Your garage hoard, discuss...

I only have one road bike, so I tend to overdo it with spares, I guess... I have:

3 sets of spare tyres with various degree of mileage in them
A few spare tubes
A spare chain
A spare cassette
2 spare bottom brackets
Lengths of outer cable for gear and brake
Spare inner cables
A spare chainset (I use the good one for summer only)
A spare fork (the 300g one I only use in summer)
A spare rear derailleur
A spare set of wheels (race only)

Am I a hoarder?
left the forum March 2023

Comments

• paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 631
    That sounds like a sensible combination of "buy in advance cos you will need it eventually" and "bling items for special circumstances".

I'll bet it took a while for it all to appear.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,896
    edited November 2020
    I have at least double that with the exception of the fork. 😱 Yup! All bought at sale prices as I know that I'll use them eventually. Nice to have them handy and not wait on delivery!
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • I see we are all the same... :D

It's true that it's nice to have things when you need them, rather than cross fingers and hope they are in stock on the web at a decent price...

I might have overdone it with the bottom brackets, especially since I have had the same on for the past 3 years...
  • pblakeney
    edited November 2020

I see we are all the same... :D

It's true that it's nice to have things when you need them, rather than cross fingers and hope they are in stock on the web at a decent price...

I might have overdone it with the bottom brackets, especially since I have had the same on for the past 3 years...

I can't even remember when I bought my spare bottom brackets. 😱 I'll hazard a guess at 5 years +. 🤣 Also, I've checked mine in the past couple of months and both bikes are still good to go. 😎

For perspective. You know these under bed boxes? I have one full of tools and one full of spares.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney said:

For perspective. You know these under bed boxes? I have one full of tools and one full of spares.

Ahhh... class!!

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,367
    Call that hoarding? You've never seen my garage.
  • Call that hoarding? You've never seen my garage.

Old car parts don't count... only genuine cycling spares... :)
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    I only have spare bikes, keeps the garage shelves clear o:)
  • I have a few bits in the garage but most are in my favoured location - the loft :)
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,680
    I have a spare wheelset, groupset, frame, cockpit, tyres and fork. For ease of storage I attach these spares together. And hang them next to my bike.
  • pblakeney

I have a spare wheelset, groupset, frame, cockpit, tyres and fork. For ease of storage I attach these spares together. And hang them next to my bike.

You've just went down in my estimation. Cockpit indeed.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • First.Aspect
    I wanted to keep the message nice and short. At least I didn't say "gruppo".
  • veronese68

Call that hoarding? You've never seen my garage.

Old car parts don't count... only genuine cycling spares... :)
    The volumetric area taken by bike spares is significantly higher than that of car spares now.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Less than I used to because I've sold off my ten speed stuff. Still have two filing cabinet drawers full of consumables and cast-offs, a couple of deconstructed mountain bikes minus forks, various bars/stems, tri-bars, pedals.

I've a new SRAM Rival 11s hydro shifter and caliper, and a pair of unused Force calipers, all bought for a hydro conversion while I tried to source a front shifter but then landed a new pair at a decent price. I keep thinking I should list them, but since I got them at a good price they are worth keeping in case of crash damage or failure.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,704
    Ugo, you're an amateur. I've probably got enough bits to build up a couple of complete bikes, more if I buy another frame or two... That's in addition to the 9 bikes fully built up.
  • I feel bad for having so little.

I have an iron mountain packing box full of mainly useful spares (about 4 Garmin GSC-10 modules, 3 of the new hub mounted one - neither of my bikes actually have one mounted!) a pack of brake pads, cleats and a bottom bracket and some lube and grease.

Need to up my game!

