French teacher killed

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,691

Far right's dream this story - makes it doubly unfortunate

Why is it always only a far right dream story in your view?
    I'm sure far left regimes are just as keen to clamp down on islamist extremeists.
    Perhaps you need to start looking both ways, not just one all the time!

For the sake of integration and living comfortably side by side, various cultures in the west, such as lampooning religion needs to be accepted by those choosing to make their homes in western Europe.
    Islamophobia is a feature of the far right not left is it not?

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,923

I'm sure far left regimes are just as keen to clamp down on islamist extremeists.

For the sake of integration and living comfortably side by side, various cultures in the west, such as lampooning religion needs to be accepted by those choosing to make their homes in western Europe.

It is a feature of the extremes on both sides surely.
    And regligous based terrorism concerns plenty in the centre too as the extremist aim is to overturn the way life is led.
  • rick_chasey

And regligous based terrorism concerns plenty in the centre too as the extremist aim is to overturn the way life is led.
    look, it's clearly something that is specific to the far right both in terms of Islamophobia concerns about multicultralism as well as concerns around cancel culture and free speech.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744

It's opposition to religious censorship of public life really - calling it Islamophobia is a very loaded term designed to shut down debate.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • rick_chasey

It's opposition to religious censorship of public life really - calling it Islamophobia is a very loaded term designed to shut down debate.

let's not get too high and mighty here, this is clearly a 21st century feature of extremist Islam which is not seen in other religions in Europe currently.

You are naive if you think this does not play into existing islamophobic tropes

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,616

Tell that to the Uighurs...
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    How is calling it what it is getting high and mighty?

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • I imagine a devout follower of any religion would see their beliefs on a par with others believing in the existence of the holocaust. Therefore surely it would be appropriate to compare religious deniers with holocaust deniers?
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,547
    edited October 2020

yep

insulting someone's imaginary friend is not a crime, all religions are fair game in this respect, after all, many religions at least discriminate against or denigrate non-believers, some religious texts explicitly encourage far worse

humanity has put up with the religious of many persuasions robbing, enslaving, oppressing, and slaughtering in the names of their various imaginary friends for way too long

if someone wants to believe in a religion, fine, but that must always be on the basis that they need to respect the fact that their belief confers no legitimate rights on them to constrain, judge, attack or otherwise impact others
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,540
    I had a shortlist of 2 candidates for starting this thread when I first heard it on the news.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313

nickice said:

nickice said:

Teacher thinks the only way to teach freedom of expression is to be offsensive - bad

A group of people think there are better ways to teach these things and try to address the matter through the school - good

Another group of people just kill the teacher - very bad

I did once discuss Salman Rushie with an Islamic scholar who believed he should die. Was quite interesting.

Not much point in teaching freedom of expression if you can't give real-world examples.

If you showed Jewish students Nazi propaganda would you be being offensive or, if it were in the context of a class, would it be acceptable ? I suppose the closest analogy would be the complaints about that journalist saying censored even though it was reporting what someone had said.

He said Muslim students could leave the room if they wanted. I think he shouldn't have done it but only as it wasnt worth the personal risk to him.

I think a better analogy would be wanting to teach holocaust denial as part of freedom of expression, and making it ok by asking the Jewish kids to leave the room.

I also think you confuse teaching at universities with teaching at schools.

Anyway, the teacher is going to be honoured.
    My analogy was based on the fact that if someone uses a racial slur as an insult(or a specific racial slur) from some quarters it's seen as being as bad (or almost as bad) to repeat that word when reporting the story (even if it's an integral part of the story). It was the same with Charlie Hebdo. The cartoons were an integral part of the story.

I fail to see how your analogy is really an analogy. Teaching holocaust denial would be teaching that something didn't happen when it clearly did. If a teacher wants to teach that even holocaust deniers have a right to freedom of expression (which, ironically, they don't in France) then that's fine. The whole point of the class, to me, would be that freedom of expression is about ideas you might personally find offensive.

Can you imagine that; 'I'm going to teach you that freedom of expression is about accepting that some people might have ideas you find offensive but I'm not going to show you a clear, contemporary example as some of you may find it offensive.'

Whether a French middle school is the right place to do that, I don't know but he had, apparently, done it as part of the class before.

