Christmas Trees

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,773

pblakeney said:

Waaaaay too early! I've not bought a Xmas tree for the last few years - Mrs only likes 'real' versions and they're too expensive these days so replace the tree with booze.

The perfect compromise.

You wouldn't want to slip off a chair putting fairy on that.
    Amateur! Star on first, work your way down. 😉
    Start at the bottom for emptying the bottles to clear your way to the top though. 🤣
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Christmas for me is something to be endured rather than enjoyed. My dog, that i rescued when i was 12 and she was 9 months died on Christmas Day when I was in my 20s and that was pretty much the final nail in the coffin so to speak for Christmas.

I'm gonna have to find a way of liking it more now I have a kid i guess.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pblakeney
    elbowloh said:

I'm gonna have to find a way of liking it more now I have a kid i guess.

Christmas is all about the little ones. It meant nothing in my 20s and early 30s.
    Enjoy their excitement. Especially the part before they find out the truth. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    Christmas was basically a booze fest when you were old enough to drink and when you get kids you can combine Christmas excitement with getting on the sauce. What is not to like.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Pross said:

Please tell me no-one on here indulges in tacky outdoor displays? We have people across the road with giant inflatable Father Christmas and Nutcrackers on their lawn, they'll also have their machine going to blow fake snow (foam) in the next few days no doubt.

I put a few fairy lights up on the privet hedge - well my wife does. My daughter wants us to buy one of those projectors - I'm tempted !
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • john80
    Raindeer family in the front garden for your delight.
  • Reindeer?
  • pblakeney

Reindeer?

Quite right. Deer that wear reins. It's obs innit.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Reindeer?

If it was a question it is more likely to be “Rain, Dear?”
  • john80
    It was an epic fail as it did not load the photo. It does rain a lot in Cumbria .
    r.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,620
    john80 said:

It was an epic fail as it did not load the photo. It does rain a lot in Cumbria .
    r.

Looks like neon yowes.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,320
    edited November 2020
    Got most of the decorations out of the loft today so the trouble can put them up over the next week or so, or direct me where to put them I should say. The tree is her domain though.
    I know it's still November but the road is having drinks out in the street next Saturday and she wants it all done before then. I know my place and I do like a quiet life.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    webboo said:

The missus always gets a real tree. This year my daughter is taking her to some where near Sherrif Hutton where you cut your own down for a tenner. Sounds like some bloke has just found a wood and stuck a sign up “ Xmas trees for sale”

Went for the tree today, they gone up to 15 quid but there is a man with chain saw to cut it down for you and they bag it. But you’ve got lug it across a field or two back to the car. However 15 quid for a tree from 5 ft to 12 ft in all shapes bit of a bargain. Which is probably why half of North Yorkshire was there as soon as they opened at 9:00 this morning.
  • pblakeney
    Saw £15 for six footers in Aldi this week.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I told the thing with real trees is if they have been cut down for a few weeks I.e. a supermarket or garden centre tree, the needles are more likely to drop off. As opposed to a freshly cut tree. However if we wake up to a bald tree tomorrow, the above is clearly boll@cks.
  • pblakeney
    As I remember it, there used to be a marked difference between a "live tree" and a "cut tree". Don't ask as I'm no longer interested in real trees. DYOR. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • The real questions that need answering are:
    1, should you have tinsel on the tree?
    2, are coloured lights ok or only white?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,542

The real questions that need answering are:

The answer is no to both (flashing lights are also obviously a no as well).
  • pblakeney

The answers are:-
    It's your tree. Do what the f you like.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross
    edited November 2020

This year's is up. I did the hard work of getting everything out of the loft and left Mrs P to do the fun stuff.

Photo looks really dark for some reason, the original shows the colours much more.
  • Pross said:

This year's is up. I did the hard work of getting everything out of the loft and left Mrs P to do the fun stuff.

Photo looks really dark for some reason, the original shows the colours much more.

it needs some tinsel.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,320
    Went round to the old dear's to keep out the way whilst the trouble and daughter did the tree.

Upon discovering tinsel is out of fashion a couple of years ago we increased the amount of tinsel. Ballcocks to tasteful trees, they are naff and proud.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,692

The class connotations on how you go about decorating your tree and your choice of tree are hilariously intricate.
  • We've had real trees for the last few years (Nordmann) as one of MrsHDs clients grows and sells them, £40 for a 7ft tree is not to be sniffed at. After buying this years we went to a local garden centre for some tat and a 4ft Nordmann was £50!
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

We've had real trees for the last few years (Nordmann) as one of MrsHDs clients grows and sells them, £40 for a 7ft tree is not to be sniffed at. After buying this years we went to a local garden centre for some tat and a 4ft Nordmann was £50!

We got ours yesterday from Tulley's Farm shop. Was £25 for about a 5ft tree.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • None, only because lazy.

We have pines (dunno what species) growing like weeds here, and a few of them would make fine Xmas trees. Or at least , someone round here thinks so, as one of the bigger ones (maybe 2 metres tall) has been cut and stolen from the paddock...

*Fairly* sure I know who it was.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Pross

None, only because lazy.

We have pines (dunno what species) growing like weeds here, and a few of them would make fine Xmas trees. Or at least , someone round here thinks so, as one of the bigger ones (maybe 2 metres tall) has been cut and stolen from the paddock...

The whole "traditional" Christmas always seems a bit out of place in the Southern Hemisphere anyway.
  • pblakeney
    Pross said:

None, only because lazy.

The whole "traditional" Christmas always seems a bit out of place in the Southern Hemisphere anyway.
    I've always found photos of Santa on Bondi Beach conflicting, and funny.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,498
    The Mrs cannot restrict herself to just one tree, so we have artificial....
  • Pross said:

None, only because lazy.

It’s a bit odd to be doing a roast lunch when it’s 43 deg C outside. 🙂

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS