Helmet accident replacement

13»

Comments

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,203
    edited March 2021
    I tell you what though, these companies are making some serious money on helmets. All they are is a bit of expanded foam with a thin plastic shell.

What, a couple of quid to produce?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,743
    I think it’s quite hard to make the expensive ones so light & airy for the same protection
  • focuszing723
    That's probably fair in relation to top end bikes. I still think the bike industry is taking the proverbial a bit though, due to it's current popularity.
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah, mine was £50 off...
  • focuszing723
    That's good going.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    edited March 2021

Ok so what helmet to replace with?

Assume fit is not an issue. Would like to keep it around £100 but will stretch for a decent one.

In order of priority:
    1) weight
    2) vanity (ideally ridden in the WT)
    3) cooling

does £100 not get a decent one????????

I also note none of your criteria is protection :)
  • rick_chasey
    edited March 2021

That's good going.

Yes and no. £50 off and it was still expensive 😉

Honestly though, it’s really very good.

Amazingly airy. Really very cool - first time I’ve ever had my head get cold with a hat on on a decent.

Very light and the lack of wind noise is remarkable.

Plus the profile seems very small so I have avoided toad like looks.

The other helmets I had, z1 and octal, both had quite a small surface area of the helmet resting on my bald head which always mildly uncomfortable on long rides. This spreads it out much more.

The adjustments at the back, where you can move the back adjuster up and down is also really helpful if you wear caps a lot under your helmet.

I really hate wearing them (though good job I do judging by the beginning of the thread...) and so having one that doesn’t bother me makes a big difference.