How bad is this carbon frame damage?

I just received a brand new Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra, and there's damage to the headtube.

Now, normally I'd return this without thinking about it (bike was ordered online). But because of the Covid situation this seems be the last bike of this make and model left on the planet, so I might have to wait months for a replacement.

Image attached. Can someone with knowledge of carbon frames assess whether this is just cosmetic or if it could result in more structural issues?

The damage is about the size of a little finger nail. Looks like someone tried to patch up a hole at the factory before the frame was painted — and didn't do a very good job.

Thanks,

Comments

• davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,095
    Not great on a new frame. I would sand it with some wet and dry and blow over with a bit of laquer - get a pro to do it if you don't feel competent.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    I wouldn't want to receive a new frame like that, that's not good.

But from a safety aspect, as I have many chips like that on my carbon frame that I've been riding pretty much every day since 2011, I wouldn't worry about it at all.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    edited November 2020
    Approach Cannondale* and see what they say, don't do anything to it until you've had their approval. Probably not a problem, but I wouldn't be happy to get a new frame like that.

* who you bought it from rather than Cannondale I should say.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    It looks like a paint/lacquer blemish to me, nothing to be worried about, but I'd be getting a few quid compo.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Sarden
    Sarden Posts: 16
    @veronese68 Thanks, I did. Cannondale's support just told me to sort it out with the shop, and the shop just told me to return the bike. And that was the end of that.

There's a higher res version of the image here: https://i.imgur.com/W1D0dPa.jpg.

It doesn't look entirely superficial. There are several small indentations in the carbon. But I know next to nothing about carbon, so can assess how serious it is.

• david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    Sarden said:

@veronese68 Thanks, I did. Cannondale's support just told me to sort it out with the shop, and the shop just told me to return the bike. And that was the end of that.

There's a higher res version of the image here: https://i.imgur.com/W1D0dPa.jpg.

It doesn't look entirely superficial. There are several small indentations in the carbon. But I know next to nothing about carbon, so can assess how serious it is.

Are they able to get you a replacement?
  • Sarden
    @david37 No. It’s out of stock in that shop now, and nothing about when it might be back. And can’t find it anywhere else.
  • Ben6899
    I'd keep a hold of it, if it's not too late.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • david37
    Sarden said:

@david37 No. It’s out of stock in that shop now, and nothing about when it might be back. And can’t find it anywhere else.

aghhhhhh try sigmasport
  • Ben6899
    Expensive bike, I imagine? Given current lead times, you could have something custom built in steel.

That's if you go down the giving it back to the shop route.
    Ben

• Sarden
    edited November 2020
    Thanks to everybody for your comments. Have decided to send it back. It's too depressing to pay that much for a bike and then have noticeable damage on it from day 1.

I will just have to wait until there's stock somewhere — or perhaps choose another bike.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    I'd send it back, even with the current wait times for a replacement. Reason being it is an expensive bike which will likely be your pride and joy. Yes it will get marks through usage but you will be responsible for causing those, and they will occur by riding the bike, not through a manufacturing defect or transit damage.
  • Sarden
    @redvision Exactly how I feel. Bicycles are beautiful objects. I want to love this bike and I can't fully if we start our relationship like this :) ...
  • ignore it
    left the forum March 2023
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    edited November 2020
    I'd keep it having lived a similar experience.

I found the same on my bike (albeit it was second hand but still bloody expensive).

After initially finding a number of chips and marks I was so upset and considered a complete respray.

I didn't go through with it and I've since had a couple of years of fantastic riding and memories I've forgotten about them.
  • I'd keep it having lived a similar experience.

I found the same on my bike (albeit it was second hand but still bloody expensive).

After initially finding a number of chips and marks I was so upset and considered a complete respray.

I didn't go through with it and I've since had a couple of years of fantastic riding and memories I've forgotten about them.

I agree, however, the OP sounds more like someone who likes to look at his bike rather than ride his bike
  • Sarden
    @ugo.santalucia Why are you getting snarky? I appreciate beautiful objects, and I like riding bicycles. If you don't care abut looks, well okay then, but it doesn't have to be either or.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    annoying to have received it like that - and as I see, you've decided to send it back.

it's unlikely to be structural, so you could just ride it - the inference of those saying keep and ride is that it'll soon get chipped anyway and it won't make any difference to the physical ride quality.
    Yes - chips & scratches are annoying - but it's down to the individual as to how annoying those are - personally, I don't worry too much, but then my bikes are not expensive and I'd rather ride them. My sons bike, which is expensive for a 5yo, I'd rather he rode and enjoyed, rather than worry about scratching it - although I do get a little cross if he just throws it down ....
  • Sarden said:

@ugo.santalucia Why are you getting snarky? I appreciate beautiful objects, and I like riding bicycles. If you don't care abut looks, well okay then, but it doesn't have to be either or.

