parts id have thought. (providing you have the tools to make it already of course)

Parts would be a tube and something to machine a cap to receive the slide hammer

infact i might knock up a prototype with changeable diameter ends to suit different sized seatposts.

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    If you decide to drill it out, do it outside and wear a facemask. In fact wear two facemasks, and goggles! You absolutely do not want any carbon fibre particles in your eyes or lungs. Vacuum the dust from your clothes before you go back indoors.
  • tg
    tg Posts: 3
    what type of drill bit would be best?
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edited January 2021

If you decide to drill it out, do it outside and wear a facemask. In fact wear two facemasks, and goggles! You absolutely do not want any carbon fibre particles in your eyes or lungs. Vacuum the dust from your clothes before you go back indoors.

or just don't lick the frame while you're drilling.

complete overkill. vacuum clothes. For Pete's sake, he's boring out a 3mm thick seat post no making a frame out of a solid block of carbon.

Face mask up if you want or just hold your breath.

are you one of those people who wear masks and goggles and gloves to cut a fork steerer?

#dramallama
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle

one of these matched to the diameter of your seat post.

it'll be simple - the frame will stop it from slipping once you are a cm or two in.
  • MattFalle
    david37 said:

ive never done it but i reckon you could make a really good tool for this if you have a metal tube a smidge less than the inside diameter of the seat.

bend out the end of the tube so the now four fingers are wider than the tube / inner diameter of the seatpost.

push the tube splayed end first down into your frame until you move past the end of the seat tube and the fingers click out. the mushroomed edges should now have clicked into place behind the bottom of the seatpost and against the frame wall

Less than a tenner in parts id have thought. (providing you have the tools to make it already of course)

Parts would be a tube and something to machine a cap to receive the slide hammer

infact i might knock up a prototype with changeable diameter ends to suit different sized seatposts.

what - like a headset bearing removal tool attached to a slide hammer?

or a piece of metal bar lowered in vertically turned horizontally once its in there them smacked out with said slide hammet?

#inventions
  • david37
    MattFalle said:

david37 said:

what - like a headset bearing removal tool attached to a slide hammer?

or a piece of metal bar lowered in vertically turned horizontally once its in there them smacked out with said slide hammet?

#inventions
    like a headset removal tool with lips so you can hammer it up rather than down.

#callitabbeyparkchargethousandsandhavedroolersoninstagramcuttingfoamforit
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    MattFalle said:

it'll be simple - the frame will stop it from slipping once you are a cm or two in.

Precisely MF but how is the OP going to drill the first cm or two without knackering the frame? The drill shown above needs some thing to hold the pilot drill ( the little drill in the middle) and this drill will not go several inches down the seat tube.
    A better solution is to use adjustable reamer(s) but finding one big enough might be a problem. My first attempt would be to cut a slot down the seat post with a hacksaw blade. Maybe start the cut with an electric jigsaw.
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    I have made one of these before and it works well. I recommend extra washers with the cut sides and a support washer that only just fits inside.

https://www.huckingkitty.com/node/29

i dont have a lathe so make custom washers by tightening them onto a bolt with a nut and placing them in a drill. I then use an angle grinder while the drill is spinning to reduce washers to required diameter.
  • steve_sordy
    MattFalle said:

complete overkill. vacuum clothes. For Pete's sake, he's boring out a 3mm thick seat post no making a frame out of a solid block of carbon.

are you one of those people who wear masks and goggles and gloves to cut a fork steerer?

#dramallama
    Not overkill at all. This is not just "a block of carbon" It is millions of carbon fibres embedded in resin. Spend just five minutes on Google. Ignore this as you wish, but don't say that you were not warned.

With slow speed sawing, you will probably be OK. But if you use a power dill, the air blast from the motor will blow the dust everywhere, so take care.

I would not wear "mask and goggles and gloves" to cut a metal fork steerer. I would wear safety specs though. But to cut carbon fibre, I would wear mask and goggles, and I would ensure that any dust was removed from my clothing. It is not me being a drama queen, just being sensible. The best thing would be to have someone to hold the nozzle of a vacuum cleaner near the machining point to extract the dust immediately.

