Wednesday's child is full of pineapple

'Ning
Woke up in pain from my back for reasons unknown. It seemed to have got better so don't know what's upset it.

Morning run probably cancelled as a result so probably just WFH in between procuring painkillers.

Comments

• lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Morning, no fog this morning, still feeling mild, just about to walk the dog that’s if he will get up.
    Cycling , gardening, just the usual
    Hope the back improves thistle
    Have a good day
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Up early for me, to fit in a pre-work ride with a school dad who seems to have been bitten by the bike bug. He did the London to Brighton on a 17kg mountain bike, but promptly went out and bought a 2nd hand carbon Rose road bike, and is now riding all the time. Having a partner or somewhere to get to always gives me motivation, so could be good for my weight!
  • hopkinb
    ^^^
    Bloody insomniacs.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,082
    hopkinb said:

^^^
    Bloody insomniacs.

😂
  • tlw1
    Nice walk with hounds wearing some of my running gear to test it in advance of the weekend.

Work stuff and should really start pulling kit together, realised I need 3 sets of batteries for the night section which is pants
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    If we’re having some nice morning walks/rides, could we pop a pic on here please like step the other day.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,128
    'ning

thought i'd sleep-posted for a moment

lazy start, cafe stroll for takeaway and paper, wfh, may ride later
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • seanoconn
    tlw1 said:

hopkinb said:

^^^
    Bloody insomniacs.

😂
    Yeah, what the hell 😂
  • tlw1

How’s that
  • seanoconn
    tlw1 said:

How’s that

Fan bloody tastic! Thanks 😃
  • seanoconn
    oxoman said:

Moaning all. OH deposited at work, Mutt walked and not so young oxo embarrassed as walked part way to school with him. Luckily his mates didn't see him. Another lazy day doing DIY. Seems to be a new thread opened up for the elderly, infirm or injured on here, suspect it may be popular. ;)
    Currently John Major outside and no fog.

I normally give my boys a hug and a kiss outside the school gates to heighten their embarrassment 😂
  •   Good moaning, feel surprisingly fresh this morning after a bit of a lie-in. Surprising because I went on a longish ride yesterday during daylight hours and I thought I’d overdone it a little and would suffer. B) (no pubs involved)
      Damp here today, mild though. Not a lot on today, well nothing planed, I may wash the filthy bike later or is it better not to? Not sure. My cuppa tastes really good this morning :)
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,089
    Windy and wet here.
    coughing a bit after yesterday's effort in rain and wind. That'll teach me, pretending to be well hard Flandrian.

Must go sort a leak.

Laters.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Got stuff to do, jobs to finish off and carp to dispose of.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Morning folks,
    Another day of wfh with a healthy dose of cba thrown in. There's a new girl starting today, but she's in the office and i'm here so have no idea what she's like. I've asked for pictures to be sent through.
    Saw Seano's aches and pains thread, I could get really dull on that one :smiley:
    If he wants pictures of my walk this morning it would be a fairly dull stairway with strategically placed obstacles.
    hopkinb said:

^^^
    Bloody insomniacs.

I thought you'd posted too early, the others must have still been gonig from last night.
  • Sunny start, turned into a bit of a scorcher (for here anyway) just over 30 deg C. Dog walked, but no pics today. Cleaned up shed a bit, put tools away. Changed bar on Open # 2 bike to new extra-wide carbon jobbie to try. Fettled Lefty as the last time I rode it the shifting was rubbish and the drivetrain was making all kinds of noise. Seems the axle had decided to wind its way to one side and the wheel was slipping in the dropout.

Fixed that, re-tuned shifting, adjusted brakes and went for a slow ride, mostly sorted, but I really don't liked clutched derailleurs... bl00dy noisy things.

Pulled more weeds to fill bin for tomorrow.

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,605
    Bah, getting up before sunrise should be illegal unless you're catching a holiday flight.

Busy-ish day to day with random meetings, but on the upside HR told us that we don't need to do half year staff reviews as there are bigger priorities. Have they only just noticed, it's been like that since HR existed...

Anyhow, day off tomorrow as we've been told we have to use up our annual leave so happy to oblige :smile:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    Stevo_666 said:

Bah, getting up before sunrise should be illegal unless you're catching a holiday flight.

Busy-ish day to day with random meetings, but on the upside HR told us that we don't need to do half year staff reviews as there are bigger priorities. Have they only just noticed, it's been like that since HR existed...

