Dylan Groenewegen Suspended until May 2021

Comments

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    zest28 said:

webboo said:

Given he or she is a triathlete I wonder if they would agree that verging off your line and giving someone a kick or whack on the head in the swim. What would be the sanctions of such behaviour as it clearly effects the outcome of races.

Getting kicked or whacked in the head during the swim is really, really common. It is very difficult *not* to get hit in the head during an open water swim in most events...

It's also not usually a huge deal either.
    Smashing someone in the barriers on purpose at 80kmh and by accident kicking someone in the head in swimming are two different things.

Especially since the 1st case is lethal and Dylan knew exactly what he was doing.

I mean, yes, that was the point I was making...
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    'anging's too good for 'em
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • gregster04
    gregster04 Posts: 1,680
    The UCI can sanction Groenewegen as much as they like but what are they going to do the next time they sanction a downhill sprint with barriers that aren’t fit for purpose and someone gets hurt whilst Groenewegen is sat at home?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    UCI officially announce this suspension today. No transparency whatsoever on who made the decision, and what rules they based it on.
  • salsiccia1
    edited November 2020
    Typical horseshit from the UCI. Punishing the consequences and not the incident, and hardly a peep about the safety issues that led to the injuries being so bad.
  • salsiccia1
    Anyway, the precedent has been set now. I look forward to seeing a large number of sprinters taking a seat for months at a time after switching lines.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    smh. Cycling world has turned against sprinters
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,564
    What a fucking bullshit decision. Entirely typical of the clowns at the UCI.

Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    seems fair enough to me.
  • salsiccia1
    edited November 2020
    david37 said:

seems fair enough to me.

Genuine question: Would you have agreed with Alaphilippe getting a lengthy ban for his flick in LBL? It was a dangerous move off his line, just without the disastrous consequences. Or the Ackermann move in Schelderprijs? That one did see a bad crash.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    edited November 2020

david37 said:

seems fair enough to me.

Genuine question: Would you have agreed with Alaphilippe getting a lengthy ban for his flick in LBL? It was a dangerous move off his line, just without the disastrous consequences. Or the Ackermann move in Schelderprijs? That one did see a bad crash.
    I thought Alaphilippe should have been DQ or banned for that move yes. it was dangerous and cynical. I havent seen the Ackermann move so i cant comment
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    What I can't get my head fully around is that when riders are DQ'd their opponents who benefit are typically tearing into the DQ'd rider as being "dangerous" and "at that speed there could be an horrendous accident" and many people agree with that position.

So we get what was pretty close to being that "horrendous accident" and the penalty given out is inconsistent with the penalty when there is no horrendous accident.

Obviously the organisers of that specific race with those barriers, that finish etc are significantly culpable, but irrespective of how they contributed no-one really argues that D was in the right.

There should be penalties which encourage riders not to endanger others. A DQ doesn't do that, but a ban does. But by that logic, more riders should be getting banned, and we'd meet somewhere in the middle between the length applied to D and the length applied to DQs where the behaviour was just as bad, but the consequence wasn't.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • Seems like it isn't going to end with this hefty suspension as somebody wants his day in court.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/deceuninck-quickstep-proceeding-with-legal-action-against-groenewegen-for-jakobsen-crash/
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey

Seems like it isn't going to end with this hefty suspension as somebody wants his day in court.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/deceuninck-quickstep-proceeding-with-legal-action-against-groenewegen-for-jakobsen-crash/

Hmmmm.

I mean JA is on their never mind
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    edited November 2020
    It's a different sport and a different jurisdiction, but a while back the footballer Paul Elliott tried to sue Dean Saunders for genuinely awful tackle that did real damage to his career. He didn't win. If it's a sporting event within the usual realm of that sport, then it's unlikely to succeed. I'd expect this to fail and DQS must think that too.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490

Seems like it isn't going to end with this hefty suspension as somebody wants his day in court.

Hmmmm.

I mean JA is on their never mind
    You would think that if they are consistent they would have at least slapped him with an internal ban or maybe terminated his contract. His move was more deliberate if anything just not in a 40 odd mile an hour downhill bunch sprint.

Will bring a bit of friction between DQS and JV I should think if it goes ahead, that might spice things up.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    edited November 2020
    Good News!

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    Excellent
  • rick_chasey
    Lots of Jakobsen in the Dutch press - interviews etc.

Wants to be racing in March, feels bad for Dylan, grizzly surgery details the usual good bloke story.

Seems to have recovered well.
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408

Lots of Jakobsen in the Dutch press - interviews etc.

Wants to be racing in March, feels bad for Dylan, grizzly surgery details the usual good bloke story.

Seems to have recovered well.

I read the one where he said he hadn't spoken to him, because he wasn't ready/ is still too angry. Doesn't seem like he feels bad for him, and neither should he. DG got everything he deserved. Risking lives for a Tour of Poland stage win.
  • rick_chasey
    Link?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    Think you've spun it quite well Rick, At the moment, Fabio doesn't even have teeth...

This is the one I read - https://www.ad.nl/wielrennen/jakobsen-doet-zijn-indrukwekkende-verhaal-elke-keer-dacht-ik-dit-is-t-ik-ga-dood-br~ab4edd99/
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    Yes I read the same.

• "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • neonriver
    neonriver Posts: 228
    edited January 2021

Sending a noose in the post to Groenewegen, great job with the social media pile on 🙄
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,579
    That's beyond disgusting isn't it - I can't really figure out what kind of twisted mind you would need to have to send that AND to say it's for the person's child.

Mind boggling, but these 'people' walk amongst us.

I imagine no chance of the sender being traced :-(
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • rick_chasey
    edited May 2021
    Yikes

Fabio very unhappy DG went public on their meeting (with lawyers in attendance...!)

DG not taking blame, sounds like Fabio wants to sue

• gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,564
    Christ. Sounded like they’d made up but clearly not.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    I think Dylan hasn't apologised as Jacob wants to pursue damages. Doesn't want to accept liability.

Or he's an utter utter **** - which I don't think is the case