Why am I cautious about carbon fibre?
    Fifty years ago part of my apprenticeship was spent in a workshop that made and serviced clutches and brakes for industry. The friction material was asbestos and other stuff embedded around a brass mat. We used to file, sand, grind and drill the pad material every day. The workshop was dusty. Just after I started work there, a popular science program at the time "Tomorrow's World" highlighted the potential dangers of asbestos. That was the start of the problem. I reported this concern to the union rep and in response I had the urine extracted from me, especially when I started to wear a facemask when working with asbestos. I was only there for six months. I went back about five years later and the place was crawling with dust extraction equipment and all the guys were wearing special one piece overalls and proper industrial facemasks with the big dust filters on each side, like something from a science- fiction movie. But the damage had already been done. When I was working in that shop, there was only two old guys (60's) and both were knackered with hacking coughs and so forth. There were none in their 50's and most were mid to late 30's, because the older guys had all either retired sick or had moved jobs. Now, asbestos is rated as extremely hazardous. Even minimal exposure can get you in the end, even if it is 30-40 years later. It is an unpleasant death. Carbon fibre/resin particles are very similar to asbestos particles.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Surely this is a new bike situation?

😉
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • MattFalle
    lesfirth said:

MattFalle said:

Precisely MF but how is the OP going to drill the first cm or two without knackering the frame? The drill shown above needs some thing to hold the pilot drill ( the little drill in the middle) and this drill will not go several inches down the seat tube.
    A better solution is to use adjustable reamer(s) but finding one big enough might be a problem. My first attempt would be to cut a slot down the seat post with a hacksaw blade. Maybe start the cut with an electric jigsaw.
    ciao

just by going really slowly and carefully i'd say. i like the cut of your gib though.

#thankyouforthenicereply
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I think I've seen the cutting with a hacksaw blade method on other posts/forums.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • MattFalle
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    MattFalle said:
    This looks like a handy bit of kit for making holes. However the OP has already got a hole . My last post was obviously too tactful. MF the hole saws you keep recommending are no efin use to the OP whatsoever .If he could get the thing to start cutting in the right place it will never drill deep enough. He needs to remove several inches of seatpost. He will never succeed with one of these hole saws and there is a strong possibility that he will knacker the frame if he tries!
  • MattFalle
    ok.

lets spell this out in simple terms.

yes he has a hole. he needs something to get rid of the seat.

the hole cutter will cut through the seat post - not into it, not around it.

if he isn't a masher he won't do his frame in. start slow, go slow.

its an alu frame so the cutter won't go through it - the frame will hold it in place and he can drill down as far as he wants.

he's cutting a plastic tube out of a metal tube, its not brain surgery, its not difficult. 4/10 on the difficulty scale and a point of that is potentially cutting cutting yourself putting the hole cutter on.

Slap a load of penetrating oil down there a couple of days before you start and its likely the post will loosen itself as you start to cut.

for the love of Mary and Joseph Les, its a bicycle - its not rocket science. Don't try and make out its complicated.

#dramallams
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,630

MattFalle said:

#dramallama
    Not overkill at all. This is not just "a block of carbon" It is millions of carbon fibres embedded in resin. Spend just five minutes on Google. Ignore this as you wish, but don't say that you were not warned.

With slow speed sawing, you will probably be OK. But if you use a power dill, the air blast from the motor will blow the dust everywhere, so take care.

I would not wear "mask and goggles and gloves" to cut a metal fork steerer. I would wear safety specs though. But to cut carbon fibre, I would wear mask and goggles, and I would ensure that any dust was removed from my clothing. It is not me being a drama queen, just being sensible. The best thing would be to have someone to hold the nozzle of a vacuum cleaner near the machining point to extract the dust immediately.

Why am I cautious about carbon fibre?
    Fifty years ago part of my apprenticeship was spent in a workshop that made and serviced clutches and brakes for industry. The friction material was asbestos and other stuff embedded around a brass mat. We used to file, sand, grind and drill the pad material every day. The workshop was dusty. Just after I started work there, a popular science program at the time "Tomorrow's World" highlighted the potential dangers of asbestos. That was the start of the problem. I reported this concern to the union rep and in response I had the urine extracted from me, especially when I started to wear a facemask when working with asbestos. I was only there for six months. I went back about five years later and the place was crawling with dust extraction equipment and all the guys were wearing special one piece overalls and proper industrial facemasks with the big dust filters on each side, like something from a science- fiction movie. But the damage had already been done. When I was working in that shop, there was only two old guys (60's) and both were knackered with hacking coughs and so forth. There were none in their 50's and most were mid to late 30's, because the older guys had all either retired sick or had moved jobs. Now, asbestos is rated as extremely hazardous. Even minimal exposure can get you in the end, even if it is 30-40 years later. It is an unpleasant death. Carbon fibre/resin particles are very similar to asbestos particles.
    Carbon fibre is nothing like asbestos. That's not to say it is entirely harmless, but the particular mechanism by which asbestos damages the lungs does not occur.

