Helmet accident replacement

Comments

• Update - 2 broken bones in my wrist

You'll have to use the other hand now! It'll be like someone else is doing it for you. :o
  • shortfall said:

I’ve always replaced my lids after a smack. I value my head more than a couple of hundred quid’s worth of lid. I’ve currently got a Kask Protone, a Kask Utopia, and a Casco Warp sprint. The Utopia is my favourite because it’s incredibly light, the Protone is an everyday lid, and the Warp sprint is the sturdiest lid I have, and the one I’ve had to replace due to a crash most recently.

Have you had many blows to the head then?

• joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338

Update - 2 broken bones in my wrist

You'll have to use the other hand now! It'll be like someone else is doing it for you. :o
    :) I guess that depends on which wrist he broke.

• He's married so is in good hands
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Ok so what helmet to replace with?

Assume fit is not an issue. Would like to keep it around £100 but will stretch for a decent one.

In order of priority:
    1) weight
    2) vanity (ideally ridden in the WT)
    3) cooling
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,490
    One of the Kask ones
  • My replacement options are Lazer Z1 (thought mvdp looked good) or giro cinder.
  • rick_chasey

My replacement options are Lazer Z1 (thought mvdp looked good) or giro cinder.

Yes I had a z1 before this poc & left it on the train
  • joe2019
    Depends on your head shape. I have a round head and love my Kask Protone, previously I wore Giro's and hated them.
  • rick_chasey
    Really tempted by the Abus Airbreaker but it’s £££
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,270
    another vote for the protone (if it fits you)

at speed/in high wind the lack of drag vs. the previous giro aeon is easy to feel, especially in strong crosswinds
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • joe2019
    edited October 2020
    sungod said:

another vote for the protone (if it fits you)

at speed/in high wind the lack of drag vs. the previous giro aeon is easy to feel, especially in strong crosswinds

Other things I really like about the Protone is the lack of any adjustment buckle on the straps, actually makes it easier to fit, and it's low fitting cradling the back of my head.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152

My replacement options are Lazer Z1 (thought mvdp looked good) or giro cinder.

Loved my Z1, the clip on aeroshell makes a difference in the rain too.

Until it comes off in a crosswind and goes under a bus
  • ivanoile
    ivanoile Posts: 202
    Kask doesn't offer crash replacement program, at all, so thats a bit of a downside, neither they care about replacing your helmet.

Although I did get 10% discount (wow) when purchasing new Kask...
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,490
    ivanoile said:

Kask doesn't offer crash replacement program, at all, so thats a bit of a downside, neither they care about replacing your helmet.

Unless it has changed in the last 15 months, that is incorrect in the UK.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    ivanoile said:

As Dorset Boy says that is definitley incorrect in the UK. I enquired last week and you get 50% off RRP when you return your damaged lid. You need to contact the distributor, Velobrands.
  • For £40, you can't go wrong, much aero gains. ;)

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/HECAKROTT/carnac-kronus-time-trial-helmet
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • joe2019

ivanoile said:

As Dorset Boy says that is definitley incorrect in the UK. I enquired last week and you get 50% off RRP when you return your damaged lid. You need to contact the distributor, Velobrands.
    Yep, I got 50% of a new Protone after I'd hit my head in a spill.
  • rick_chasey
    Thanks will investigate after the surgery on my wrist...
  • ivanoile
    ivanoile Posts: 202

ivanoile said:

Whoa, they turned down my Protone last year saying they do not offer any kind of crash replacement, therefore its up to the retailer to decide on the discount. (which was 10%...)

Although, it was for Italy. My bad then.
  • rick_chasey
    OK so update.

I've been turboing and I should be strong enough in the wrist to go out on the road and withstand pothole shocks in early March.

Does anyone have a view on light helmets that have a low profile (i.e.so I don't look like toad)

• https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/HECAKROTT/carnac-kronus-time-trial-helmet for £30 is a steal.

https://www.merlincycles.com/abus-gamechanger-aero-road-bike-helmet-116720.html are raved about, but I'm not sure I could justify spending ~£127 on a helmet, my Giro Savant was £40 four years ago.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • rick_chasey
    Hmm that abus is interesting. I have never really considered an aero helmet on the premise I am 58 kilos, but then I live in the flatlands nowadays.

Does anyone have a view on them? Are they a total sweatfest in summer or are they OK?
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    I know lots of people who have the planet x one and rave about it, but I don't think I've seen any of them wear it for a normal ride.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    I liked my Kask Mojito enough to get another after my accident. Stupidly only realised they do a crash replacement discount after buying a replacement.
  • rick_chasey
    Well I went for a Kask - Vertigo on the premise a) it was on offer, b) I'm bald and I find ventilation more critical as there's not much to mop up sweat before it goes into my eyes and c) it's supposed to have a smaller profile all round (thus avoiding the toad sitaution)

Arrives today. Will let you know as i know you're all on tenterhooks.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I find that no amount of ventilation or pads stop the sweat running in to my eyes or on to my sunglasses. So I wear a Halo head band under my helmet which means I don’t have to my glasses off every time I go hill anymore.
  • rick_chasey
    So seems to fit well and a lower profile than any other helmet I've work so so far so good. Feels very light. First ride on the road since the accident tomorrow hopefully, so will let you know how it performs with a cap underneath...

The crash replacement scheme was a factor in my decision, given that that was why I was buying a new one....
  • rick_chasey
    So I’m pleased with it.

Remarkably light even compared to the POC or the Z1.

Main difference is a lack or whistling or wind noise, which is really welcome.
  • rick_chasey
    Update. Best helmet I’ve had. Should have bought it whenever it came out.