I am not snarky, I am just commenting on your comments... and I stand by my comment, in that based on your comments .... :s , you seem more interested in the look of the bike than anything else...
    If you were more interested in riding it, you would accept it's just cosmetic and ride your bike today... instead you prefer to return it and wait for weeks or months until you get a replacement (as you say, not in stock)... that informs us on where your priorities are, that's all... no judgement... it's your bike, do as you think it's best
  • Sarden said:

I am not snarky, I am just commenting on your comments... and I stand by my comment, in that based on your comments .... :s , you seem more interested in the look of the bike than anything else...
    If you were more interested in riding it, you would accept it's just cosmetic and ride your bike today... instead you prefer to return it and wait for weeks or months until you get a replacement (as you say, not in stock)... that informs us on where your priorities are, that's all... no judgement... it's your bike, do as you think it's best
    +1
    Frank Yates
  • Sarden
    edited November 2020
    @ugo.santalucia Just out of curiosity: If you had decided to part with a fair bit of money to buy yourself a brand new Porsche, and said Porsche was delivered with a patched-up hole in the bonnet, and no discount was offered to you as compensation, would you take the car out on the road with a smile because it's all about the driving, or would you — albeit briefly — consider sending it back to the shop?

(You may replace "Porsche" with whatever expensive car you'd like to own).
  • Sarden said:

@ugo.santalucia Just out of curiosity: If you had decided to part with a fair bit of money to buy yourself a brand new Porsche, and said Porsche was delivered with a patched-up hole in the bonnet, and no discount was offered to you as compensation, would you take the car out on the road with a smile because it's all about the driving, or would you — albeit briefly — consider sending it back to the shop?

It's a different scenario and not a realistic one, because you could simply ask the dealer to fix it. I would probably try to get some money for it... even better. But if the alternative was to stay without the car for months, I would most likely reach a deal of some sort. There is always a deal to be had.
    Did the shop not offer you a discount, along the lines of 50 quid off or something? Or maybe a free pair of tyres or something? Take it!

Trust me, I have been obsessive about my bike in the past and there is no joy in it, only grief... you will never be happy and will be constantly wasting money on cosmetic upgrades, which will never satisfy you in the long run.... you will be sad every time there is a tiny scratch or dent, which WILL happen. If you let go of this OCD and take the bike for what it is, so a way to have fun outdoors, then you will be much happier.... find something else to collect, maybe something cycling related... I collect photos of myself, there you go, look at this one, isn't it awesome? If it gets scratched I can buy a new print of it

• Sarden
    @ugo.santalucia Appreciate it. That was a more useful answer. I very much agree that OCD can get in the way of enjoying things, so good point. No offer from the shop, though, even after fishing for one. That contributes to me being miffed, of course.
  • david37
    Sarden said:

@ugo.santalucia Appreciate it. That was a more useful answer. I very much agree that OCD can get in the way of enjoying things, so good point. No offer from the shop, though, even after fishing for one. That contributes to me being miffed, of course.

Did you piss them off some way are are they bereft of commonsense and customer care? I would want a customer to go away satisfied, (not by throwing money at them because there is precious little)
  • agree, very strange... normally they would be able to reach a deal... like giving you goods (rather than cash)... things like a pair of pedals when you buy a new bike (which typically comes without), or maybe spare tyres, or a spare cassette or some posh bar tape or a better saddle.... pair of nice winter gloves...
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,701
    Couldn't disagree more Ugo. There is some good old cyclist reverse snobbery going on here.

It is new, it is expensive. OP perfectly reasonable to want it perfect even just for a short while.

A netter analogy would be picking up ypur Porche with a scuffed alloy. Ypu are bound to kerb it eventually so why worry?
  • Couldn't disagree more Ugo. There is some good old cyclist reverse snobbery going on here.

It is new, it is expensive. OP perfectly reasonable to want it perfect even just for a short while.

A netter analogy would be picking up ypur Porche with a scuffed alloy. Ypu are bound to kerb it eventually so why worry?

It's the practicality of it... if you have to wait several weeks.... of course I always look at things from the point of view of someone who only has one road bike and having to live without it because of a blemish, seems a colossal waste of my time, but if you have a collection, then sure, you can send it back and wait for a replacement.

Same would apply to a vehicle, obviously...
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

Couldn't disagree more Ugo. There is some good old cyclist reverse snobbery going on here.

... of course I always look at things from the point of view of someone who is a complete tight ar*e.
    FTFY

• david37

I dont think he's saying that and if you look at the kit Ugo rides I'd have to class him as a bit a bike tart :)

The point i think he's making is that by returning the bike he's cutting his nose off to spite his face because there wont be a replacement. totally different from your analogy re the porsche because the dealer can sort out the issues quickly. The ccycle dealer in this case cannot.

I understand if the op doesnt want a product with a minor paint blemish and that the blemish may diminish the initial pleasure but Ugo is right, the inital pleasure is soon added to by the pleasure you get from owning it and using it. (if the owner intends to use it)

Right now its not a cake and eat it situation.

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,669
    I think the analogy is when you discover your stunningly gorgeous new girlfriend has a weirdy wart in the groin area. You have to ask yourself “can I live with it?”

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.