• steve_sordy

Carbon fibre is nothing like asbestos. That's not to say it is entirely harmless, but the particular mechanism by which asbestos damages the lungs does not occur.

I am not medically qualified, nor am I a Material Scientist, so I Googled "carbon fibre safety procedures" and got pretty much what I advised in my first post. I also got this on my second click which is from an NHS website and draws parallels between CF and asbestos.

https://www.nhs.uk/news/cancer/cancer-risk-with-carbon-nanotubes/

I am not trying to get into who can search the fastest, just trying to generate some sensible caution when dealing with materials that could have serious effects later.

One of the other sources I came across suggests that the human lung has become pretty good at dealing with the types of dust that humans have come across over the millenia; evolution being what it is. But asbestos and carbon fibre particles are new and the normal methods used by the lungs don't work on them. I agree that CF and asbestos are different to each other, (and different again to glass fibre), but the jury appears to be still out on the long term impact of CF on the lungs.

One new bit of info that I picked up today is that you should not attempt to wipe or brush off CF from your skin. All you do is force it into the skin. That happens with glass fibre, as anyone that has insulated their loft can tell you.

I will not be persisting with this thread, I have sounded a warning is all. I am not banging a gong!
  • First.Aspect
    CF dust is unlikely to be harmless, but nor is it likely to be especially harmful. Probably about the same as a bonfire.

I'm not advising complaceny. A mask isn't going to hurt. If you are drilling stuff, neither is eye protection. I probably wouldn't, but hey I can be a bit cavalier.

I just wanted to reassure the carbon fibre whisperers out there that you will not need a permit and special precautions to sand it down, and that the analogy with mechanism by which the microcrystalline needles by which a particular polymorph of asbestos causes cancer is spurious.

Carbon fibre composite is just araldite and charcoal, pretty much.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    edited January 2021

CF dust is unlikely to be harmless, but nor is it likely to be especially harmful. Probably about the same as a bonfire.

I'm not advising complaceny. A mask isn't going to hurt. If you are drilling stuff, neither is eye protection. I probably wouldn't, but hey I can be a bit cavalier.

I just wanted to reassure the carbon fibre whisperers out there that you will not need a permit and special precautions to sand it down, and that the analogy with mechanism by which the microcrystalline needles by which a particular polymorph of asbestos causes cancer is spurious.

Carbon fibre composite is just araldite and charcoal, pretty much.

Burnt rope. When they invented cfrp they just set fire to some rope and have used the same thing ever since.
    #burnbabyburn
  • david37
    #discoinferno
  • Take crankset and bb off. Get a washercthe same size as the post and pop it in the seat tube from below and attach to slde hammer as d37 above.
    Or just drill a hole in the bb shell and bash it out from behind.
  • MattFalle
    #bashitoutfrombehind
  • MattFalle

I am not medically qualified, nor am I a Material Scientist, so I Googled "carbon fibre safety procedures" and got pretty much what I advised in my first post. I also got this on my second click which is from an NHS website and draws parallels between CF and asbestos.

https://www.nhs.uk/news/cancer/cancer-risk-with-carbon-nanotubes/

I am not trying to get into who can search the fastest, just trying to generate some sensible caution when dealing with materials that could have serious effects later.

One of the other sources I came across suggests that the human lung has become pretty good at dealing with the types of dust that humans have come across over the millenia; evolution being what it is. But asbestos and carbon fibre particles are new and the normal methods used by the lungs don't work on them. I agree that CF and asbestos are different to each other, (and different again to glass fibre), but the jury appears to be still out on the long term impact of CF on the lungs.

One new bit of info that I picked up today is that you should not attempt to wipe or brush off CF from your skin. All you do is force it into the skin. That happens with glass fibre, as anyone that has insulated their loft can tell you.

I will not be persisting with this thread, I have sounded a warning is all. I am not banging a gong!
    drone drone drone blah blah blah utter tosh.

#uttertosh
  • steve_sordy
    I confess to being dazzled by your rapier wit.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    I'm with Steve on this. The long term effects of carbon fibre dust and particles are not known yet so it's better to be safe than sorry.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • First.Aspect
    I don't know how some of you summon the courage to leave the house.
  • gomezz
    gomezz Posts: 99
    If it's wise to wear a helmet in case of injury's ? What's wrong with taking precautions with other things that May! cause damage.