National team GT - You're the manager

Hopefully something close to a bit of fun.
A new GT for national teams has been announced, and you've been picked as General Manager and DS for a country of your choice.

There are 25 nations with 8 or more riders at HC+ level to choose from (I'm not entirely sure how the list below works - is it riders who have raced this season at HC or above, or riders on a pro-conti or above team? - You can have either).

https://www.procyclingstats.com/statistics.php?p=nations&s=nr-active-riders&season=2019&level=2&filter=Filter

You may also choose to manage "The rest of the world" and choose from nations that can't fill a team.

The GT will look fairly similar to many GTs of our era. It will feature:

A short prologue TT
A mainly flat TT (30-40km in the 3rd week)
A TTT at the start of the second week.
5 flat sprint stages
6 rolling/medium mountain stages (3 with a flat finish, 2 with a muur finish, one with a muur plus descent)
1 cobbled stage
6 high mountain stages - 4 MTF, 2 with descent to finish.

Your job is to select a team, describe your goals and your strategy and tactics for achieving them.

Your work will not be scored, but will almost certainly be ridiculed.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    I'm going to take the Rest of the World as it's the most interesting.

Mountains/GC
    Carapaz (ECU) - leader
    Martin (IRE) - back-up
    Amador (CRC)
    Caicedo (ECU)

Sprinting/Breaks
    Bennett (IRE) - leader
    Narvaez (ECU)
    Skujins (LAT)
    Sagan (SVK) - does what he wants

We are going to attack a lot in the mountains as to try to exploit the weak Slovenian domestiques. Narvaez will be retrained as a lead out man. Skuijns providing some horse power in the last few ks. Sagan can do whatever he pleases.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    6 high mountain stages? only 5 sprint stages?

A lot to quibble with the route but let's forget that for now.

OK I'm obviously going Ned.

Tom Dumoulin
    Kruiswijk
    Mollema
    Kelderman
    Gesink
    VdP
    Langeveld
    Terpstra

So. We're in it to win the bloody thing and show how such a small nation can produce such world beating talent without the geography to help.

Tom is our leader, with Kruiswijk acting as a legit GC foil, so he will be riding for himself for a GC ranking. The hope will be he is high enough on GC come end of week 2/ week 3 where he is relatively stronger where he can go up the road in the big mountain stages and put rivals under pressure - Tom is better following than attacking.

If possible, Mollema can stay high up but happy to have him as the last man in the mountains, along with Kelderman. Tom knows what he's doing in the mountains but he can lean on the experience of Mollema and Gesink if required.

We have a strong team for the TTT - Langeveld, Terpstra, VdP and Doumoulin are all super strong in the TTT.

We're well set to protect and/or go after the cobbled stage win, with VdP, Langeveld and Terpstra.

Groenewegen is unfortunately out of the team as the critical TTT where the team can make up some time on the smaller nations - else I'd swap him in for Langeveld and have Terpstra and VdP in that order deliver him to the finish line.

The aim of the team is to act out my fantasy of actually having high-up-on-GC riders attack from further out to help out their further-up-on-GC team mates and mess up the tactics of other teams. With enough strong talent on the roster I'm willing to throw the dice and create a bit of chaos, and I think we have enough experienced heads (it's an old team, relatively speaking) to navigate through it.

In reality and in the heat of the moment I suspect this will all go out of the window and we'd end up riding it like Jumbo in the Tour...

Either way i would be confident, given Rich's team that we'd spank the RoW in the TTT and even the TT in week 3, so there would be a lot of keeping them in their box in the mountains, which I expect is less fun.

We'd also be able to really put a lot of pressure on the RoW team on the cobbles and most others.

This particular DS will also insist on a cobbled victory come what may.

If GC looks unlikely early on, it's all on the boys for stage wins, which i think with VdP etc it is an option, especially on some of the medium stages with flat finishes - VdP can go toe-to-toe with the Belgians and French on those. He would also compete in the sprint finishes too, with etterbak (look it up) Terpstra putting all these pretenders back in their place.

At least we'd have some hilariously bad euro-techno in the bus. :smiley:
  • Langeveld rather than van Baarle?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    edited December 2020
    GB will "do a Movistar" and target the team classification with a confused selection of multiple leaders. Carthy, Thomas, TGH, Yates, Yates. Rowe, Dowsett, Swift.
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah. Possibly. I prefer Langeveld's character to van Baarle.
  • North of England
    - Yates
    - Yates
    - Knox
    - Carthy
    - Ben Swift
    - Connor Swift
    - Tanfield
    - Holmes

No place for Cavendish unfortunately as the lads couldn't be ar53d waiting for the ferry to arrive and so cracked on and picked up Holmes instead.

2 x Yates and Carthy can hang around the top of GC for a week and see how it goes. Knox to help out and the Swift's to look after them on the flat.

TTT will be messy with lots of shouting at each other, as Tanfield rides everyone off his wheel. Yates (A) gets dropped and Yates (S) apparently doesn't hear the call.

After everyone has a 'sort out' on the bus it's all good again and basically everyone comes out swinging, going for breaks and wins.

Knox somehow ends up in 7th on GC and is well looked after by Connor Swift on the cobbles. Ben Swift breaks a collar bone. Simon has a dodgy mech so when Adam stops for a natural he nicks his bike.

Tanfield DNFs on the 3rd Sunday Mountain stage, so doesn't get to ride the TT.

Carthy has slipped down the GC so for a laugh he rides the TT on his road bike.

Holmes runs Alaphilippe close on one of the Muur finishes. Isn't seen the rest of the tour.

Adam is in a break of 4 on the final MTF stage and has 3 minutes with 20K to go. Simon drives the peloton to the bottom of the final climb and the break is caught.
  • rick_chasey

GB will "do a Movistar" and target the team classification with a confused selection of multiple leaders. Carthy, Thomas, TGH, Yates, Yates. Rowe, Dowsett, Swift.

Those Yates boys are going to be in a WORLD OF PAIN in the TTT with that lineup. Ouchy
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    Danish team checking in:

Asgreen
    Mads P
    Valgren
    Fuglsang
    Mørkøv
    Mikkel Bjerg
    Søren Kragh
    Magnus Cort

Jakob has finally given up riding for GC, he's here to have fun. Having seen the Dutch team's tactics, I'm straight on the blower to @rick_chasey : "will trade work for stage wins in the mountains".

Jakob also has some fun on the muur stages, where Valgren also comes into play.

On the rolling stages Søren Kragh and Valgren try and light things up, with Asgreen and Mads P also in the mix.

The Dutch lack of focus, even with "win the cobbles at all costs" falls apart on the pave. Mads P takes the win after superb work from Asgreen and Søren Kragh.

We do OK in the TTT

Mørkøv leads out Magnus Cort or Mads P, depending on the occasion. But one day each thinks the other is the man, and Mørkøv ends up wheelsurfing to victory by himself, a fitting reward for all the stage win he's delivered for others.
  • rick_chasey

The Dutch lack of focus, even with "win the cobbles at all costs" falls apart on the pave. Mads P takes the win after superb work from Asgreen and Søren Kragh.

:D:D
  • GB will "do a Movistar" and target the team classification with a confused selection of multiple leaders. Carthy, Thomas, TGH, Yates, Yates. Rowe, Dowsett, Swift.

Those Yates boys are going to be in a WORLD OF PAIN in the TTT with that lineup. Ouchy
    We only need 5 to finish together.
  • rick_chasey
    I feel there are going to be more stage wins than stages and more than 3 riders on the overall GC podium...
  • I wouldn't put it past France to go for heroic failure in the overall rather than definite stage wins.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,877

North of England
    - Yates
    - Yates
    - Knox
    - Carthy
    - Ben Swift
    - Connor Swift
    - Tanfield
    - Holmes

No place for Cavendish unfortunately as the lads couldn't be ar53d waiting for the ferry to arrive and so cracked on and picked up Holmes instead.

How does Cav even qualify as the Isle of Man isn't part of England, and Cav's UK house is in Essex?
  • North of England
    - Yates
    - Yates
    - Knox
    - Carthy
    - Ben Swift
    - Connor Swift
    - Tanfield
    - Holmes

How does Cav even qualify as the Isle of Man isn't part of England, and Cav's UK house is in Essex?
    North of England (ish) - and as far as the Tax man is concerned Mr Cav lives in IoM I think....
    plus, humour, you know.
  • rick_chasey
    edited December 2020
    I feel Dr's approach is basically sunweb in the 2020 tour.
  • No_Ta_Doctor

I feel Dr's approach is basically sunweb in the 2020 tour.

Very much so. The Sunweb riders had a great time, and now everyone wants a bit of it. That's why Jakob dropped the GC ambitions.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725

North of England (ish)

In that case, I'll have Brittany for my Welsh team...

It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.

• North of England (ish)

go for it - culture beats geography
  • No_Ta_Doctor

North of England (ish)

go for it - culture beats geography
    Yeah, let's be 'aving it.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    It's going to be a weird race with no French, Spanish, Italian, Belgian or German riders on the start-line so far....
  • It's going to be a weird race with no French, Spanish, Italian, Belgian or German riders on the start-line so far....

