Giro 2020 - Stage 9: San Salvo – Roccaraso 208 km *Spoilers*

2»

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588

Weather took its toll...

Certainly looked like the cold had hit Castroviejo's muscles. He looked to have the power but just couldn't change pace.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    Why has Eisel got a slight Aussie twang? Too much time with Renshaw over the years?
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,815
    edited October 2020
    So, which random EF rider will get into the breakaway and win the next mountain stage I wonder?
    Tough on Castroviejo, who has never won a road race.
    Oh well.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Pross said:

Why has Eisel got a slight Aussie twang? Too much time with Renshaw over the years?

He was teammate of just about every Aussie pro of his era at some point.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    Was convinced Castroviejo had that in the bag.

I missed him bridging up to the break, but it sounds as though Bjerg did a strong ride.

Ineos there in numbers at the finish. Swift impressive to be there with the GC guys just before the finish. I wasn't sure what ineos were doing bringing him back but looks like he has the potential to slot into the train nicely.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836

mrb123 said:

Passo Lanciano is only really the lower part of the true Blockhaus climb. The full climb continues up to over 2000m before finishing up on a little gravel track next to a religious shrine.

Well yes, but it sounded more impressive. ;):D
    Pedant mode - there are 3 climbs to the Blockhaus; this one is arguably the easiest. There's another from Lettomanopello that meets this climb at Passo Lanciano, and perhaps the toughest from Roccamoricce. You can ride from the Adriatic sea at Francavilla to the shrine too, 50 km and over 2000m of climbing 😄
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,620
    davep1 said:

mrb123 said:

Passo Lanciano is only really the lower part of the true Blockhaus climb. The full climb continues up to over 2000m before finishing up on a little gravel track next to a religious shrine.

Well yes, but it sounded more impressive. ;):D
    Pedant mode - there are 3 climbs to the Blockhaus; this one is arguably the easiest. There's another from Lettomanopello that meets this climb at Passo Lanciano, and perhaps the toughest from Roccamoricce. You can ride from the Adriatic sea at Francavilla to the shrine too, 50 km and over 2000m of climbing 😄
    That's the way I did it. Pretty brutal going from sea level to that kind of height in one go.