I read this largely as agreement with what I wrote. You got there in the end with holocaust denial, and "whether a French middle school is the right place" shows signs that you know it is probably not the right place.
    What better place to teach children about the values of the society than a school. I dont understand why you are saying otherwise Beanie.
  • rick_chasey
    mrb123 said:

Tell that to the Uighurs...
    Sure.

It’s a European context.
  • david37

Islamaphobia is labeled far right to demonise it. The left on the other hand appear love all the bits of Islam that are anti society. Right up to the point their children are ripped apart at a concert and even then there are still the yes but comments.

• Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,916

I imagine a devout follower of any religion would see their beliefs on a par with others believing in the existence of the holocaust. Therefore surely it would be appropriate to compare religious deniers with holocaust deniers?

I think there is a level of faith with religious beliefs which is slightly different from having shared/commonly accepted historical events.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,620
    Pross said:

I had a shortlist of 2 candidates for starting this thread when I first heard it on the news.

I'm intriged who has liked every post.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,320

Pross said:

Are you not playing the guess who has liked a post game? Its a bit too easy, but mildly entertaining.
    A while back Goo would have been favourite for starting this thread, he's been very quiet lately.
  • nickice
    nickice Posts: 2,439
    edited October 2020
    Pross said:

Shortfall and me? If it's not me, what can I do to get on the shortlist next time?
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    nickice said:

Pross said:

Shortfall and me? If it's not me, what can I do to get on the shortlist next time?
    Oh look, I liked another post. I think what is implicit here is that "one of the nutters" has posted it. It's nice to be appreciated 😂😂😂
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,620

I imagine a devout follower of any religion would see their beliefs on a par with others believing in the existence of the holocaust. Therefore surely it would be appropriate to compare religious deniers with holocaust deniers?

I initially thought you were agreeing with me, but after a reread I realised it is the status quo.
  • Pross
    nickice said:

Pross said:

Nope, it was you or Goo but he hasn't been around much recently.
  • Pross

Pross said:

I hover over it (when on a PC) will tell you.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,663
    nickice said:

rjsterry said:

From the figures I can find, terrorism related deaths account for about 1% of all murders in France over the last 50 years. Let's not give these arseholes any more publicity than they have already managed to grab.

It shows future intention and has a far more chilling effect than other murders. And how many murders would they be committing if they didn't have a whole lot of the security services watching them?
    Pretty sure the police are involved in trying to prevent other murders as well. I think we're just better at ignoring all the other murders.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • nickice

look, it's clearly something that is specific to the far right both in terms of Islamophobia concerns about multicultralism as well as concerns around cancel culture and free speech.
    Those who are concerned about cancel culture and free speech are on the far right?
  • rick_chasey
    nickice said:

Those who are concerned about cancel culture and free speech are on the far right?
    Other way around
  • nickice
    Pross said:

nickice said:

Pross said:

Nope, it was you or Goo but he hasn't been around much recently.
    Shortfall will be disappointed.
  • rick_chasey
    david37 said:

Islamaphobia is labeled far right to demonise it. The left on the other hand appear love all the bits of Islam that are anti society. Right up to the point their children are ripped apart at a concert and even then there are still the yes but comments.

Sorry what are you trying to say here?
  • david37
    edited October 2020

david37 said:

Sorry what are you trying to say here?
    that islamaphobia isnt solely the preserve of the far right, those who should be despised etc.

demonising and shutting down legitimate conversation is what happens when those terms are used. eg he's homophobic. Ah i see we will ignore and silence him. you use them in that way too.
  • nickice

It's possible to believe both that people shouldn't be murdered and that it was an inappropriate thing to teach.

It is but this is what you said-

'teach kids "freedom of expression" by deliberately offending a minority of the class.'

I also think there is a time and a place for criticism of the teacher. My only criticism would be that he was naive in thinking there aren't some real fundamentalists out there who'd attack him. He was murdered for teaching a class. There are no other moral lessons to be taken from this.

• nickice
    If this thread continues, the Muslim population will be the real victims in about another ten posts. The words 'racist' and 'bigot' might appear too.
  • nickice

nickice said:

Other way around
    So it's not specific to the far right?