Home gym equipment for x training general health

tangled_metal
tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
There's probably a lot of people who cycle for pleasure and fitness not sport. I'm asking you more because I'm no sportsman just a middle aged man looking at keeping fit, strong and healthy. I ride a bike for pleasure and occasionally commuting. I'm getting out less often so need something more convenient for exercise.

I've got space sorted out in the garage to leave it all set up. My turbo, cheap smart one, will be set up for me (my partner uses a 26" wheeled bike so not easy to switch to her bike). I however don't want to rely on that.

I'm looking at a handful of big purchases but not very expensive. Something like an £800 concept 2 rower model d and something for whole body weights. I like the versaclimber but that's a bit above budget. We have a limited range of cheap fixed weight dumbbells and kettlebells.

Would you bother with a decent rower and cheap bench to use with the dumbbells? What would you suggest? Total budget isn't much over a grand at most. A house move is taking most our spare money right now so big spends (other than folding bike) are out.

For me a big cv or weights achine that's convenient to use is a motivating thing but I struggle motivating for free weights and stuff like that.

Then there's what's available. I reckon buying the house would be quicker than the waiting lists for good kit but I'd rather wait for the right option.

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I have a old bike permanently on a turbo and free weights and a bench. I wouldn’t bother with a rower as you got the turbo for aerobic stuff. I also think if you’ve got weights a bench is essential. I would look to get a barbell set which usually come with a bar and two dumbbell bars, although it’s a bit of a ball ache stopping weights around. With the barbell set you’ve got the means to challenge yourself and get stronger. Where as with just the fixed weight dumbbells once you can do 10 or more reps with the heaviest, you are not achieving much.
    Although I would love to have one of those fixed weight dumbbell sets they have at the gym.
  • I used to go to a gym a lot and even had a barbell/ dumbbell set at home. But I found changing weights for different exercises a real pain. I mostly did high number of reps and worked the weight up with each set. I wasn't trying to get strong a I could just toned and a bit stronger for more endurance stuff. Free weights really never worked for me. I have fixed weight dumbbells and kettlebells but they simply don't get used.

Cable based resistance machines worked well though I don't think I could ever afford them. I did see a £180 multi gym at argos that could work. It apparently has the means of working the main muscle groups. I was thinking the rower possibly stair climber thing that works upper body and core too might be beneficial.

Noticed a few years ago despite attempts I couldn't improve my commuting times. I reached a plateau and have only dropped back. I'm not sure bike on a turbo or on the road alone works hence x training. Rowing I know from the past is a concentrated CV workout with your whole body being involved in the action. I used to use the gym bikes but it was only when the instructor moved me onto rower and the stepper that my fitness started to really improve.

Perhaps I need the barbell and bench. Perhaps with a better routine with it. Perhaps a good source of advice on using weights that's not about weightlifting or getting the physique. A focussed advise relevant to those using weights fit x, y or a activities. I had a book like that which covered outdoor activities that listed and described exercises with common kit that helps with fitness specifically for the activity concerned. Perhaps for me I need it to motivate
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,495
    If you are doing it so you ride faster then you need something more structured than if you are just doing it to keep fit, strong and toned.
    Personally I have a couple of kettlebells (20kg and 24kg) and a sandbag (currently about 34kg but I have extra sand) and that's it.
    I focus on big, compound exercises such as kb snatches, long cycle kb clean and press or sandbag cleans rather than isolating muscles - but there are a lot of things you can do with just a few weights.
    Additionally, maybe a pull-up bar would be helpful.
  • ^^This^^
    Pretty similar to me.
    Kettlebells, D-ball, chin up bar, dip bar and calisthenics.
    Anything else is for show.
    I have put a squat rack in too, but I could easily find myriads of exercises to do that would work every muscle in the body using the basics.
    Chuck a bit of yoga in for good measure and that's everything covered £300ish.

My favourite exercise presently is this

https://youtube.com/watch?v=vxpkFHPBsFQ&ab_channel=HotDogsCupCakes

Keep going until your lungs are bleeding :lol:

Nothing better for all round fitness.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    My preference would be similar to above.

Chin up bar - stick with it I find chin ups/pull ups in middle age are hard.

Bench with dumbbells.

Squat rack though my knees don't like squatting with much weight.

Matt for floor exercises

Heavy punch bag.

Mirrors on 1 wall .

That along with a bike on a turbo would pretty much do me.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    edited November 2020
    The problem with pull ups is they can f*ck your elbows if you do them on a regular basis
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,624
    A C2 is a lot of kit for the money, but you need to know how ro use it. Yes it is also cardio but uses many other muscle groups and another option is good.

Rumour has it Zwift is developing a rowing option. Just saying...