Italians will be a shambles - no big leader and no top 3 contender in any category except Ganna waiting 3 weeks for the TT. Foresee lots of Mercenary action.
    You didn't say where this GT was taking place - if it's not in Italy, Ulissi doesn't get a place.

Belgium - 5 QS boys + WVA + GVA + Gilbert? Will have a think.
  • No_Ta_Doctor

It's going to be a weird race with no French, Spanish, Italian, Belgian or German riders on the start-line so far....

Italians will be a shambles - no big leader and no top 3 contender in any category except Ganna waiting 3 weeks for the TT. Foresee lots of Mercenary action.
    You didn't say where this GT was taking place - if it's not in Italy, Ulissi doesn't get a place.

Belgium - 5 QS boys + WVA + GVA + Gilbert? Will have a think.
    The question with Belgium is whether to target GC with Evenepoel, I think.

The location of the GT is a closely guarded secret, but seeing as I'm both organising it and DSing for Denmark, you can assume it's somewhere that gets a lot of rain.
  • salsiccia1
    edited December 2020
    I'll do Italy then.

Ganna
    Viviani
    Formolo
    Ulissi
    Puccio
    Nizzolo
    Masnada
    Rebellin for the lols (he's about to sign another contract for next year, riding for the Cambodian Cycling Academy. He's 49 FFS)

No Nibali as he's a scrote, and no Aru as he's just totally fooked up now.

Ganna to murder the time trials and tow everyone round in the TTT, Formolo and Ulissi to have a go on the hilly stages, Puccio and Masnada to tow Ganna up the hills for the overall, Viviani and Nizzolo for the sprints and the donkey work on the flat. Rebellin to do his own thing in his attempt to be the oldest stage winner/finisher/whatever he can get.

It would be a car crash, obviously, but hopefully entertaining.

Edited as per YR's eagle eyed observation below.
  • France:
    Pinot
    Martin
    Alaphillippe
    Bardet
    Gaudu
    Peters
    Latour
    Demare

You know they'd find a way to leave Demare with too much to do on his own.
  • I'll do Italy then.

Ganna
    Viviani
    Formolo
    Ulissi
    Puccio
    Trentin
    Masnada
    Rebellin for the lols (he's about to sign another contract for next year, riding for the Cambodian Cycling Academy. He's 49 FFS)

No Nibali as he's a scrote, and no Aru as he's just totally fooked up now.

Ganna to murder the time trials and tow everyone round in the TTT, Formolo and Ulissi to have a go on the hilly stages, Puccio and Masnada to tow Ganna up the hills for the overall, Viviani and Nizzolo for the sprints and the donkey work on the flat. Rebellin to do his own thing in his attempt to be the oldest stage winner/finisher/whatever he can get.

It would be a car crash, obviously, but hopefully entertaining.

Nizzolo a ringer then seeing as you haven't named him in the team?.....
  • salsiccia1
    Ah... good spot. Meant to replace Trentin on my list with Nizzolo.
  • No_Ta_Doctor

Ah... good spot. Meant to replace Trentin on my list with Nizzolo.

Sad to see Pozzovivo didn't get a ride.
  • France:
    Pinot
    Martin
    Alaphillippe
    Bardet
    Gaudu
    Peters
    Latour
    Demare

That's an impressive team but I'd be inclined to give Demare a bit of a helping hand, otherwise Alaphilippe is going to have to shoulder a heavy workload.
    Latour has lost his way a bit, so I'd try and convince someone like Marc Sarreau or Clément Venturini to turn lead out for the heavy traffic situations, as well as being a second sprint option.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • France:
    Pinot
    Martin
    Alaphillippe
    Bardet
    Gaudu
    Peters
    Latour
    Demare

That's an impressive team but I'd be inclined to give Demare a bit of a helping hand, otherwise Alaphilippe is going to have to shoulder a heavy workload.
    Latour has lost his way a bit, so I'd try and convince someone like Marc Sarreau or Clément Venturini to turn lead out for the heavy traffic situations, as well as being a second sprint option.
    Yes, that's what I'd imagine a France team would be rather than my choice 😀

If I was in charge, I'd give Demare a full lead out train, plus Alaphillipe and Martin. No pinot.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217

France:
    Pinot
    Martin
    Alaphillippe
    Bardet
    Gaudu
    Peters
    Latour
    Demare

Let me guess, they all shed loads of time on the early stages and go chasing the polka dots / stage hunting? The TTT will be a disaster!