Tour de France 2021 presentation tonight

Comments

• Pross said:

DeadCalm said:

What's up with deadcalm?

Personally, I'm not a big fan of theft. If you're comfortable with it, well, that's up to you.
    I'm pretty sure I saw you join in the thanks for the Tour spoiler threads. Are you honestly saying you've only just realised the information has been collated from other places around the Internet?
    Farq, are you saying he doesn't spend the off season scouting all routes, sampling all the food, taking photos etc just for the benefit of a bicyclist sub-forum? What a lazy git.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    Pross said:

DeadCalm said:

What's up with deadcalm?

Personally, I'm not a big fan of theft. If you're comfortable with it, well, that's up to you.
    I'm pretty sure I saw you join in the thanks for the Tour spoiler threads. Are you honestly saying you've only just realised the information has been collated from other places around the Internet?
    I've known for a while but was taken in for quite some time. I remember there was even a time when he was defending the 'Favourites for the Stage' as though they were his own picks rather than just admitting that he'd copied the from Cyclingstage. I'm reasonably sure I haven't liked or thanked Blazing for any of the Tour spoiler threads since I realised it was a complete cut-and paste job.

If there is nothing wrong with what he is doing, Blazing will have no doubt sought permission from the owners of the material? Of course he hasn't.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,789
    Meh.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744

Has their even been a "hill-climb" stage?

Purely from memory, and my memory aint the best, but I seem to recall Ulrich vs Armstrong on a TT that was just one climb - and Ulrich doing it on a TT bike. But as I say I'm not one for remembering the minutiae.

Now you suggest it though a good old British 3 minute hill climb would make a good prologue.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Has their even been a "hill-climb" stage?

Purely from memory, and my memory aint the best, but I seem to recall Ulrich vs Armstrong on a TT that was just one climb - and Ulrich doing it on a TT bike. But as I say I'm not one for remembering the minutiae.

Now you suggest it though a good old British 3 minute hill climb would make a good prologue.
    Could this be the stage you were thinking of back in 2001?
    Not quite just the climb only, but certainly had the protagonists.

2004 had the ITT up Alp d'Huez, which only had about 3kms of flat before the climb and both Armstrong and Ullrich.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • The 2016 Dauphine had that 4km(?) hillclimb out of Les Gets for a prologue.
  • poweredbyidris
    poweredbyidris Posts: 848
    edited November 2020

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    edited November 2020

Has their even been a "hill-climb" stage?

Could this be the stage you were thinking of back in 2001?
    Not quite just the climb only, but certainly had the protagonists.

2004 had the ITT up Alp d'Huez, which only had about 3kms of flat before the climb and both Armstrong and Ullrich.
    Thanks - I think it is probably the Alpe D'Huez TT and he actually had clip on aero bars rather than a TT bike.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,931

The Les Gets climb looked horrific - I rode paet of it and after what felt like 2 kms at 15+% I turned a hairpin and it didn't relent. I turned around, my excuse being it was the day after the 2016 Etape!
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    DeadCalm said:

What's up with deadcalm?

Is that avatar your pic? Even if it’s out of copyright then you should acknowledge source.

[mine is my own photograph]

• DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    Mad_Malx said:

DeadCalm said:

What's up with deadcalm?

Is that avatar your pic? Even if it’s out of copyright then you should acknowledge source.

[mine is my own photograph]

I was going to walk away from this but, as you insist...

The picture is of Lucien Petit-Breton, an amazing cyclist and fantastic character who died more than 100 years ago. I recommend looking into his story. I found the picture on Wikipedia, meaning that it is out of copyright. There is no credit for the photographer that I can find, otherwise I would be delighted to sing it to the hills.

In any event, your post totally misses the point of what copyright is supposed to be about. Copyright was designed to give creators a reasonable period of time* to enjoy and exploit the fruits of their efforts before those works became public property. Whoever the photographer of my avatar was, he has hopefully already benefitted from his magnificent picture. Compare and contrast with the good folk on Cyclingstage.com whose work is ripped off within days by BS.

But, this isn't a debate on morality, it is a question of law. BS is infringing copyright. The owners of the copyright could sue him and the owners of the forum and would be successful. That is guaranteed; not up for debate. On top of that, whilst I haven't read the terms and conditions of the forum (life is too short), I'm pretty sure there will be a rule against posting anything that infringes copyright. If the forum police found out what BS is doing, there is a good chance that he would be banned, which would be a bad thing because, although he is a troll a lot of the time and I wish that he'd post links to copyright material rather than cutting and pasting, I am also willing to concede that he provides a lot of positive content to the forum.

* current periods are excessive and are designed to protect multi-national corporations rather than creators, but that's another discussion.

Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • Are you sure about your legal point and whether it affects copyrights?

