Squealing BB

New Enduro ABEC3 bearing fitted to my 2017 HM Synapse, nice & smooth at start. BUT, after just 30 to 40 miles, I get this very metallic sounding screech! I'm wondering if the bearing outer is trying to rotate in the shell, OR axle is rotating on bearing inner. The bearings were assemble into the BB shell with grease, as per Cannondale instructions. I have seen some recommend Loctite, not grease?
Niv.

Comments

• brundonbianchi
    brundonbianchi Posts: 689
    edited December 2020

I’d use loctite for the bearings into the cups, and only use grease for the assembled cup into the frame. You probably are getting rotation where you shouldn’t be, as you describe. It looks like Cannondale recommend Loctite 609.

It seems you just press the bearings into the frame on your bike, so Loctite it is then.
  • niv
    niv Posts: 14
    That's what I was thinking too, but it goes against the Cannondale instructions.
    Also, I'd have to get another set of bearings as pressing the old (well new still) ones out will probably damage them as the tool presses against the inner race for removal, unless I can very gently tap the outer race with a soft drift through from the other side of the BB?
    Niv.
  • niv said:

That's what I was thinking too, but it goes against the Cannondale instructions.
    Also, I'd have to get another set of bearings as pressing the old (well new still) ones out will probably damage them as the tool presses against the inner race for removal, unless I can very gently tap the outer race with a soft drift through from the other side of the BB?

I think Cannondale seem to be advocating removing the race(s) with a flat head screwdriver ( from the illustration). That sounds sensible, if your careful, or you could use a home made split plastic pipe drift, or one of these.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/park-tool-press-fit-bb-bearing-tool-set-bbt-903

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I think I've got a blues album by Squealing BB.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • niv
    niv Posts: 14

niv said:

I think Cannondale seem to be advocating removing the race(s) with a flat head screwdriver ( from the illustration). That sounds sensible, if your careful, or you could use a home made split plastic pipe drift, or one of these.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/park-tool-press-fit-bb-bearing-tool-set-bbt-903

I can probably make one of those with a short piece of 28mm copper pipe (so it fits thru' 30mm ID bearing). Might be a bit too soft though?
    Niv.