• david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    ive got 2 da 11speed mechanical groupsets in boxes, various bearings in various sizes, boxes of brake and gear cables and outers, inner tubes in many many different sizes , BB standards for bikes i dont even own anymore, 7 GP4000 m2 s 23mm tyres
    various mountain bike tyres, Shimano flight deck computers and cables (old 9 speed tech) seat posts, various bars, a ten speed DA groupset, 3 ultegra mechs, a box of random callipers, quite a few post mount callipers, tons of brake hose, 2 big un opened bottles of shimano brake fluid, 2 small SRAM bottles, brake block for bikes last seen 30 years ago, cable end crimps, ferruls etc. Ive got 30m of never to be used again 5mm gear outer half a dozen bar tapes, 4 fizik saddles, some other random saddles, 4 2nd gen stages pms in boxes 175mm length (DA). a range of sealants, some valves, boxes of tubeless tapes in various widths, lots of gorrilla tape, boxes of spokes and nipples from builds gone by and the odd repair, 10 packs of 6 gas cannisters, boxes of odds and ends like caliper bolts etc, loads of chain wheels, 2 clarks M2 break sets in boxes, a random box of used gear shifters, did i mention seat posts? ive got some cracking thompson ones and a mint Dura ace one that was never fitted. some old partially built framesets, random wheels. random 9 speed campag record mechs and callipers.

then there is the old school MTB tech incl marzocchi bomber forks prob 20 years old. God i love V brakes.

I need to get out more :)
  • Forgot to mention I also have a couple of boxes of brake pads... obviously
  • veronese68
    Oh blimey if we're gong to list it theres probably 2 or 3 sets of pads each for road rim brakes, V brakes and XT/Ultegra disc. Oh and a set for the Parabox set up that I'm not using that is also in the garage. Half a dozen sets of cables. At least a dozen tubes of various sizes. Spares chains for single, 8, 10 and 11 speed. A set of 10 speed 105 levers and mechs. A Sram Rival 1x hydraulic disc set up off a crushed Boardman CX along with the front wheel, forks, bars, seat with post and the rear hub XD driver cassette in something insane like 10-42. An Octalink Ultegra chainset. An SLX groupset off the lads MTB that he broke the frame on. About 4 saddles. A full Nuovo Record groupset waiting for the Chesini frame to be repaired. About 6 pairs of pedals. Spare bottom bracket for Hollowtech, A BB30 bottom bracket that's done 7 miles but doesn't fit any of my bikes, came off the crushed Boardman I bought and broke for spares. 3 drop bars and a couple of MTB bars. Various grips, bar ends and used mechs. An SS frame with a seized seatpost. Probably a dozen or so tyres and half a dozen wheels.
    Plus a few bits for the lads Mini and a 68 Bonneville in bits.
    I'm sure there's more.
  • pblakeney
    Okay, here is my list.
    Nowt, nada, zip. I don't have a garage. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Thats not hoarding ugo. If i tried to write all the spare kit i have my fingers would hurt. Got everything to build a few bikes.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • First.Aspect

Thats not hoarding ugo. If i tried to write all the spare kit i have my fingers would hurt. Got everything to build a few bikes.

But you run a bike shop.
  • pblakeney said:

Okay, here is my list.

I don't have one either... no excuse not to have a hoard of spares... go fetch them!
  • pblakeney
    edited November 2020

pblakeney said:

Okay, here is my list.

I don't have one either... no excuse not to have a hoard of spares... go fetch them!
    Can't be bothered listing all the stuff under the bed. 😉
    Then there is old gear in the loft, and new stuff on order.... 2 headsets and extra bearings for example. 🤣 Suffice to say that I have plenty for years to come!
    Compatibility of parts on all bikes makes life a lot simpler!
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I have things to do, today. I ain't writing a list!

Five bikes, a spare set of wheels with either a Shimano or Campagnolo cassette and then I'll just say that if anyone here needs owt, give me a shout before parting with cash.

(then I'll a. see if I have it; and b. check out your posting history)
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • veronese68
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Okay, here is my list.

.... 2 headsets
    Oh yes, got my new threaded headset the other day. That's now in the box with the Nuovo Record stuff waiting for the frame.
    Not completely correct to period but I'm not that obsessive.

• First.Aspect
    Why on earth does everyone have so many headsets? I think I've worn out two, ever. Just use mudguards, you muppets!
  • pblakeney
    edited November 2020
    A combination of potholes and Campagnolo stopping production so hoarding for the future.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • veronese68
    I think a 1970s headset has done well and warrants replacing.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,746
    I've got way too much even after selling a bit earlier this year. Moving house soon so will have a major clear out.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]