Anyhow, day off tomorrow as we've been told we have to use up our annual leave so happy to oblige :smile:

We were told that earlier in the year because for some reason the bean counters seemed to think we were sitting around doing nothing. It means I've only got a total of 5 days leave to use over Christmas, including the bit between Christmas and New Year :angry:
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

We were told that earlier in the year because for some reason the bean counters seemed to think we were sitting around doing nothing. It means I've only got a total of 5 days leave to use over Christmas, including the bit between Christmas and New Year :angry:
    Its all about holiday accrual for us, which they can release when people book their hols. Already booked my Xmas days off and will add a couple to get the full fortnight once I know when we're doing student retrieval taxi services.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • hopkinb
    They close down over Christmas at our place. No annual leave required. This year it closes midday on Christmas Eve and reopens on the 4th Jan. 4.5 days annual leave required for 16 days off. I think it's so the expats get a good long stint back at home, but not sure they can travel this year.
  • Stevo_666
    hopkinb said:

They close down over Christmas at our place. No annual leave required. This year it closes midday on Christmas Eve and reopens on the 4th Jan. 4.5 days annual leave required for 16 days off. I think it's so the expats get a good long stint back at home, but not sure they can travel this year.

TBF I only need 3 days to get the same stint off and I'm not short of holiday allowance after this year.

I take it you're not getting the violin out for the expats?
  • hopkinb
    Stevo_666 said:

I take it you're not getting the violin out for the expats?

I feel for my boss actually, his daughter will be 20, and I think that's like 21 here, so a significant birthday, his mum is also suffering from Alzheimer's, his wife died a couple of years ago, so he's on his own here, and he's not been back home since last January.

Actually, any of them who are here on their own with family back in Japan, if they can't then go and visit anyone here, it'll be pretty miserable. They'll probably spend the holiday working from home...
  • hopkinb
    Thought of sungod while completing today's Guardian cryptic over lunch.

Long drink contains very soft fruit (9).
  • FFS, all this talk about time off at Christmas.
    Every day is like Groundhog day right now, 12 hour days, 7 days a week.
    OH is whittling about wanting to see her folks at Xmas, they're down in Gerrards Cross, but with OH being hospital based for work, she's slowly coming to the conclusion that it'll be a no-go, so now it's all about maximising her pay rates for the big day.
    Me? I'll just do my normal 12 hour day as usual. No Boxing Day charity raft race to look forward to, nor any footie to watch either.
    Can't wait for it to be all over for another year, tbh.
    Bah-humbug!
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,197
    This Wednesday's child is full of aches. Long and hard work day, physical stuff see, all you desk jockeys...

Particularly brutal session in the morning, should have been easy, planting up some perennials into these new flower beds client had created for her in her lawn by the crew that cut her grass for her. Cowboys. Didn't prep properly, simply lifted the turf, chucked over a few cm of compost and legged it, leaving a solid layer of stones large and small, brick, you name it. Must have been either a building there or some roadway / track at some time in the past. Took bleeping hours.

I deserve a beer. Right, off to pour one.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    orraloon said:

This Wednesday's child is full of aches.

Seano has started a thread for you on this over in cake stop

• hopkinb
    orraloon said:

Here you go 'loon. The king of cold ones. Imported, not brewed under license.

• hopkinb
    orraloon said:

This Wednesday's child is full of aches. Long and hard work day, physical stuff see, all you desk jockeys...

I see your point, but being a middle man between German advisors and Japanese business guys, with the complexity and nuance of German tax law, and the Japanese hierarchy, and endless repetition of the same questions, makes for the brain to ache, and for the advisor's fees to be high. Not my cost centre, but if they'd just let go, we could deal with it.

• Stevo_666
    hopkinb said:

orraloon said:

I see your point, but being a middle man between German advisors and Japanese business guys, with the complexity and nuance of German tax law, and the Japanese hierarchy, and endless repetition of the same questions, makes for the brain to ache, and for the advisor's fees to be high. Not my cost centre, but if they'd just let go, we could deal with it.

Cut out the middle man and tell them to deal direct, they should get on just fine. As long as nobody mentions Ze Var...
  • seanoconn
    hopkinb said:

orraloon said:

Here you go 'loon. The king of cold ones. Imported, not brewed under license.

I’m out of most things drinkable so I’m experimenting with some Jack Daniels and Lychee liqueur for a bit of sweetness. Surprisingly it’s not very nice.