I am not sure but I don't think it does.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,112
    As soon as you post anything on a forum, you've given the forum owner permission to use your work, i.e. they can choose to delete it or edit it without your permission in line with their moderation policies.

So you need to have a good understanding of the terms and conditions on a forum where something is posted before you can assert anything around copyright. As Dead Calm has already asserted that "life is too short" to read the t's and c's, I think Blazing Saddles is on safe ground, legally.
  • Yeah but in DC's defence, what BS posts isn't on a forum - the writer is often a paid employee of a website which owns its content.

My view is that BS isn't doing anything underhand for personal commercial gain (although I concede the forum does by extra page visits).
  • pblakeney
    Well, we will know who to thank should there be no appearance of these threads next year. Great, just great...
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    He could just post the link and credit it.

I don't really care to be fair.
  • He could just post the link and credit it.

I don't really care to be fair.

Far easier if somebody just posts a link to another forum's thread or site preview, no?
    Avoids any copyright hassle for this forum altogether.
  • pblakeney
    I'm liking that there are various graphs on this thread.
    None of them are credited. 🤣🤣🤣
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    French Fighter was another one who was accused of plagiarism for the photos he used to post here. But I used to look at a lot more cycling photography and then go and find more by the photographers - even buying a couple of prints. I've done this a lot less since FF stopped posting because I just don't have the time or energy to look around at all different cycling photography sites.

Similarly, I know that I can find the info that BS provides but I really only use BRPR to follow procycling with an occasional dip into CN and INRNG. If he didn't post the spoiler threads it would be another loss...
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    dish_dash said:

Similarly, I know that I can find the info that BS provides but I really only use BRPR to follow procycling with an occasional dip into CN and INRNG. If he didn't post the spoiler threads it would be another loss...

Agree totally. I love the threads and they have sent me off to look deeper into stage locations etc. elsewhere, often the original sites.

The crux of it for me is:
    - is he pretending it's his stuff? No
    - is he trying to make money out of it? No
    - is it likely to stop the original creator of the content making money out of it? I'd suggest no.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • I agree but it's no harm to post a link to the source
  • pblakeney said:

I'm liking that there are various graphs on this thread.
    None of them are credited. 🤣🤣🤣

My bad again.
    I am a lost cause.
    Credit goes PCS archives for the one I posted. ;)
    In the meantime, three other members hooked by two profiles. :#

How will the Cake Stop survive I wonder?
  • I agree but it's no harm to post a link to the source

The job is open if you want it.

I won't be posting any links, as I won't be posting any race threads: period.
  • pblakeney
    👏👏👏 Well done Deadcalm. Well done. 👏👏👏

Slow sarcastic handclaps in case of doubt. Will be sadly missed.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    I always did wonder what throwing the baby out with the bathwater meant... ;)
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342

I agree but it's no harm to post a link to the source

The job is open if you want it.

I won't be posting any links, as I won't be posting any race threads: period.
    Take a minute. Or even a few nights.
    When climbing Ventoux, you can't just give in because you got doused with urine once. Even if it was (overly) righteous urine.
    Plenty more had musettes of support for you. This should be fun for you and not just us reading your threads, so I understand whatever you decide; but sometimes armchair cycling is like cycling. You must persevere through the hardships. ;)

I completely understand that tensions are high after rozzer32, the Roglic of PTP won the world championship again with his tedious and boring picks! :wink:
    Clearly you are all irate and reduced to tears of utter despondency that I, scrappy underdog that I am, was dethroned momentarily in this weird, compressed season.
    However, I shall not shirk from it and rise again as the people's champion. Rebel against the empire. Steal hearts and skirts of(f) many a lass. So refrain from dejection! We are in this armchair journey together and even if there are occasional squabbles, we stick it out together with Belgian ale, Dutch cheese, salted riffled chips (crisps) and other watts/kg destroying delectations.
    Let's all do a Paris or London meetup (whenever that is possible again) and both DeadCalm and you can buy me a gin & tonic and toast to my health. Like it should be! ;):p
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • Apologies if I came across as unsupportive - I didn't mean that at all!

I love reading the threads and totally uselessly often gave them a 'like'.

I was more saying so to appease DC that a link underneath may calm his ridiculous bleating.

I agree wholeheartedly with Sausage's bleatings at 14:31
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Blazing your threads are best thing on here.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,861
    Feeling testy ? Lockdowns getting to you?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • flite
    flite Posts: 219
    Blazing's threads are the main reason I look at this forum.
    Having only been out of the UK once (Finland - Rally of the Thousand Lakes in 1972), my knowledge of the place is lamentable. The colourful stage and race previews bring the route to life. Of course we accept a lot is cut and paste, but I would never go and find that information myself. Be a huge loss if they do not appear next year.